Sign in to follow this  
Bluesdad

Region 4 Championships

Coach
After speaking with our Principal and Superintendent we have decided that the Region will go on as planned to wrestle at JCMS with weigh-ins starting at 10:00 am, saturday January 25. With wrestling being a winter sport weather is one of the things that we have to contend with, with that being said I hope that all teams can make it safely. It is recommended that if you are traveling at any distance that you stay the night before. With schools being out on friday we are giving the extra one pound allowance. Coaches I ask again that you bring all alternates  so we can fill all brackets. I have spoke with the Ramada Inn In Paintsville they want to help us out and give schools a discounted rate at $75.00 a night. The Ramada phone number is 606-789-4242. 

Thank you 
PS 
Coaches please talk with the coaches in your district to ensure this information reaches everyone.

Coach Peck cell 606-477-7325
principal Mr. Russ Halsey 606-792-5171

Good to hear everything is still on as planned.  I don't agree with giving an extra pound though.  Kids have already benefited from the extra 2 pounds and if they chose to take a risk and drop a weight class, they need to be working their butts off to maintain their new weight.  This will encourage more kids to cut weight and drop a weight class next year.  I don't want to see kids penalized for being over weight, but I think it creates an unlevel playing field for kids who weigh 79lbs now wrestling an 83lber.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a big fan of the extra lb either. Shoot I'd rather it be straight base weight 70, 75 and so on with no growth allowance. I really dont like the growth allowance.

Some people are going to cut regardless of whether there is a  growth allowance or not, especially in the lighter weights where there is only a 5 or 6lb spread.  

During the season I understand giving the allowance.  We are no longer in the season.  This is the post season and if a kid can't make weight they don't make it.  They chose to move down now live with your decision and make it or stay home.

• Upvote 2

During the season I understand giving the allowance.  We are no longer in the season.  This is the post season and if a kid can't make weight they don't make it.  They chose to move down now live with your decision and make it or stay home.

I agree and most everybody on here seems to.

I hate weight allowances as well but talk to you high school coaches. it isn't a question of if it is a question of when. We have a little more of a gray area because we have so many club teams and most teams don't practice everyday like high school teams but the facts are that many teams have missed a lot of practice time.

There is a major difference between HS and MS.  As it stands today, there is absolutely no regulation with our MS kids and there is w/ HS.  A "growth allowance" SHOULD be in place for MS kids to allow for natural growth kids these ages have throughout the course of a 4 month season.  Unfortunately, it has become a way for kids to drop to lower classes w/out any supervision whatsoever. 

Some of the weight cutting that is going on in youth wrestling today is borderline child abuse.  If someone filmed it and put it on TV, it would be as bizarre to watch as an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras.

• Upvote 1

I have to agree with the majority here above.  We need something in place in the middle school program that has these kids at least weighing in at least twice during season at the weight they are going for district/regional/state.  I know of only 2 kids in region 3 that had  the weight to loose and dropped 2 classes but the kids did it right by eating good foods, cutting soda out, and working out. They look healthy as can be and neither is on my team so I'm not being biased.   It's a shame that some of these kids look so unhealthy and yet you see them cutting weight talking about how they haven't eaten but a few things here and there, but then come day of tourney they are still drinking soda, eating junk food and the parents/coaches don't care.  It's past time we have in place some kind of weight plan, MLee your are right if someone filmed it maybe it would sink into some of these adults brains that you can't just keep doing this to these kids.

Good to hear everything is still on as planned.  I don't agree with giving an extra pound though.  Kids have already benefited from the extra 2 pounds and if they chose to take a risk and drop a weight class, they need to be working their butts off to maintain their new weight.  This will encourage more kids to cut weight and drop a weight class next year.  I don't want to see kids penalized for being over weight, but I think it creates an unlevel playing field for kids who weigh 79lbs now wrestling an 83lber.

Our team hasn't been able to practice for a week.  We don't have access to the facilities.  A lot of our wrestlers are from disadvantaged homes and don't have the family support to hold weight.  I don't think a pound is a horrible thing to give middleschoolers who have worked to get this are and are dealing with things beyond their control.

Understandable, but you are still putting the group of kids at the lower end of the weight class at the disadvantage.  Yes they probably could have cut weight and dropped down a weight class also, but chose to remain at their weight class they wrestled all year long.

We can't continue to cater to kids who choose to take the risk of wrestling down, no matter what their circumstances are.

• Upvote 1

Come on people. First, if a coach lets a wrestler cut that much weight, he needs to be banned from the sport. I thought that was the whole reason for the coaches to have first aid and CPR. To make it safer for the kids. But we freely converse about children losing weight. And we all know if not done properly it could damage a youth. Understand these rules we run by now were set under the assumption that good coaches would do right and adhire to them. If everything were done right than this would not be an issue.

Just because you have a coach get certified on CPR and first aid does not mean they are going to not let kids cut weight.  Let's get real, how many coaches are running a team where they don't care if their kids win and make it state?  NONE  Every team wants their kids to win and make it as far as they can.  With that said there are teams who have few kids and teams that have many kids.  If you have many and some are double weights you can't tell me that coaches are trying to spread their classes so that they have a better chance at winning duals, district,regional, and state titles.  It happens no matter what the intentions were in the beginning at some point it becomes about winning a title.  Which if you had in place a weight program would make it a lot harder for this to happen.  It doesn't mean it's impossible but it is harder!  As for me personally, my kids have wrestled at their weights and some up a class or even 2.  We had 1 go down a class and he was able to do it quite easy just by getting in some cardio and cutting out some of the sweets he likes.  My own kid has wrestled up all year long and been at the lower end so do I think it's fair to keep giving and giving?  Not really, my kid gets off his butt and moves when he knows he has to make weight if he is close.  he doesn't need a practice to work him out he does it on his own. 

Where were you guys all of 2013 when I got raked over the coals for suggesting we implement an up-to-date weight management process? Just requiring a kid to make scratch doesn't mean he is doing it safely or should do it at all.

Ranger123, the big problem is that many of your teams, wether they are club or school don't have the info about meetings always or know how to get the info.  Just as it was for coaches cards this year it ends up being pushed to the last minute some due to procrastonating but some due to lack of knowledge of what has changed and how to find out what changed exactly.  Sometimes you just get a cut and paste answer which doesn't always answer questions for some.

This information has been on this site quite often this year. The meetings have been advertised on here, the spring and fall meeting. The minutes for each of those meetings are also on this sight. I didn't go to any of the meetings, but I have kept up with all changes on here. I had 3 kids on my MS team, no weight cutting at all.

Ok I'm tired of hearing the same crap!

As a board member, I know we have made it possible to have the State meetings in several parts of the state so that all those individuals that complain that the meeting site is too far to travel isn't an issue.

We tried this and guess what.... Hardly anyone showed up.

People complain they can't get information on anything (items to vote on, coachs card, etc).

Again, all this information has been provided. If you found this website, you can find the state information.

If you want to make changes or help our association, show up to the meetings. And after you show up...let's try supporting all the things that we should do when it comes time to vote on vs talking about it on this site then back pedaling on the topics at the meetings..... Show up to the meetings that are for YOU, to help make the sport better!

I understand that there are some New Coaches to MS and are trying to figure everything out, especially coming from the youth level.

But we have merged both Youth and MS associations together this year... Oh by the way this too was on the agenda to vote on and it passed! If you want to add value or help implement things to make our sport grow, find TIME and a way to attend these meetings!

Make your voice and opinion be heard where it matters and not on some message board!

• Upvote 1

Where were you guys all of 2013 when I got raked over the coals for suggesting we implement an up-to-date weight management process? Just requiring a kid to make scratch doesn't mean he is doing it safely or should do it at all.

As I remember, most of the opposition came from the club side, who just don't have the connections to get the tests done in a cost effective way.  And i can't blame them, it just just makes things more expensive.  Most of the public schools I know have at least a few of their kids go through the program as a lot of kids do wrestle some varsity during the season.  I'm all for doing it and that's how I voted last spring.  In reality though, even with weight management in place, kids still cut....they just do it before their fat test, and then many of them are on the yo-yo ride all year, gaining 6 or 7 pounds between events, then cutting hard a couple of days before the next event.  

As I remember, most of the opposition came from the club side, who just don't have the connections to get the tests done in a cost effective way. And i can't blame them, it just just makes things more expensive. Most of the public schools I know have at least a few of their kids go through the program as a lot of kids do wrestle some varsity during the season. I'm all for doing it and that's how I voted last spring. In reality though, even with weight management in place, kids still cut....they just do it before their fat test, and then many of them are on the yo-yo ride all year, gaining 6 or 7 pounds between events, then cutting hard a couple of days before the next event.

You are right coach. No system can eliminate weight cutting. But the system the hs uses does provide a safeguard for most kids especially young and new kids before coaches start encouraging bad behaviors. My opinion, that I've shared a few times is that coaches are the only sure fire way to cut down on weight cutting. We hold the key to what weight these kids are entered.

You are right coach. No system can eliminate weight cutting. But the system the hs uses does provide a safeguard for most kids especially young and new kids before coaches start encouraging bad behaviors. My opinion, that I've shared a few times is that coaches are the only sure fire way to cut down on weight cutting. We hold the key to what weight these kids are entered.

Agreed.  And I do think most of us are doing the right thing.  And the sooner we can get word out AND people to believe that word, that cutting weight is not a huge or necessary part of wrestling, we can really move forward and grow the sport.

• Upvote 1

If a parents and kids think cutting is best that is their decision.  If it is cut the right way its not terrible.  All we are doing is promoting it by giving extra weight everytime we turn around.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, start a new thread about weight cutting. Same arguements, same people, no real answers. It's wrestling, there will always be weight cutting, on every level. Now, back to the Region 4 tournament..... How many teams/kids actually made it out there? How many alternates got in due to what I'm guessing were low #s due to weather? How did the weights and team standings shake out?

Hey guys, start a new thread about weight cutting. Same arguements, same people, no real answers. It's wrestling, there will always be weight cutting, on every level. Now, back to the Region 4 tournament..... How many teams/kids actually made it out there? How many alternates got in due to what I'm guessing were low #s due to weather? How did the weights and team standings shake out?

My understanding was that all but one team made it to the Region 4 tournament.  Don't have results yet, but as soon as we do, they will be posted as always.