Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

State tournament time table

Tony Vanetti of 790 WKRD and the host of the sports show Afternoon Underdogs, has a young son involved in wrestling, he talks about the sport every once in awhile on his show. This could possibly be a media source to help get his issue out if anyone has a way to contact him. Just throwing out ideas.

I'm sure coach mccoy would be willing to talk to the media as head of the coaches association.

Tony Vanetti of 790 WKRD and the host of the sports show Afternoon Underdogs, has a young son involved in wrestling, he talks about the sport every once in awhile on his show. This could possibly be a media source to help get his issue out if anyone has a way to contact him. Just throwing out ideas. 

Tony@wqmf.com

His son is on the Shamrock youth team.

Response from Julian Tackett.  I have to say if there are 'safety' elements involved I'm failing to see them.  I also don't see how this is in keeping with his comment that the kids are the number one concern.  At least he responded and perhaps there will be an opportunity for this discussion during the 'review'.

Thank you for the feedback. The issues were discussed with the Advisory Committee and various other states. Nothing done in the event management that the staff does here is done on a whim, it is carefully reviewed and considered, with the kids and safety elements being the number one concern. I am going to support the changes developed by the staff, which factor in many more issues than a finals schedule.

As always, these events are reviewed in depth following each competition, and I am sure there will be such a review after this one as well.

Thanks again and travel safely.

Called and spoke to Mr. Barren, Seemed nice enough, talked for about 10 mins. about the reasons they felt the need to change the format.

He did not seem to be seriously concidering any thoughts of changeing back. said he was very busy with getting the regional tournaments

setup and would not be responding to e-mails. Now I understand you parents with kids have/want to attend. But for us empty nester fans,

We may concider a boycott, several hundred people spending nada. Will not cost any less to host the tournaments, but if tens of thousands of $

vanish from the revenue i'm sure they would take notice of that!

Apparently Mr. Barren and the others forget that Ky taxpayers pay their salary!!!!!!!!!!!  They work for us instead of the opposite.  I think it is time that they understand this is the order!!!!!!!!!!!  We need to find a way to communicate with them that we are not happy about this and they have to be accountable for their decisions, especially decisions that set our sport back.  No responding to emails is an insult!!

• Upvote 1

The people not staying for heavy weight matches is not a viable reason, we gave them a solution. You simple random draw a weight and make it the final match, like dake vs taylor. The coaches submitted solutions to every problem, but they wouldn't listen

My son wrestles in the heavyweight class as did I when I was in high school.   I know many folks leave before his matches in large touraments when he is in the finals.  I don't necessarily like this but I understand people have distance to travel and want to get home.  I personally like the idea of the random draw like most duals have.  This way it might be the 106 weight class that wrestles last.  Another idea that has been thrown around in this thread and others is to wait till after the last match to hand out awards.

Email sent -

Hello sir,

I am a senior at Campbell County high school and I have caught wind that we will be wrestling all of the state placing rounds at the same time. This is an email asking you to reconsider.

Last year I placed fifth at the state tournament and stood and watched as the finals took place with me falling one match short. There was no better motivation for me to improve and be there the next year. When I say it takes away from what I have worked for my whole career if you do this , that is an understatement. I am positive that all my fellow competitors feel the same. I have a good shot at making the finals but if I make the finals or not the way it has previously been is the way it belongs to stay. If you are worthy of being the best two in the state then you deserve to be showcased for all to see. It gives the youth and middle school a dream, a dream of one day being under those lights.

I also participate in football and there is no semi final matches that are played on the day before or at the same time as the state finals. It's one weekend for semifinals and one weekend of championships. This is the equivalent in our sport. I speak for the wrestlers on our team and for the state when I say please reconsider and let us have our moment of champions.

Sincerely,

Dustin Turner 170lb state finalist hopeful

tony@790wkrd.com is the email address I got online when I searched.  I will send him an email to see if he will discuss this topic!

Response from Julian Tackett.  I have to say if there are 'safety' elements involved I'm failing to see them.  I also don't see how this is in keeping with his comment that the kids are the number one concern.  At least he responded and perhaps there will be an opportunity for this discussion during the 'review'.

Thank you for the feedback. The issues were discussed with the Advisory Committee and various other states. Nothing done in the event management that the staff does here is done on a whim, it is carefully reviewed and considered, with the kids and safety elements being the number one concern. I am going to support the changes developed by the staff, which factor in many more issues than a finals schedule.

As always, these events are reviewed in depth following each competition, and I am sure there will be such a review after this one as well.

Thanks again and travel safely.

Wow! What a BS answer! Very politician like

This is what I sent.

Dear Mr. Barren,

As a parent, teacher, and longtime wrestling advocate, I strongly disagree with the recent decision made by the KHSAA to eliminate wrestling state finals as the main event of the state tournament.

The State Wrestling Finals have long been a way for the wrestling community to come together and celebrate the achievements of those dedicated to the sport. These matches are special because they represent the pinnacle of the entire season—whether a wrestler from their own team is in the finals or not. Perhaps like no other sport, wrestling is very much a brotherhood--not just on their own teams but across the state. Wrestlers create long standing relationships with others from different teams. These relationships are built on mutual respect, admiration, and appreciation for what these young men contribute to the sport. During The State Finals athletes and fans alike cheer for each finalist as if he was on their team. Without main event finals matches, the unity of our wrestling community will be weakened.

I have been involved in wrestling since 1992 when the State Finals were held at Atherton High School. Each year, I watched excitedly as wrestling teams, tournaments, and organizations grew stronger allowing more youth the opportunity to participate in a truly life-changing pastime. The decision to move the State Tournament to the Al-Tech Arena was a monumental achievement that finally provided wrestling the type of venue its athletes and fans deserved. However, the decision to eliminate main event finals seems to be going in the wrong direction, a step backward.

We do not want to jeopardize what many have worked tirelessly to rebuild in our commonwealth. And even with those gains, regrettably, wrestling is still a sport where participants’ accomplishments are often overshadowed by more popular mainstream sports. We understand and accept that. However, the State Finals is one of the very few times where wrestlers get their proper recognition. The pageantry associated with The Finals has led many young wrestlers, my sons included, to aim for higher goals, to accomplish more than the status quo, to work harder so that one day they may stand in that coveted spot light representing their teams, their families, and their state.

Please reconsider this decision. Keep the State Finals as the main event of the tournament--a tradition that unites and celebrates the sport of wrestling.

It is awful that the sport association is run by people who know nothing nor care to know anything about wrestling. These kids work hard and deserve to be recognized. Imagine if your son is wrestling in a conso match you can forget about getting to see the championship match. Two steps back.

So why does one guy to change it even though everyone disagrees?

Let's protest!!!!

Unfortunately because he's the commissioner and he can do what ever he wants. Remember, we are dealing with the same guy who sent out the infamous "handshake memo". How did that turn out for him?

Prolonging the tournament makes them more money does it not? I potentially will have 2 sons in the finals this year. They will not get the fan fair they have worked for.

Hate to say this but khsaa has become about nothing more than money. This causes more people to stay and longer. It should be about the kids but Barron and the rest care nothin about the magnitude of affect this have on the kids. There's a simple but hard solution, break their pockets and it we might have a voice in the matter when they are at our mercy. Spectators must not attend leave this years audience be parents and coaches only and they will hate. Don't buy the high priced food or uniforms they sell. Break them is our only voice nothing else matters to people that's never competed in this sport besides the money

Only appropriate for the quarter sized medals that the champions get!  Like I said last year, after this season, I will never attend another KHSAA event except for 3 years of soccer until my daughter is finished then never.  They are only interested in one thing and that is their 6 figure incomes, period! 

Keep up the pressure and at least require a non B.S. response from someone.

Below is my message to Mr. Tackett.

(I also copied Mr. Barren on this)

On Feb 6, 2014, at 8:40 PM, "Kevin Griffith" <Griffith@roughbros.com> wrote:

Mr. Tackett,

Below is an email which I sent earlier to Mr. Barren concerning the KHSAA wrestling finals, I'm hoping you will read it in full.

I'm copying you because I received no response from Mr. Barren.

I've also read a response that you sent to another party stating your position on this issue.

You stated that the decision was made with consultation of a committee and that it was in the best interest of the kids.

I present to you that this change will actually hurt kids chances of recruitment and will be a step backwards for our sport. Many of the kids placing 3-8 are extremely capable of receiving college scholarships, this move will only take the recruiters focus off those kids.

Rather than support a committee that made a grievous mistake, please consider the impact that your decisions have on the the kids and our sport.

You will not find anyone in the wrestling community that is supportive of this format, not one coach, parent, wrestler, fan or college recruiter that agrees with this decision.

Were there any wrestling coaches on your consulting committee?

Was there any consideration given concerning college recruitment?

It is not too late to correct the mistake that is scheduled to happen.

I'm hopeful that you will give consideration to my message and respond with a thoughtful reply.

Thank you,

Kevin Griffith

On Feb 6, 2014, at 10:04 AM, "Kevin Griffith" <Griffith@roughbros.com> wrote:

Mr Barren,

It has come to our attention in the wrestling community that the schedule has been set to run the matches for places 1st through 8th place simultaneously, on the final day of the championships.

This is a huge disservice to the wrestlers that spend many years in training, make it through a grueling season, and reach the finals.

It is a disservice to the true fan of the sport sitting in the stands being forced to choose which match they watch.

It is equally a disservice to the college recruiters sitting in the stands trying to make the same choice. Many of these kids that place in the state tournament are looking for and are good enough to receive wrestling scholarships.

Taking the opportunity away from focusing on placers 3-8 will only diminish possible opportunities for those kids.

For what reason, all in the name of saving an hour and a half or two?

I'm hopeful that enough people will point out the mistake that is about to be made and the KHSAA will reconsider it's decision.

Please give our sport and these athletes the deserved recognition that goes along with the State Championships.

Hold up the State Wrestling Finals (1-2 place) on the pedestal it deserves and give it the solo spotlight!

Thank you,

Kevin Griffith

Email sent -

Hello sir,

I am a senior at Campbell County high school and I have caught wind that we will be wrestling all of the state placing rounds at the same time. This is an email asking you to reconsider.

Last year I placed fifth at the state tournament and stood and watched as the finals took place with me falling one match short. There was no better motivation for me to improve and be there the next year. When I say it takes away from what I have worked for my whole career if you do this , that is an understatement. I am positive that all my fellow competitors feel the same. I have a good shot at making the finals but if I make the finals or not the way it has previously been is the way it belongs to stay. If you are worthy of being the best two in the state then you deserve to be showcased for all to see. It gives the youth and middle school a dream, a dream of one day being under those lights.

I also participate in football and there is no semi final matches that are played on the day before or at the same time as the state finals. It's one weekend for semifinals and one weekend of championships. This is the equivalent in our sport. I speak for the wrestlers on our team and for the state when I say please reconsider and let us have our moment of champions.

Sincerely,

Dustin Turner 170lb state finalist hopeful

May need more of this , this is who it affects !!

This is slap in the face. The high school wrestling medals and awards are horrible, really how much are they saving? Now this! These wrestlers deserve to have their moment on one mat, center stage period. The middle school wrestling association runs circles around these guys! I vote to put Jason Moore and John Roth in charge of the high school tournament! They surely have gotten it right with the middle school kids!

WOW,I never read anything like this on this site,Everyone sticking together and agreeing on something.It is the 911 to our sport. I hope everyone can stick together and come up with some ideas to make us heard.I for one would be willing a boycott to hit them where it hurts. I know it would be very hard to miss my sons matches but for the greater good I could do it. If everone on here would have all their family and friends out in front of the horse park before wrestling begins with signs protesting this move and when wrestling starts have only one family member go in and make calls to us for updates, and all of us could go to the closest Bar and Grill or stay out front depending on weather. We may even get media notice either in front of the horse park or at the place we choose to go. Maybe extreme but I am willing. Keep sticking together or everybody should just refuse to spend any money once you go in.

I'm sure the wrestlers would want the stands full.  Instead maybe do something else like everyone wearing the same t-shirt with a slogan.  I'm not very good at this but something along the lines of "One Final One Mat"

I would buy and wear something like that, and it should be a really obnoxiously bright color so they can be seen throughout the whole arena

This is the reply I got from Mr. Barren.  Has anyone else gotten a reply? I don't under the safety issues to the wrestlers....

Thank you for the feedback. The Tournament management issues were discussed with the Advisory Committee made up of wrestling coaches representing every region, and our staff meets regularly with various other states associations about tournament management. Nothing done in the event management that the staff does here is done on a whim, it is carefully reviewed and considered, with the kids and safety elements being the number one concern. Any changes developed by the staff, factor in many more issues than a finals schedule. Forgive me that emails don’t always express tone very well, because I don’t want to sound as if I am not listening to your concerns. I just have a different view of our mission. I believe our task is to provide the safest and most memorable experience possible for as many of our student athletes as we can. It would greatly reduce the variables of running a wrestling tournament if we only were to highlight the eight Regional champions; notice I didn’t say eight best wrestlers in the state, because sometimes the second or third best might be in the same region as the best. But if we wanted to “showcase” them, it would be easy to bring in those eight and do a one day tournament that draws attention to those eight. We are bringing in 448 wrestlers to one site, to give them the memory of competing in a State Championship. Being a parent of two high school athletes that are not as talented as the very best, I know they work just as hard to be the best. They may never get to have that experience, but I’m thankful that their high school Coach and Principal and the staff here at the KHSAA work very hard to give them the best possible high school athletic experience. It is our task to make sure that the 5th and 25th place finisher has just as safe and memorable experience as the most talented wrestler. As always, these events are reviewed in depth following each competition, and I am sure there will be such a review after this one as well. We will strive to find how we can increase the experience the everyone.

Thanks again and I wish you the best.

Sign in to follow this