Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

2014 State Duals Pools and Results

Very cool that the big school and small school champs hooked up. Hope this becomes permanent. I firmly believe that duals tournaments are a great way to promote the sport to the casual fan. Also, it gives a true measure of the best team.

• Upvote 1

As a fan, great day of wrestling...exciting, organized, and nice arena. Here is some of what I saw yesterday. Feel free to agree or disagree with my comments. 

Big School:

• Campbell continues to struggle a little this year but their big point scorers will have them in the mix at the state tournament. Trinity is a great team so no shame in losing to them first round.  Campbell is one of the best programs in the state but you can't be unbeatable every year. Their studs like Myers and Fausz are fun to watch and have brought Kentucky Wrestling to a new level.
  • X and Trinity semifinal was amazing to watch. The dual was full of good wrestling and excitement...true rivals getting after it.  Some of those match ups have happened multiple times which makes wrestling each other that much more difficult. X always has their kids wrestling well at the end of year and it seems as if they are getting ready for another title run.  Great on their feet, powerful takedowns.
  • Henry Clay will also score good points at state. The match between 113 Hernandez and Vega was surprising to me.  A returning state champ should not get teched, great match by Hernandez.  If their studs take care of business who knows where they could finish. 
  • Fern Creek did well for coming on short notice. They won some big matches and that program looks much better than the past couple years, good for them and I hope they continue to great better each year.

Small School

• Union like always looked impressive. Their handfighting and angles are better than any other team in the gym yesterday.  They wrestle each match with power and look to score as many points as possible. I would love to see their lightweights practice against each other, great group of wrestlers who are all respectful kids. After their efforts yesterday I would say Union is the favorite in 3 weeks.  If they can get points from some of the second tier kids they have the ability to build a little lead, may come down to the draws. Good luck to them. Love the singlets as well. 
  • Moore for my money was the second best small school team. From the 5th seed they took third and pushed Union the most. Their lightweights are also tough having great matches with Union.  Not many schools can say that against Union, those rematches will be entertaining. 182 will be in the mix for the title in a very tough weight in 3 weeks.  Moore is a program that over the last couple years has really improved and is now a team to be feared. Good for them, Louisville, and Kentucky.
  • A lot of talk about Scott this year on here. Looked to me as if they were missing a wrestler or two but they are still a couple years away from being one of the top teams in that area.  They seem to be on the right track to improving as a program.

Glad the two champs wrestled each other, as a fan that was exciting to see. Overall, I was impressed with Louisville area teams X, Trinity, Moore, and Fern Creek all look to be solid teams.  Should be a fun and exiting end to the season Kentucky wrestling has come along way and when you put the best teams in one gym I am reminded how much better the wrestling has gotten.  Thanks to all who put the tournament together and ran it so well.  

• Upvote 1

Small School Round 2

Union County - 66

Perry County Central - 18

Scott - 58

Sheldon Clark - 9

Larue County - 40

Caldwell County - 24

North Oldham - 42

Bourbon County - 37

That would be Doss that beat Perry County Central, 66-18 in the 2nd round of small school

Dumb question here, How did X and Union wrestle, that's 6 duals in one day  3 duals in pool, a semi and championship. are you allowed to weigh in a whole second team? I have seen so much rule breaking/exemptions about eligibility this year I was wondering if they are passing over National Fed rules too?

No it was pools of 3 so there is only 2 duals in pool play, one dual for semis then one for finals. Union and St. X went 4-0 in their respected divisions then the 5th dual was between the two.

Sorry, didn't see the other responses.

No, pool of three , two matches then a bracket pool two matches in placing round - left one match for their dual , it was perfect for it ,

Union and it's fans were ever so polite in fishing for the dual , props to X for giving them their wish ,I think most people left before it happened not knowing it would , they should make it a tradition and keep everyone around for the matches , Hopefully union is so eager in the future for the dual showdown !!

Ukpridewrestler11 I have not made a post on this site all season nor do i really care about ever posting, but when I saw what  you posted ,and that you were an alum from Union I could stand no(told a friend that no way you was from Union) more I thought only one person from one school ever tried to make insulting comments but I guess i was wrong. I have never had nothing but respect for Union and their team.I just want you  to check the history of this site and see IF i ever got on here and posted how AJ whooped somebody and believe me I could have made that comment many more times than you.But I will take that as a classless statement from YOU and not the program.Grow the hell up and remember these are kids and your comments like that are uncalled for.Congrads to Bryce he is very tough and earned the win.

Not sure why you would use "whooped up" to describe the results of this match.  Sounds personal...a 4 or 5 point match is hardly "whooping" someone.  Could have been a little more tasteful in your comment.  Keep in mind, some of these young men read the forum and after losing all ready feel bad enough.

Also, think Bindner can win a state title this year.  Keep you head up.  One match does not make a season.

No, I missed the final match between the two schools. A st. x alumn who was there at the state duals texted me that, he didnt tell me the score was 6-1 which I think I saw on track wrestling at a later time. Its not a whooping as I was told. Sorry for getting your feelings hurt, and I was not trying to down any kid. The exact message I got was "Union smacked st. x.....Whoever the 113 is for union looked real good against binder. Whooped him". Now jump on me for relaying this to people asking about individual results. Once again, I am sorry for that and changed the previous post. I did not see the actual results of the score until much later than what I posted. So whs98 and pinandwin, I don't know you nor care to know yall but I am sorry. 

Sounds like hes trying to keep face and appearance and basically tried to say he didn't lost what he did , either way a whooping can be 4-1 or 1-0 ,all depends a hvy can whoop the crap out of someone with 1-0 win lightweights not so much more action more scores more moves . Either way the score could be reversed at state . Close lightweights are like that could be ten in a class on ten weeks with ten different winners

Sign in to follow this