Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

Message from the KYWCA President concerning the State Final Time Table Change (02/12)

As you have seen, the KHSAA has changed the time table to allow the finalists who have worked to get there to be the main show. They are going to have a one mat final. In order to make this happen, 3rd, 5th, and 7th will be wrestled on six mats. That means two weight classes at once. We as coaches need to flexible in allowing assistants to cover situations that may require a team to be on two mats at once. As fans and parents we need to be thankful that this is part of a solution to save time yet still have a one mat final.

Also, we as coaches, fans, and parents need to talk to our teams about the celebration prior to the finals and highly discourage it in any form. It has become a serious safety issue. People were hit with rolls of toilet paper, etc that lead to broken bones, etc. Many of the parents and coaches that wrote the KHSAA mentioned the one mat final used in the NCAA's and other states. One thing to remember, other states and the NCAA's do not have the chaos before the finals like we had in the past. As someone who sees it from the floor, it does get out of control and unsafe.

Again, the KHSAA is working with the KYWCA, parents, and fans. Please be flexible and help stop the "party" before the finals. Those are the main concerns the KHSAA had in the first place. Time and safety.

I am very thankful they were able to make this change for our sport. Let's show we appreciate it by helping with the two issues above.

Chris McCoy

KYWCA President

I can see the KHSAA's position with 1 mat finals, over half the gym gets bored usually teenagers and they start doing stupid stuff. Im all for 1 mat finals for the state tournament only.

Broken bones ?? Good there is one mat finals , but it's simply the way it should be to begin with and always has been so in reality the tournament is the same But KY loses the one thing that seperated it - the celebration !! Those beach balls and paper didn't kill anyone ,

Thank you for advocating for wrestling and ensuring the best for our children. Also, thank you for presenting the truth related to this issue by discussing the pre-finals problems. If that was one of the main reasons for the initial decision, then all stakeholders (athletes, parents, coaches, and fans) should have been told that from the beginning. We could have saved a lot of time and frustration by addressing that issue head-on.

At this time, it might be helpful to have tighter guidelines regarding what IS acceptable celebration. (What may seem suitable to some might not be for others. And I'd hate for us to disappoint those that rescinded the earlier decision. For example, is body paint okay? What about the beach balls? In a football stadium, they seem appropriate but maybe not so much in our smaller arena?)

Thank you again for all your hard work. I know it is a tiring responsibility with little appreciation.

Wohoo!!!

Finally some common sense from the KHSAA.

Thanks to all those that worked to get the finals back in the spot light!

I have to admit that I always felt like the toilet paper and spinning glow sticks were going to turn in to a problem. Regular toilet paper probably not a big deal but last year I saw industrial size rolls being thrown.... That's just not smart.

I still believe the celebration can be wild, but common sense on out part would go a long way.....!

Coach McCoy, I think it could be a good move to have repeated announcements made about safety concerns after the 3-8 placement matches.

Alright everyone, it's up to us at this point!!!

Have FUN and keep it SAFE!!!!!!!!!

Congradulations to all fans,coaches,parents,and most of all wrestlers. Your efforts have paid off.

Who knows what dividends this will have in the future? will it show young people what can be achieved by comming together for a just cause? will it advance the sport and keep it growing? Will it cause the KHSAA

comission to be less obtrusive and more willing to work TOGETHER with our coaches to resolve issues?

I do not know all the possibilitys of what future ramifications this will cause, But I think whatever

outcome happens will be positive.

Dumb question: What coach doesn't allow assistant coaches to coach when they have more than one  wrestler on the mat?

As one who knows from experience;

There were many years in which I was the only coach on the team.   It makes it difficult to be on two mats at once.  (I believe Scott in NKy only has one coach).  What Ky needs to do is what I have seen in Ohio.  The referee makes sure there is a coach in the corner before they start each match. 

Overall;  Great to see the wrestling community come together.  This site was probably the main contributer to this.  I know many would not have known about this if not for this site.  (I for one would not hav known.)  Great to see that we were able to teach our wrestlers/kids how to get something done in a civilized way.  Using the correct avenues to get an injustice done.  Just one more reason why wrestling is such a great sport.  We were able to take a bad situation and get it changed. 

Broken bones ?? Good there is one mat finals , but it's simply the way it should be to begin with and always has been so in reality the tournament is the same But KY loses the one thing that seperated it - the celebration !! Those beach balls and paper didn't kill anyone ,

Sign in to follow this