Sign in to follow this  
thegreatgatsby

State tournament time table

email sent:

Hello Mr. Barren,

I am writing you today after seeing the state wrestling finals flyer.  It would appear from the flyer that 1st through 8th place matches will be wrestled simultaneously  Typically there has been a single mat finals for the state championship.  My son is a wrestler in KY although I live in Michigan.  I look forward to my wrestling weekends as much as any other parent and indeed I enthusiastically make the 1000 mile round trip from my home religiously to watch this great sport.  I know these young men and women work very hard at their craft and should be rewarded accordingly.

Coming from a state where wrestling is a very strong sport from the youth level all the way through division one, I can objectively say that the sport is growing quickly in KY and I loved the spotlight format for the state championship match.  I don’t know if you are aware but Kentucky has nationally ranked athletes with national championship credentials competing.  I’m not sure you can say that about many, if any other sports in the state. 

I don’t know the reasoning behind running the championship match simultaneously with the consolation match finals, but I can say it does detract from the state championship match.  All of the fans, competitors included, look forward to watching the championship match and the build-up leading to it.

If the reason for the move is a time constraint I can say with certainty that the time constraint can be managed to allow for the spotlight on the state championship matches.  I am sure all followers of this sport would agree.

I am sincerely hoping you will change the format to allow for the opportunity.

Thank you for your support,

• Upvote 2

Thank all of you for your emails and messages.  We need to continue this.  I have alerted several sports media personalities about this.  Please contact anyone you know in the media and get this story out.  Hopefully at least one will run this story and get some public spotlight on this travesty that the KHSAA has proposed.  Hopefully our wrestlers will get the honor they deserve from working so hard!!

Great emails Tapout and B10grapple!  Keep spreading the word! 

Called and spoke to Mr. Barren, Seemed nice enough, talked for about 10 mins. about the reasons they felt the need to change the format.

He did not seem to be seriously concidering any thoughts of changeing back. said he was very busy with getting the regional tournaments

setup and would not be responding to e-mails. Now I understand you parents with kids have/want to attend. But for us empty nester fans,

We may concider a boycott, several hundred people spending nada. Will not cost any less to host the tournaments, but if tens of thousands of $

vanish from the revenue i'm sure they would take notice of that!

Called and spoke to Mr. Barren, Seemed nice enough, talked for about 10 mins. about the reasons they felt the need to change the format.

He did not seem to be seriously concidering any thoughts of changeing back. said he was very busy with getting the regional tournaments

setup and would not be responding to e-mails. Now I understand you parents with kids have/want to attend. But for us empty nester fans,

We may concider a boycott, several hundred people spending nada. Will not cost any less to host the tournaments, but if tens of thousands of $

vanish from the revenue i'm sure they would take notice of that!

do what was their reason

Even if they do not change the format back this year, this is a issue that should be address. KHSAA needs to release a statement about why changes were made to this format that seemed to have worked well for years. 

Time was one issue of course, as people who live far ends of the state will get home late (made comment of the safty issue)the others he brought up were by the end of the hwy wieght matches barely 50 people

remained as most had seen the matches they came for,and having more matches would keep the intrest up.The party atmosphere while waiting to breakdown the

mats, people stealing toilet paper rolls, said 2 police officers were hit with 8 lb.rolls of toilet paper.

(how big is a 8 lb. roll of the stuff anyway?) also made comment about the draw and if the #2 wrestler gets put out early the the fans and recruiters would get to see him alongside the championship match.

the excuses continued but became more and more uncompelling.

Coach McCoy,

I find it ludicrous that the coaches don't get a voice with their input into this situation.

Is there any way to bolster the backing of the coaches on this issue?

A signed petition by coaches, parents and wrestlers, maybe?

If anyone has ideas, please share them!

I emailed Julian Tackett as well. The problem is, if you go to the KHSAA website and look at the pictures and profiles, it is very easy to see that not one of them is a past wrestler. They don't understand. If I were Brock going for my 5th, or ATM continuing his reign of dominance, or Boston being the #1 ranked wrestler in the country, or any of the other guys that made it to the big dance, I'd be pissed that I had to share my special moment with 3 other mats. If they want to keep the crowd there, don't do the medal ceremony until the end of the HWT match. I told Mr Tackett that regardless of the excuses that we have received this far, that this was a $$ decision made by people who has no respect for our sport. I offered him solutions and asked that he would reconsider the current schedule and do what was right by the kids.

Sent, looks like Tackett will get one too!

Mr. Barren,

It has come to my attention that the KHSAA has decided to run the Consolation Finals and Finals simultaneously this year at the state tournament. I'm sure you have received many letters asking that you reconsider....this is another one!

Kentucky is one of very few states that has a true State Champion because we do not divide the boys into separate classes like many other states. We have two national champions included in the five nationally ranked wrestlers that will be competing. 4 of the 5 have committed to Division I schools to wrestle....the fifth is a junior which will have his choice of many D-I schools when his time comes. Denying these wrestlers AND THEIR FAMILIES the opportunity to experience "The Finals" payoff for working all season at an incredibly demanding sport would be a complete injustice.

In 5th grade my son competed in the Youth State Championships on the Sunday after High School State. We attended the tournament on that Saturday for the first time, and when he witnessed the electricity of the break between the consolation finals and the finals he said, "Dad, I want to be here someday!" I'm confident that many other kids have felt that same way and are working right now for that opportunity.

Kentucky wrestling has improved tremendously since my son was a 5th grader and much is being done to continue the momentum. This move by KHSAA is a move in the opposite direction. Please support wrestling and it's quest for continued improvement and national recognition. Give these young boys something to aspire to be a part of a unique and special moment in the sport.

You are correct. We were aware that there would be a format change. One option was to wrestle 2 finals matches at a time. We sent a letter against this and the change was made to the format released. I was only made aware of the new format three days before the release of the time table. As someone who wrestled in the finals, I know how much it means to be the main show at your weight class. I can assure you that we will be working with the KHSAA to hopefully get things changed in the future if nothing is changed this year.

The people not staying for heavy weight matches is not a viable reason, we gave them a solution. You simple random draw a weight and make it the final match, like dake vs taylor. The coaches submitted solutions to every problem, but they wouldn't listen

Dear Mr. Barren,

Per the link below it appears that this year’s state wrestling championship finals will be wrestled alongside all other placement matches. As a coach and a parent I am trying to understand the reasoning behind this decision.

I moved to Kentucky from Florida eight years ago where I had enjoyed competing in wrestling during my school years. When I wrestled in Florida there were 3 classes of schools due to the population, so you would have three state champions for each weight class. There was never a clear cut individual state champion. All of that changed during the first season I spent coaching in Kentucky and the state tournament is what I look forward to each and every season for that reason…one state champion. I know the state tournament is not without its issues, however I feel that the absolute best thing about is being one of the last two competitors  wrestling on Saturday night with all of the parents, teammates, coaches, fans, etc. looking on. With the growth of the sport I know that this may soon erode into a big school/small school tournament and that will be both a disappointment for me as a fan and opportunity as a coach.

However, back to the issue at hand, if I read the link below correctly the KHSAA is going to eliminate the honor of wrestling under the lights as the last two standing in the weight class. Again, I don’t know the thoughts or reasons behind the decision. I just ask that the KHSAA research other options of reaching the same goal.   I enjoy the new venue as compared to the Dudgeon Arena in Frankfort. I believe the Arena has tremendous potential to serve us well.

As a coach and promoter of the sport I wanted to ensure my voice on this matter was heard. I believe that there are others that would agree with me. I feel the decision to hold all of the medal matches, including the championship, will dissuade from the prestige of the tournament. Please respond on the decision making process in regards to this.

Thanks,

Chris McWherter

Assistant Coach

Calloway County High School

Tony Vanetti of 790 WKRD and the host of the sports show Afternoon Underdogs, has a young son involved in wrestling, he talks about the sport every once in awhile on his show. This could possibly be a media source to help get his issue out if anyone has a way to contact him. Just throwing out ideas. 

Sign in to follow this