Sign in to follow this  
Eaglewrestler16

Region Breakdown

Can someone give me a breakdown on the regions?  I know they are new this year and not 100% sure about what schools are in what region. I want to do some region rankings, mainly for the jefferson county area.

REGION 1 – Caldwell County, Calloway County, Christian County, Fort Campbell, Graves County, Hopkinsville,McCracken County, Ohio County, Paducah Tilghman, Trigg County, Union County, University Heights REGION 2 – Apollo, Barren County, Central Hardin, Daviess County, Fort Knox, John Hardin, LaRue County, Meade County, Nelson County, North Hardin, Owensboro, Taylor County, Thomas Nelson REGION 3 – Bullitt Central, Bullitt East, DeSales, Doss, Fairdale, Fern Creek, Holy Cross (Louisville), Iroquois, North Bullitt, Pleasure Ridge Park, Southern, Valley REGION 4 – Atherton, Central, DuPont Manual, Eastern, Jeffersontown, Kentucky School f/t Blind, Male, Moore, Seneca, Shawnee, St. Xavier, Trinity (Louisville), Western REGION 5 – Anderson County, Franklin County, Grant County, North Oldham, Oldham County, Scott County, South Oldham, Spencer County, Western Hills, Woodford County REGION 6 – Boone County, Campbell County, Conner, Cooper, Cov Cath,Dixie Heights, Holmes, Newport, Ryle, Scott, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona REGION 7 – Boyle County, Bryan Station, Danville, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Madison Central, Madison Southern, McCreary Central, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Tates Creek, Wayne County, Whitley County REGION 8 – Ashland Blazer, Belfry, Bourbon County, Boyd County, East Ridge, Harrison County, Jenkins, Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Letcher County Central, Montgomery County, Perry County Central, Phelps, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark,

After looking at that breakdown.  Here is an interesting thought.

Could each of the regions be broken into districts again?  The smallest region is region 5 with 10 teams.  Even then it could be 5 teams in each district.

Why?

1.  Both events could be a 1 day event

2.  It helps with seeding in region (the best kids will still qualify)

3.  The state tourney still stays 32 man bracket

4.  Can help promote more wrestling by allowing some kids to earn a post season medal.

Looking at region 6.  Could be broken up either North/South or West/East

I plotted the schools by location and this is what the districts would look like. (6 teams in each district)

District 6 West:   Cooner, Cooper, Ryle, Boone, Walton Verona, Simon Kenton

District 6 East:    Campbell, Newport, Dixie, Holmes, Scott, Cov. Cath.

---------------------------------or-------------------------------

District 6 North:   Newport, Cov.Cath, Conner, Dixie, Holmes, Boone

District 6 South:  Cooper, Ryle, Walton, Simon, Campbell, Scott

I think Districts would be a good idea.  We have almost doubled the number of programs since we did away with the district-region-state format.  5-8 teams per district (16 districts). Top 4 advance to region, top 4 to state. We will still have the 32 at state.  Districts 1 and 2 become the current Region 1, 3 and 4 become the current Region 2, etc..  This could extend the season by a week, having 3 weeks of post season. 

districts chart.pdf

• Upvote 1

GOO is more versed on this then I am, but there used to be district type things for Kentucky. The reason we switched to the current format was to help promote growth in the state, and it worked. Minds more in tune with the state of Kentucky wrestling then mine (cmccoy for example) would be better qualified to say whether we are at a point a switch would work. It's the whole question how competitive we want to make our state tournament. Here are some examples from other states

California runs a single class system with I think 5 qualifying tournaments, the final state tournament is around a 16 man bracket I think.

Oklahoma runs I believe a two class system with 4-5 qualifying tournaments, their final state tournament has 8 kids and only places top 4 (only state to do that, top 8 is most common)

Ohio runs a three class system, with 3 qualifying tournaments (sectionals, districts, regions). They have a very large state tournament though since so many schools wrestle in Ohio.

sectionals, districts/regions, state is I believe the most common method. Tennessee runs a region, state format like we do. the most is some crazy nonsense that states like California and Indiana run which have sub-sectionals, sectionals, districts, regions, sub-state, state, etc haha

If I made any stupid mistakes feel free to call me out haha, I don't want to spread anything that happens to be wrong.

I think what is being missed here is that everything will be the same at the state tourney.  We would still have a 32 man bracket and still have the top four from a region qualify.  The only difference is that there is a district tourney before the region.  4 kids from each district would then wrestle in the region.  It will actually recognize more kids. 

With only a region the top 6 are placed in the region.  With districts before region 8 kids will be recognized in each region 4 from one district and 4 from another district.  It will also give teams a chance to win a district tourney.  Example:  using the W/E districts above in region 6 Both Campbell and SK would be regional champs. or using N/S districts then Campbell and Conner/Dixie would be district champs.

I'd love to see a return to the district-region-state format, but I doubt the KHSAA would -- especially in its more is better phase. They want more kids to experience the state meet, not less, so this won't mesh with their philosophy.

Shouldn't be about more matches there can always be more tourneys , no need to shallow the talent pool it would simply see more less talented kids getting low placement at yet another tourney that would add another possibility of injuring kids before state late in the season

no need to shallow the talent pool it would simply see more less talented kids getting low placement at yet another tourney

Wow stupid me.  What was I thinking.  We only want to see the best kids wrestling and gettig some recognition. 

Why don't we just invite the kids with winning records to the regional tourney that way there would be an even less chance of kids getting hurt before the state tourny.

REGION 1 – Caldwell County, Calloway County, Christian County, Fort Campbell, Graves County, Hopkinsville,McCracken County, Ohio County, Paducah Tilghman, Trigg County, Union County, University Heights REGION 2 – Apollo, Barren County, Central Hardin, Daviess County, Fort Knox, John Hardin, LaRue County, Meade County, Nelson County, North Hardin, Owensboro, Taylor County, Thomas Nelson REGION 3 – Bullitt Central, Bullitt East, DeSales, Doss, Fairdale, Fern Creek, Holy Cross (Louisville), Iroquois, North Bullitt, Pleasure Ridge Park, Southern, Valley REGION 4 – Atherton, Central, DuPont Manual, Eastern, Jeffersontown, Kentucky School f/t Blind, Male, Moore, Seneca, Shawnee, St. Xavier, Trinity (Louisville), Western REGION 5 – Anderson County, Franklin County, Grant County, North Oldham, Oldham County, Scott County, South Oldham, Spencer County, Western Hills, Woodford County REGION 6 – Boone County, Campbell County, Conner, Cooper, Cov Cath,Dixie Heights, Holmes, Newport, Ryle, Scott, Simon Kenton, Walton-Verona REGION 7 – Boyle County, Bryan Station, Danville, Henry Clay, Lafayette, Madison Central, Madison Southern, McCreary Central, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Tates Creek, Wayne County, Whitley County REGION 8 – Ashland Blazer, Belfry, Bourbon County, Boyd County, East Ridge, Harrison County, Jenkins, Johnson Central, Lawrence County, Letcher County Central, Montgomery County, Perry County Central, Phelps, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark,

WESTERN IS IN REGION 3, NOT REGION 4 (IT WAS CHANGED)

I understand why we have a 32 man State Tournament, but I've never liked it. Beating a dead horse here, but at one time just making it to the State Tournament was an accomplishment, but now, not so much. With a 16 man bracket, we would occasionally have our "finalist" meet in the semis. Now, we have "finalist" meeting in the quarters. All I'm saying is, the 32 man State Tournament served its purpose. It let everyone and their brother make it to State and our numbers grew. Great. Now since we offer so many other tournaments that they can participate and win medals and JV State titles and such, maybe we could go back to a real State Tournament. It is honestly harder for a middle school wrestler to make it to the middle school State Tournament. A lot of times, their earlier round matches are much more competitive as well. Guess what, their numbers are still growing. And sorry Bulldog Leader, when it comes to the State Tournament, we should only want to see the best wrestlers and give them some recognition. You dont go to Flo, Dapper Dan, etc to see sub par wrestling, right?

I also went through the district/region/state format, and agree that only the best made the state tourney then. 

Maybe I didn't explain my point enough.  If we have a district tourney then we can still help the smaller schools expand by having their wrestlers still be recognized on the district level.

Those less qualified would still not make the state tourney but some would still participate at the region.  The best wrestlers still make it to the state tourney which is what we want.  That way we can still expand while keeping the best going to the state tourney. 

The region would then be a 1 day 8 man bracket event.  Having the district touney 1st it helps sort the seeding out for the region.  We then weed out those non-competitive matches, they will occur at the districts and maybe not so much at the region.

Hey but what do I know I'm a washed up never was anyway. 

The . only thing with a 32 man state is that kids from the best regions at least make the state example the 3&4 seeds are stronger in most cases like in regions 4 and 6 than say some of regions 2 and 7s 1&2 seeds and I don't think any format can change that So id say leave it the way it is. This is just my opinion and I know its not the case in every Weight class. but I will agree that I wish the state tournament was seeded which opens up a whole new can of worms

The . only thing with a 32 man state is that kids from the best regions at least make the state example the 3&4 seeds are stronger in most cases like in regions 4 and 6 than say some of regions 2 and 7s 1&2 seeds and I don't think any format can change that So id say leave it the way it is. This is just my opinion and I know its not the case in every Weight class. but I will agree that I wish the state tournament was seeded which opens up a whole new can of worms

You see that in the WPIAL (Pittsburg area) a lot. All top 4 kids who make it out place at state tournament while their 5th place kid still goes on to wrestle D1. But of course that is just how wrestling develops, throughout the world it has always been a regional thing, nothing can really fix that

Thanks everyone for the info! I will have them out by this weekend after looking over results! Mainly doing this for fun and the love of the sport. By no means am I trying to take Rangers spot. He does an awesome job at covering the state as a whole. Also as far as the district talk, I think we are fine with the current format on the high school level.

Also to add on to disscusion maybe its just me, but we need more wrestling clubs in the jefferson county area. This is where most of the population is, and should be a gold mine to finding talent. The clubs that we do have are great with River City, Trintiy, Fern Creek, and Moore. Please add someone if I'm missing any. I've been away from the sport for awhile. We need one on the East end of town in the Westport Area, also down towards Manual High School if they don't already. I don't think they do could be wrong. That would be a golden opportunity imo espically with the UofL wrestling club and former wrestlers right there on campus at UofL or JCC. Could come over to Club practice and  roll around with the young kids. Just food for thought guys. I have no clue on how to start one and what the limitations are but please feel free to message me.

Wow stupid me. What was I thinking. We only want to see the best kids wrestling and gettig some recognition.

Why don't we just invite the kids with winning records to the regional tourney that way there would be an even less chance of kids getting hurt before the state tourny.

Well you did put CC in the south and Boone in the North lol

Kentucky is not Pennsylvania or Ohio Penn has about five qualifiers for state sec dis reg state and another in there somewhere .

With 32 kids heading to state I think there are enough of the best going what would adding another step to get to the top 32 add other than stroking the egos of kids who cannot make it by letting them win a lower placement medal at a sec or dist tourny ?? But I'm all for it the more the better as far as tournys but when it comes to state it doesn't really matter a district reg or sec medal is not the goal the goal is top 8 at state or for some just to make it . If you want they could just give out medals to everyone so no one would have to earn them .

Sign in to follow this