Sign in to follow this  
FalconWrestling

Region 1 Predictions

So I have gone through and completed my brackets. Remember what I am providing here are predications and not rankings. There are a couple cases I have of kids getting wins over wrestlers they have never beaten before, for precedent just look at Chandler Martin last year. Like every year some talented kids got some rough draws and some bad kids got some lucky draws. My predictions are what follows and I highly invited you to do the same, if you don’t have access to brackets and want them I can direct you in the right direction. Again I almost plead with you to provide your own predictions in order to promote discussion, they need not be as detailed as mine. Don’t feel nervous over getting picks wrong, my predictions have been vastly incorrect two years in a row now, regionals are where miracles happen and that’s why we wrestle them.

1. Saul Ervin, Union County

2. Luie Regaldo, Fort Campbell

3. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County

4. Eric Gonzalez, McCracken County

5. Zenon Rodriguez, Paducah Tilghman

6. Caleb Hammons, Caldwell County

Dark Horse: Devontae Turner, Trigg County

Ervin is probably going to untouched in the region. But a definite match to watch in the semi’s would be the 3rd match between Regaldo and Sapp, Sapp won the first one and Regaldo the second. The rest of the bunch includes five wrestlers with legitimate shots at 4th place. Gonzalez probably has the best draw of that group hence I place him at fourth, even though I feel Rodriguez is the fourth best wrestler at that weight. Rodriguez missing most of the year gives him a very rough draw where he faces both Saul Ervin and either Sapp or Regaldo. Hammons, Turner, and Knight all have each other to face in an attempt to reach that coveted fourth place spot.

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County

2. Froilan Agulto, Christian County

3. Jack Haynes, Calloway County

4. James Whitaker, Caldwell County

5. Alex Curl, Fort Campbell

6. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown

Dark Horse: Dakota Himes, Ohio County

Again Union gets another easy champ here, but second is fairly wide open. Agulto and Haynes should be a decent semi’s match. With DeWitt out Alex Curl is in for Fort Campbell and an easy regional finalist for Fort Campbell is lost in their tight team race. Keep an eye on Curl as his results hold major implications if Fort Campbell seeks another runner-up finish, Curl got a very tough draw getting Sheffer for his first match and faces the loser between Haynes and Agulto for state. I am shorting Himes a bit here, he is seeded to place but I have him losing to Curl, still keep an eye on him. Whitaker got a very good draw which should make Caldwell happy.

1. Robbie Dezember, Union County

2. Wes Gray, Caldwell County

3. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman

4. Camerin Cole, Christian County

5. Daniel Dyess, UHA

6. Ethan Feezor, Graves County

Dark Horse: Joseph Briggs, Calloway County

Dezember is the favorite but faces two tough challengers in Miller and Gray. Paducah should be rightfully up in arms over me giving Gray a win over Miller in the semi’s despite Miller’s thrashing of Gray in their last meeting. This is of course my attempt at finding some crazy upset which happens every year. This upset is based off of the fact I can see Miller slipping up and making a stupid mistake that gets himself caught on his back against Gray. Cole has a pretty simple bracket to place if he can get past Dyess, if Dyess can pull off a win against Cole he should cruise to a state qualifying spot.

1. Trae Blackwell, Union County

2. Caleb Austin, Christian County

3. Chance Collins, UHA

4. Austin Zeppes, Calloway County

5. Samuel Yates, Hoptown

6. Jack Daniels, Paducah Tilghman

Dark Horse: Justin Crabtree, Trigg County

With Kline out of the picture, Austin and Blackwell are clear cut favorites to meet in the finals. Collins holds a fairly easy path to state, but could lose to Zeppes for third. Zeppes however has to first get past Samuel Yates and then either Jack Daniels or Justin Crabtree. Because of this I give Collins the nod here. Outside of Crabtree also keep an eye on Jordan McKinnon, one of those kids Fort Campbell needs to score a couple points.

1. Brock Ervin, Union County

2. Chandler Martin, McCracken County

3. BJ Miller, Ohio County

4. Connor Jaschen, Hoptown

5. Dalton Putty, UHA

6. Logan Thomas, Calloway County

Dark Horse: Daniel Moll, Caldwell County

BJ Miller gets a rough draw here ending up on the same side of the bracket as Brock Ervin. As long as Chandler Martin wrestles like he did last year he should cruise into the regional finals, but Jaschen is still a very tough wrestler. Outside of the top four Putty and Thomas are both capable of the big upset needed to breaking in, but I think Thomas might have a slightly easier bracket. I pick Moll out of a solid bunch which includes Bailey Conley of Fort Campbell as my dark horse here.

1. Brian Hedrick, Fort Campbell

2. Chris Gilkey, Caldwell County

3. Jackson Oxford, Union County

4. Ryan Bunch, Ohio County

5. Daniel Ingram, Trigg County

6. Nicholas Walls, Calloway County

Dark Horse: Diion Leavell, Christian County

This weight is very tough, and it also sees another of my major upsets, not my last though. I really want to see Hedrick redeem himself of his performance last year, but that would require wins over the extremely tough Jackson Oxford then getting revenge over Chris Gilkey, his is not an easy bracket as he also has to wrestle Diion Leavell in his first match. Like I’ve said in my rankings I could see Oxford, Hedrick, and Gilkey finish in any order and honestly I think Oxford has the easiest bracket. But that’s not saying much since there are tons of tough kids at this weight. I pick Bunch to get revenge over Ingram but it is still very possible he loses to Ingram or even to Walls of Calloway County. Leavell is capable of getting an upset or two to break back into the top six, but it’s really tough at this weight.

1. Chad Gahafer, Union County

2. Isaiah Frank, Calloway County

3. Kevi Matlock, Christian County

4. Ryan Gallogly, Trigg County

5. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

6. Ivan Lawson, Hoptown

Dark Horse: Braden Sperry, Caldwell County

I have another major upset here with Isaiah Frank over Kevi Matlock in the semi’s. Frank has been wrestling great all year, while Matlock has barely been able to wrestle. I could even see Frank pulling off the upset over Gahafer. Outside of those three, Gallogly seems a virtual lock for fourth, but wouldn’t it be amusing if he illegally slammed Ryder in the consolation semi’s to get Ryder to state just like Nighgell Davidson slammed Gallogly to state the past two years. Ryder and Lawson should be an interesting match if they meet again for fifth place.

1. Keegan Agnew, Caldwell County

2. Robert Bussell, Hoptown

3. Kobe Perry, Christian County

4. Jeremy Hackworth, McCracken County

5. Jaishon Faishon, Trigg County

6. Tim Pike, Union County

Dark Horse: AJ Frias, Fort Campbell

Agnew should win this weight pretty easy, but Bussell is very tough. Bussell however has to get through Perry which isn’t a lock. I debated putting Hackworth over Perry in their 3rd place match, but I will defer to the seeds on this one and I feel everyone deserves a break from my upset predictions. Outside of those four it’s a really case of who has the best draw and I gave that to Faishon and Pike.

1. Nathan Williams, Hoptown

2. Kenny Sells, Christian County

3. Avery Buckman, Union County

4. Andrew Walls, Caldwell County

5. Will Crabtree, UHA

6. Bryce Elliot, Calloway County

Dark Horse: Conner Keenan, Fort Campbell

I have Sells with an upset over Buckman here, and I could even see Sells upsetting Williams. Outside of those three, Walls has a very good draw especially over Crabtree. I have Elliot upsetting Crabtree in the championship round, and if he does so that will ruin any shot Crabtree has at state as he would then have to face either Sells or Buckman. There were several wrestlers I looked at for my dark horse but I settled on Keenan, who like Frias mentioned last weight is someone Fort Campbell needs to pick up the slack created by not having DeWitt and Davidson two of their best wrestlers.

1. Ki Ryder, Fort Campbell

2. Isaac Lawson, Hoptown

3. Xavier Pate, Christian County

4. Kane Morris, Union County

5. Jared Turner, Paducah Tilghman

6. Lucas Marquez, Graves County

Dark Horse: Tige Littlefield, Caldwell County

Ryder and Lawson should be a good match in the finals, and I will have you know I decided Lawson was going to stay at 170 before the brackets were released. However Pate has been on a tear lately and could definitely upend both Lawson and Ryder. These three all have good shots at state, and that does not discount Kane Morris. But Morris has had a bit of a down year this year. There are a couple wrestlers competing for fifth including Jones from Trigg not mentioned here.

1. Devin Smith, Union County

2. Gino Haywood, Fort Campbell

3. Jacob Harris, Christian County

4. Mario Miles, Hoptown

5. Kyler Bohn, Trigg County

6. D’Juan Sherrill, Paducah Tilghman

Dark Horse: Collin Feezor, Graves County

Devin Smith and Gino Haywood are the premier matchup going into regionals, but Harris is eyeing Haywood in the semi’s just as Christian and Fort Campbell are competing for second place in the region. Miles is tough but he drew Devin Smith. I give Bohn and Sherrill the edge but there are several wrestlers competing in that echelon.

1. Aaron Stevens, Trigg County

2. Bradley Easterling, Ohio County

3. Conner Sherman, Union County

4. Kajwan Majors, Christian County

5. Cody Jackson, Calloway County

6. Enrique Martinez, Fort Campbell

Dark Horse: Clinton Gross, McCracken County

I have gone back and forth these past couple days over who to give the edge at 195. I decided at the last second to say Stevens gets revenge because it’s the better storyline. Both Stevens and Easterling are eyeing podium finishes at state and their match should be one of the premier finals matches at regionals. Sherman and Majors appear pretty locked in for 3rd and 4th but don’t count out Jackson of getting an upset. I really don’t foresee Martinez getting any higher than 6th, but he’s proven me wrong occasionally. It’s a very small bracket so I really only had two options for a Dark Horse

1. Zach Farris, Ohio County

2. Bryan Carter, Union County

3. AJ Ogburn, Fort Campbell

4. Tevin Toler, Christian County

5. Colby Culver, Calloway County

6. Eugene Butler, Hoptown

Dark Horse: Tyler Scarbrough, Paducah Tilghman

Farris has looked very good all year and I don’t think Carter has reached the point that he could top him. Ogburn and Toler is another close match I have gone back and forth on. Fort Campbell upper weights have a history of pulling out wins when I least expect them so against my better judgment I am giving Ogburn the edge here. Culver and Butler are both very tough and if they wrestle smart they could sneak into the top 4.

1. Raynel Brown, Union County

2. Luke Shaffer, Ohio County

3. Jake Jorstad, Fort Campbell

4. Dominic Hephner, Paducah Tilghman

5. Noah Kennedy, Caldwell County

6. Maurice Catlett, Trigg County

Dark Horse: Dezjuan Owen, Hoptown

As usual Heavyweight is next to impossible to predict. The key match to watch here is the battle of old practice partners in Hephner vs Kennedy. However this match goes I believe will determine the final order at heavyweight. Any match with these 7 mentioned could basically go any way, with only Brown sitting in a relatively secure spot. But again, I’ve narrowed it done to Kennedy v Hephner, that’s the big one.

Now post your own predictions before I cry, I can list seeds if needed, I have brackets but it would be far too much of a hassle to transfer my notes from paper into a format you can see.

I have to say, Crabtree (UHA) has gotten a lot better. If he can keep from making mistakes in the last few seconds of matches, he could actually be the surprise. He gave up a last second takedown to Lawson at Calloway for OT, then a bad shot to lose the match. He was up I think 7-2 at Mustang Classic to the champion from Central and got stuck with seconds left, does he have the heart to finish.

I think a great 1st round match will be Cam Cole (ChCo) vs Daniel Dyess (UHA).

Don't count out Unions upper weight classes for anything, their history shows they bring it this time of year. Hoptown will have a really good team showing this year for sure

I like the Gray over Miller pick, Wes will have Dylan ready.

hard to do predictions when the brackets arent even released on track yet. They were supposed to be released at 7pm central tonight but got pushed back until 7pm thursday night. can someone upload a pdf of them?

Basically my rankings matched the seeds at every weight except for 106 and 285, I wish I could get you brackets but my hands are tied. You can post them now and if you really want to make them accurate edit them after you can see a bracket. But only a handful of weights such as 106 and 138 have guys who aren't seeded that have good shots at placing

Ok folks all the hard work put in this season is getting ready to show this weekend. Again and as usual it will be a display of Union’s exceptional greatness in Region 1. Everyone knows Union will win the Region easily as always and then move on and take state. The feeling of jealousy will fill the stands at Paducah when Union enters the complex as always. Now let me do some predictions or should I say the outcome. I may be a couple off but not having the brackets makes it more challenging. 

2. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County

3. Devontae Turner, Trigg County

4. Luie Regaldo, Fort Campbell

There is no need for a 5th seed because if you can’t be in the top four then stay home. Regaldo has run his course for the year. Beating Sapp was a fluke at Ft Knox and Turner will reap his revenge on Regaldo at Paducah. Ervin will prevail easily over Sapp.

I will Agree with FCHS on this weight class except Curl will definitely not be in the Hunt. If DeWitt was back for Ft Campbell he would do what he did last year and be sitting at home again.

2. Camerin Cole, Christian County

3. Wes Gray, Caldwell County

4. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman

Dezember is the favorite? Really!! Robbie will win 120 but I think it will be a close match between him and Cole. Miller? Well there is a reason why he dropped and it is because he can’t pull the big win out. Gray will wrestle like usual solid and he will pull out 3rd.

3. Chance Collins, UHA

With Kline out of the picture, Austin and Blackwell are clear cut favorites to meet in the finals? Do you really believe Kline would even have a chance with Blackwell or Austin? If Kline was in the race he would be pulling up after Collins pulled out the win on him. Zeppes better keep his game tight or Yates will pull the rug out for 4th.

I agree with FCHS on this group as well. Brock is on his way to 5x Timer so sit back and watch the show.

1. Jackson Oxford, Union County

2. Brian Hedrick, Fort Campbell

3. Chris Gilkey, Caldwell County

This is a tough weight class but Oxford is going to make it easy for us. He is going to put the brakes on Hedricks and most likely pin Gilkey is what I am predicting.  I have not seen any brackets yet but I think it will be Hedricks and Oxford in the finals and Hedricks just runs out of gas as usual against tough competition.

2. Kevi Matlock, Christian County

3. Isaiah Frank, Calloway County

4. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

Gahafer will definitely pull out the win but if Matlock’s shoulder can hold up he may give Gahafer a challenge. I think little Ryder will turn up the heat and pull out 4th. He got a late start this season but he is not going to let his brother go to state without him.

4. Tim Pike, Union County

Agnew should win I agree but Pike is going to pull 4th away from Hackworth.

1. Kenny Sells, Christian County

2. Avery Buckman, Union County

3.  Nathan Williams, Hoptown

Sells will pull off 160 instead of Williams. Williams has hit the end of the road for this season. Buckman will pull out 2nd.

2. Isaac Lawson, Hoptown

3. Kane Morris, Union County

4. Xavier Pate, Christian County

This will be a good finals match between Lawson and Ryder. I am assuming they will be on opposite sides of the bracket that is. Ryder better pick it up though because Lawson is not going to hand it to him. Pate got lucky the last two times against Morris. Morris will open the can this time around on Pate.

4. Mario Miles, Hoptown

I believe this class stands as is!

I believe 195 is weak class this year so anything could really happen here.

I believe Carter may pull the trigger on Farris this time in the finals. Ogburn and Toler will battle for 3rd not really sure who will win this one.

3. Noah Kennedy, Caldwell County

Brown will do what he does best in Region 1 and that is winning. Jorstad will definitely not be a factor at HWY this year. The couple times I have watched him wrestle it was sloppy and out of control. Plus, he can’t make it out of the first round without an oxygen tank. Kennedy will pull out 3rd from Hepher. 

Now FCHS, you will not get as many complaints this time for your region results. I am sure there will be a few feed backs on mine but folks hate the truth sometimes. Good luck to all you wrestlers this weekend!! This is where all that hard work will pay off.

The only bracket error I noticed in my half asleep state was that as the 2 and 3 seeds Oxford and Hedrick will meet in the semi finals. Also to be fair to Jorstad, I am pretty sure he has never lost to Hephner.

Anyone else care to take the challenge of predicting regions? We won't get access to the actual brackets until right before regionals and by then it would be too late to discuss anything

Ok folks all the hard work put in this season is getting ready to show this weekend. Again and as usual it will be a display of Union’s exceptional greatness in Region 1. Everyone knows Union will win the Region easily as always and then move on and take state. The feeling of jealousy will fill the stands at Paducah when Union enters the complex as always. Now let me do some predictions or should I say the outcome. I may be a couple off but not having the brackets makes it more challenging. 

2. Kaleb Sapp, Ohio County

3. Devontae Turner, Trigg County

4. Luie Regaldo, Fort Campbell

There is no need for a 5th seed because if you can’t be in the top four then stay home. Regaldo has run his course for the year. Beating Sapp was a fluke at Ft Knox and Turner will reap his revenge on Regaldo at Paducah. Ervin will prevail easily over Sapp.

I will Agree with FCHS on this weight class except Curl will definitely not be in the Hunt. If DeWitt was back for Ft Campbell he would do what he did last year and be sitting at home again.

2. Camerin Cole, Christian County

3. Wes Gray, Caldwell County

4. Derek Miller, Paducah Tilghman

Dezember is the favorite? Really!! Robbie will win 120 but I think it will be a close match between him and Cole. Miller? Well there is a reason why he dropped and it is because he can’t pull the big win out. Gray will wrestle like usual solid and he will pull out 3rd.

3. Chance Collins, UHA

With Kline out of the picture, Austin and Blackwell are clear cut favorites to meet in the finals? Do you really believe Kline would even have a chance with Blackwell or Austin? If Kline was in the race he would be pulling up after Collins pulled out the win on him. Zeppes better keep his game tight or Yates will pull the rug out for 4th.

I agree with FCHS on this group as well. Brock is on his way to 5x Timer so sit back and watch the show.

1. Jackson Oxford, Union County

2. Brian Hedrick, Fort Campbell

3. Chris Gilkey, Caldwell County

This is a tough weight class but Oxford is going to make it easy for us. He is going to put the brakes on Hedricks and most likely pin Gilkey is what I am predicting.  I have not seen any brackets yet but I think it will be Hedricks and Oxford in the finals and Hedricks just runs out of gas as usual against tough competition.

2. Kevi Matlock, Christian County

3. Isaiah Frank, Calloway County

4. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

Gahafer will definitely pull out the win but if Matlock’s shoulder can hold up he may give Gahafer a challenge. I think little Ryder will turn up the heat and pull out 4th. He got a late start this season but he is not going to let his brother go to state without him.

4. Tim Pike, Union County

Agnew should win I agree but Pike is going to pull 4th away from Hackworth.

1. Kenny Sells, Christian County

2. Avery Buckman, Union County

3.  Nathan Williams, Hoptown

Sells will pull off 160 instead of Williams. Williams has hit the end of the road for this season. Buckman will pull out 2nd.

2. Isaac Lawson, Hoptown

3. Kane Morris, Union County

4. Xavier Pate, Christian County

This will be a good finals match between Lawson and Ryder. I am assuming they will be on opposite sides of the bracket that is. Ryder better pick it up though because Lawson is not going to hand it to him. Pate got lucky the last two times against Morris. Morris will open the can this time around on Pate.

4. Mario Miles, Hoptown

I believe this class stands as is!

I believe 195 is weak class this year so anything could really happen here.

I believe Carter may pull the trigger on Farris this time in the finals. Ogburn and Toler will battle for 3rd not really sure who will win this one.

3. Noah Kennedy, Caldwell County

Brown will do what he does best in Region 1 and that is winning. Jorstad will definitely not be a factor at HWY this year. The couple times I have watched him wrestle it was sloppy and out of control. Plus, he can’t make it out of the first round without an oxygen tank. Kennedy will pull out 3rd from Hepher. 

Now FCHS, you will not get as many complaints this time for your region results. I am sure there will be a few feed backs on mine but folks hate the truth sometimes. Good luck to all you wrestlers this weekend!! This is where all that hard work will pay off.

CLEARLY you have not seen Jorstad wrestle this season, and your words are both cruel, and incorrect. A little history lesson for you: Jorstad, prior to Nov 2013 had never wrestled. Having completed his football season, decided to try it.  His first practice was the day after Thanksgiving.  He qualified for and placed 12th at State.  Being in condition for football, and being in condition for wrestling are completely different.  Also, Dominc Hephner has never beaten Jorstad.  

Lets remember that THE ATHLETES read these posts also and rude insulting comments are unnecessary.

No more excuses then, let's get some more predictions going. Who doesn't want the bragging rights from correctly predicting the madness that is the Region Tournament?

To touch more on pace's predictions. Pike is a Union trained wrestler yes, but his only good regional win this year is over Malik Cunningham. Hackworth is who Pike needs to beat to go to state, but Pike would have to wrestle very well.

I also mention lower tier Fort Campbell wrestlers vs those from other schools since I consider the race for second to be between Christian County, Fort Campbell, and Hoptown thus those wrestlers are important to watch

CLEARLY you have not seen Jorstad wrestle this season, and your words are both cruel, and incorrect. A little history lesson for you: Jorstad, prior to Nov 2013 had never wrestled. Having completed his football season, decided to try it.  His first practice was the day after Thanksgiving.  He qualified for and placed 12th at State.  Being in condition for football, and being in condition for wrestling are completely different.  Also, Dominc Hephner has never beaten Jorstad.  

Lets remember that THE ATHLETES read these posts also and rude insulting comments are unnecessary.

I'm wondering how one would get 12th at state??

I was thinking the same thing CoachC

Predictions:

106: Ervin, Sapp, Regaldo, Turner

113: Sheffer, Aguilto, Whitaker, Haynes

120: Dezember, Gray, Miller, Cole

126: Blackwell, Austin, Collins, Zeppes

132: Ervin, Martin, Miller, Jachsen

138: Gilkey, Oxford, Hedrick, Ingram

145: Gahafer, Matlock, Frank, Gallogly

152: Agnew, Bussell, Perry, Pike (if higher seeds win then pike would have to go through Trent, Allen, then Faishon to qualify)

160: Williams, Sells, Buckman, Crabtree

170: Ryder, Lawson, Morris, Pate

182: Smith, Haywood, Harris, Miles

195: Stevens, Easterling, Sherman, Major

220: Farris, Carter, Toler, Ogburn

285: Raynel, Kenneday, Shaffer, Jorstad

I have to disagree on two weight class ukpride. Call me a homer, but Dyess is wrestling really well and over the past month has quality wins. Only losses were to Boston (#1 in nation), and Erdman (Ryle) during that stretch, I really like Cameron (great kid) but I'm gonna go with Dyess.

Now the Miller (OHCO) vs Putty (UHA) is a toss up. Miller beat him handily at the duel meet at Ohio Co, but because this second round match will be just like the Cole vs Dyess matchup, the winner of both matches will punch their ticket to Lexington.

I believe UHA will take four to Lexington.

Nothing wrong with being a homer, you see the work that gets put in and your proud of your kids and try to encourage them. We always want the best for our own and we should think during a close match our kids will get the edge and win.

I would love to see Sapp get in the finals and come out on top in a great match between him and Saul.

I think both Miller and Bunch do work and make the top 4.

I think everyone is overlooking Easterling and what he did to Stevens at Ft Knox, he's for real and can win 195.

Farris and carter should be a good match with Farris winning.

And if Schaffer comes in with a little confidence and is aggressive he can make the HVY WT finals.

Yes I am a homer too,

Ohio Co will have 4 in the finals all with a great chance to win, and 6 will make it to Lexington.

Now that it has a name, I can come out of the closet I to am a HOMER! Hhaha.

But seriously could see ohio county sending 6 to state which would be an awesome accomplishment with all the gaps we have had in our line up.

Outside of Dyess and his great win over Camerin Cole, most of my predictions seem to be good so far. Wrestling starts up again in a couple minutes. Union is of course far in the lead, Christian County is in second, then about 20 points behind are Caldwell, Hoptown, and Fort Campbell in a virtual deadlock with half a point separating each team. Tournaments are won in the consi's boys, let's get them going.

Great job to all the Region 1 wrestlers this weekend!

106- Ervin

Sapp

113- Sheffer

Agulto

120- Miller

Dezember

126- Blackwell

Austin

132- Ervin

Jaschen

138- Oxford

Gilkey