Sign in to follow this  
neverbreak

State Dual Champs and State Tournament Champs?

GOO or anyone else that can help with this question (information is hard to find).  How many times have the state duals champs won the State tournament in the same season?

I know the last two state duals champs (union in 12 and Campbell/Union in 13) were not sate tournament champs.  If my memory serves me well last year St. X the eventual state champs were beat by Simon Kenton, who finished 7th in the actual state tournament.

If my memory serves me right... Larue county has won state duals several times in the past, but does not have a single state title...again not trying to bash any programs just trying to prove a point. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some answers

82 views and no comments guess my point was made very clear...state duals is a good measure for the teams who are in the hunt for the state title, but they are not very good at telling us who will win it all!  I hope everyone stays healthy or gets healthy over the next couple weeks. 

Good luck to everyone...let the post season begin!

I'd like to think Trinity could have accomplished the feat in 2009 and 2010, but both years were cancelled due to bad weather. We won in 2008 and were 2nd in 2011. Too bad we'll never know.

1991 - Campbell County

1993 - Woodford County

1995 - Sheldon Clark

1996 - Woodford County

1997 - Woodford County

1998 - St. Xavier

2002 - Woodford County

2003 - South Oldham

2004 - Campbell County

2005 - Woodford County

I'm not at all surprised that it frequently is two different teams that come out on top. Such different beasts, duals vs tournaments. Larue has always been the master of strategy. Also team comraderie and momentum impact duals greatly. Obviously some teams are able to deal with adversity and runs better than others. It also doesn't hurt to have a kid like Boston or Brock or Sean or Austin in the lineup to be the ultimate stopper whenever a team wins a few in a row.

It's a long way from Being history and I know one team in particular that will place a lot higher at the state tournament than they did at the state duals ,

Woodford will be the wildcard if all their best can do their best they could have four champs and other placers ,

CC could have four Champs as in 12 if their best do their best I think Turner just moved into the drivers seat at 170 . Love his momentum .

Did Domonic Lampe wrestle 170 just for the tourney ? Ray is a very strong 160 and they may keep him there and Lampe in the 170's wow didn't see that one coming. I figured one of the big 5 or 6 would drop to 170 from the 182's could still happen. I don't know those were just the results listed on track....

If St X stays with Ray at 160 Dominic at 170 that could give them 15-20 more points in the state tournament.   Ray is a threat to place top 6 at 160 and Lampe would still be the favorite at 170.   But I don't think they will.   It is fun to play with the numbers.    For any of top 170s it is to late to drop enough weight with the decent plan to get to 160 if Lampe moved to 170.   I do understand  coaches decide what weight class their wrestlers go not the kids.  I will say it again coaches make the call not the kids.

Technically one could qualify for a weight class up until the region window opens, which is next Monday the 10th.  If I am wrong, this is the way it should be, the state duals should have no bearing (considering it is a non KHSAA sanctioned event) on the deadline for someone to certify for weight it should be the last day one could compete in a regular season tourney which is this Saturday (no wrastlin on Sunday in KY) the 8th.

Could coaches have certified some of their wrestlers at an out-of-state tournament to keep their intentions a secret?

yes a team can have a wrestler make wt. at an out of state tourney.  However they still need to follow a decent plan.  If they weigh in too heavy at state duals they will not be able to make the wt. at regionals.

1999 Woodford County lost in finals of state duals by a couple points (terrible officiating, the story has been told on this site before) and was without Josh Whitaker in the lineup.  Won state tournament by almost 50 points few weeks later with a healthy Whitaker.

That was a top 10 all time team in KY.

Sign in to follow this