Sign in to follow this  
Bluesdad

Toughest weight class in each region?

I think the 86lb class is the toughest in the state.  Tucker from Woodford is no doubt the favorite, but he has very little room for error.  I think you may see an upset at 86lbs in Region 4 this weekend.  The Stafford kid from Martin Co looks like a 98 pounder and is strong as an ox.  I have seen a ton of great kids at 86 this year and he is right there with Tucker.  Gentry Deck from Madison Co is very crafty and strong and is very dangerous in close matches. The Hudgins kid from Harrison Co is very good also.  Hopefully all of these kids make it out of the Region and have a strong showing at state.  I would hate to be a #1 seed at state and face one of these guys first match!

I'm right there with ya. I think Daylon Staftord has a heck of a chance at upsetting Tucker. He had to sit out the last 2 years with injuries and he is very hungry this year. He's wrestling very well and is very strong. It's going to be one heck of a class and I think 3 of the kids in that class medal at state.

I think it will be a battle for the 4th seed out of this class. I think the top 3 are clear cut. Tucker, Stafford, and Deck. The 4th seed will be either Bradley Miller or Tyler Hudgins. I give a edge to Miller but not by much.it's going to be real fun Saturday.

Well looking at the other district results with kids dropping, I think it is a toss up now between the 80lb and 86lb classes as the toughest.  Ketchen-Carter now at 80 along with Horton(Ryle), Adams(Union Co), Goldsmith(NO), Ballinger (EO).  Carter is tough to beat, Horton is a beast and Ballinger is a dark horse that people over look.  MOW at state definitely comes from one of these weight classes!

District 1 was full of good competition, 70 lbs with Escalera and Mattingly, 75 lbs with Brown, 80 lbs has Adams, 98 has Ervin, 121 has Gray, 140 has Leavell, 152 has the kid from Owensboro and heavy has the Spell kid. All these kids may well be favored to win at State with Mattingly placing high. Several other kids will place very high. I'm interested to see how Region 1 falls, District 2 is loaded as well.

Escalera/ ??? 70

Deckard/Brown 75

Horton/ Adams 80

Tucker at 86

Roth 92

Bender/Ervin at 98

Whorton/Smith 113

Gray 121

Johnson 130

Leavell 140

I admit I haven't seen a lot of competition from eastern KY and these are just poor mans predictions, I have no dogs in the hunt. I know there are a lot of other great kids out there this year. This will be a great MS State Tourn year!

I'm right there with ya. I think Daylon Staftord has a heck of a chance at upsetting Tucker. He had to sit out the last 2 years with injuries and he is very hungry this year. He's wrestling very well and is very strong. It's going to be one heck of a class and I think 3 of the kids in that class medal at state.

I think it will be a battle for the 4th seed out of this class. I think the top 3 are clear cut. Tucker, Stafford, and Deck. The 4th seed will be either Bradley Miller or Tyler Hudgins. I give a edge to Miller but not by much.it's going to be real fun Saturday.

Don't forget Lane Seibert from Woodland in region 3 at 86.  He lost a close one to Deck and stuck Hudgins in under a minute last time they met.  The first time they wrestled, he was beating him 8-0 when Hudgins caught him in a spladle.  Aside from that move, the 3 periods they've wrestled haven't been close.  70 (Mcormick/Grandstaff), 75 (Pye, Frietsch, Grandstaff, Spaulding), 80 (Ketchen Carter/Horton), 92 (Roth), 105 (Moore) , 121 (Hammonds), 168  (Mueller), and 240 (Wheeler) are all from region 3 and potential, if not probable state finalists.  There will be a lot of placers from region 3.

70 is a killer class in Region 1 with Blake Whorton, Zeke Escalera and Preston Mattingly. There are also a few other tough kids in the bracket, but 3 of Ranger's top 5 at 70 are in this region.

I think 140 is Blake Gambles weight class to lose. He's been wrestling very very good competition and winning. I know Leavell and Smallwood are great wrestlers but I'm just not sure their on his level.

I think region 4 has a host of kids that can place this year.

70- T Deck

75- B Fletcher

80- R Purvis

86- Tucker, Stafford, Deck I think there's a great chance the champ comes from region 4 here

92- Brandon Miller, Bixler

98- A Bender could win it all

130- Begley

140- Gamble, Krueger

168- B Denny could win it all

190- R Karl

240- C Benton, Shortridge.

I know I probably missed some kids but this is off top of my head. Region 4 could have a few champs this year.

75 is going to be a tough class.  It's going to come down to one of the 4 kids from region 3 (Frietsch, Pye, Grandstaff, Spaulding) or Deckard from East Oldham or Brown from Union.  

To me, 92 and 121 both have very interesting competitive depth and balance, even with (or maybe because of!) Smith vacating 121 in favor of 113.  I believe there are at least 7 or 8 kids in each capable of being, or beating, one of the top 4 seeds at state.  "On paper" several other classes appear to be the usual top-heavy 2 or 3 hammers vs. the rest of the field, but for me the depth in these two classes is going to be interesting to watch from the quarters on, and there will be some middle-consolation dogfights in each.

70, 75, 80, 105, 113, 152 and up, there are 5 or 6 kids that have a great shot at winning. The other classes I look for the top 2 or so to dominate. Tucker, Bender, Roth, And Johnson probably finalists. Gray has been winning varsity tournaments. He may be 3rd behind Austin and Dezember in varsity region 1, maybe 2nd.

70, 75, 80, 105, 113, 152 and up, there are 5 or 6 kids that have a great shot at winning. The other classes I look for the top 2 or so to dominate. Tucker, Bender, Roth, And Johnson probably finalists. Gray has been winning varsity tournaments. He may be 3rd behind Austin and Dezember in varsity region 1, maybe 2nd.

Mason Smith wins 113 and Whorton will be right there with him. The battle at that class will be for the rest of the podium spots.  There are a couple of solid kids from every district.  Ryan Moore will be really tough to beat at 105.

Been sitting back and watching wrestling this season vs posting on this thread. But have to throw in my 2 cents on this.

70 also looks to be one of toughest classes in the state. Since I'm from NKY, haven't seen much around the state. But the McCormik kid from Twenhofel is very good. I think he has a great shot of winning it all.

75 WOW....this class could go to a bunch of different kids. But I think the favorite here is Brown. Kid is tough. But the Decker and Pye kid are solid. Close your eyes on this weight class and you might miss something.

80 toss up here with Horton and Adams. I'll go with Horton.

86 I think Tucker is the favorite here. But there are several kids in this class that will make some noise.

92 Going with Roth here. Watched him earlier in the season and he is at a whole other level then his competition. Kid is tough! He makes it to the finals I think that will be 4 years in a row in the State Finals. He wins it, I say he is MOW!

98 Another crazy class. Bender/Ervin/Kraezig. Anyone of these kids could win this class. All very good wrestlers. I heard Bender has been wrestling very well, but I'm going to go with Kraezig.

105 Match up here will be Moore and Brown. Both great wrestlers. Going with Moore, he looks solid and very strong.

113 Smith and Whorton match up here. Smith has been wrestling very well. This class isn't that deep so I think these two get to the finals with Smith winning.

121 Gray is tough, I think he is the favorite here. Hammond is a strong kid and looks very good.  Copenhaver is tough. This could be a toss up on who wins this class.

130 Johnson wins this class. He is to much for anyone else here. Could also be an MOW candidate.

140 Don't know much about this weight but I heard Gamble is crushing kids. I'm going with Gamble here.

152 ? I don't know what kids are here.

168 Denny is a kid I've a lot about.

190 ? Same as 152, just don't know!

240 Wheeler from Twenhofel wins this weight hands down.

Just my 2 cents!

I don't disagree with anything said. I just have to comment on the continual bias towards the lower weights. 75 or 86 the toughest!? Really? 10-12 year old 5th through 7th graders are better than the 8th grade 14 year olds at the heavier weights? You guys probably don't appreciate Adam Coon either!! Shaking my head.

I don't disagree with anything said. I just have to comment on the continual bias towards the lower weights. 75 or 86 the toughest!? Really? 10-12 year old 5th through 7th graders are better than the 8th grade 14 year olds at the heavier weights? You guys probably don't appreciate Adam Coon either!! Shaking my head.

It's not bias, and I don't think people are discounting the bigger kids.  As far some of the bigger kids, Ryan Moore (105), Mason Smith/Blake Horton (113), Hammonds/Gray (121) and Johnson (130) are as good as it gets.  It's just that in terms of competition though, those weight classes just aren't that deep, and likely produce a lot of pins and bad matches in the first couple rounds of State.  The smaller weight classes are just deeper, and will likely have some great matchups all the way through.  I'd rather watch an exciting overtime match than a 20 second pin.  And you can't deny, that there are just a bunch of average wrestlers that will make it through from 113-140, and from 152 up, things are very thin.  Doesn't mean the best of those classes aren't great....just that they won't have much competition.

No doubt there is great wrestling at the bigger weights also. I just think you never know what you'll going to get out of the smaller, younger weight classes. Makes it fun to watch. While with the bigger, older weight classes you pretty much know what to expect. But I in no means was trying to take anything away from the other classes and the hard work these young men put in.

My vote goes to the 140lb class. With Gamble,Smallwood,Leavell,Biddix and Carrillo. There may in be a dark horse lurking in this class?

No doubt all these kids at 140 are great. I just dont see that Leavell, Smallwood and Biddix are on Gambles level. He's been wrestling a very tough varsity schedule and winning. He wrestle the #1 kid in WV High school at 138 to a 4-3 match (lost) and beat the #2 ranked kid in Wv. He has also wrestled top 10 ranked kids from Va and beat them. Kid is wrestling well right now and it will take an absolute monster to beat him. It can be done but they better bring their A game if they hope to pull a upset.

It's not bias, and I don't think people are discounting the bigger kids. As far some of the bigger kids, Ryan Moore (105), Mason Smith/Blake Horton (113), Hammonds/Gray (And you can't deny, that there are just a bunch of average wrestlers that will make it through from 113-140, and from 152 up, things are very thin. Doesn't mean the best of those classes aren't great....just that they won't have much competition.

I think you just proved my point! No biggie, I get your point but don't agree with it. The Thome kid at 152 from North Oldham is a bruiser and fun wrestler to watch. Don't sell the bigger kids short. Besides they are being td by football coaches in many schools not to wrestle! I can't imagine worse advice.

I agree with everyone on here that this is the best time of the season. It also makes for some great snow day conversation.

I think you just proved my point! No biggie, I get your point but don't agree with it. The Thome kid at 152 from North Oldham is a bruiser and fun wrestler to watch. Don't sell the bigger kids short. Besides they are being td by football coaches in many schools not to wrestle! I can't imagine worse advice.

I agree with everyone on here that this is the best time of the season. It also makes for some great snow day conversation.

Again, I never said there weren't any good big wrestlers.  I've seen the Thome kid, and yes, he is fun to watch.  My point was at the lighter weights you might have 6 or 8 top notch wrestlers, and another 6 or 8  very good wrestlers and get to see a lot of great matches.  At the bigger classes, the numbers are much lower.  Most of the districts only have 4 or 5 (some even less) at most weight classes above 121 or 130.  This year, more so than last year, the lighter classes are just deeper.

And to the football comment, I coach football too.  I know in my school, kids are not being discouraged by the football coaches from wrestling.  The problem is we need to convince the last couple guys on the bench on the basketball teams to wrestle in addition to getting more football players on board.  It's just tough to do without solid youth wrestling programs to capture the kids early.

We are a very small private school, I believe the smallest school in KY to have a wrestling program. Basketball and soccer are by far on top of the mountain in funding and support. I'm not sure our parents even understand how wrestling can help build their young athletes. The entire school has about the same population as my graduating class back in '85 (approx 325-350 kids from preK to 12th grade). Every kid thinks they are going to be a basketball star.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse here and I may be completely wrong come state... But I think/feel that this forum completely overlooks a group of kids from Jefferson County that participate in the same wrestling program that produced the HS state champions last year. It's pretty obvious that this group completely overlooks the talent that Jefferson County is producing at a rapid pace. The pundits on this forum have completely overlooked some serious talent in the state of KY and I can't wait to be proven wrong come state finals and team duel state finals... We will see, and in the end... The kids will produce the results... Not the blogging parents.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse here and I may be completely wrong come state... But I think/feel that this forum completely overlooks a group of kids from Jefferson County that participate in the same wrestling program that produced the HS state champions last year. It's pretty obvious that this group completely overlooks the talent that Jefferson County is producing at a rapid pace. The pundits on this forum have completely overlooked some serious talent in the state of KY and I can't wait to be proven wrong come state finals and team duel state finals... We will see, and in the end... The kids will produce the results... Not the blogging parents.

Ditto

I agree with the comments about some districts not getting any attention. But i wonder if its because of lack of information. I know Baker in district 7 at 140 has wrestled high school most of the year and won disrticts with ease aganist some decent competition. So i also am looking foward to see how things play out at state. That's what keeps this sport exciting the unknown.