Sign in to follow this  
INDIANwrestler

UK WRESTLING CLUB OFFICIAL

We finally got the go ahead from the director of clubs we start practice next week, as of right now we are going to be coaching ourselves and learning from one another. Here are our weight classes

125-Chris Skaggs (South Oldham)

133-Drew Trimble(johnson central)

141-Max ballestero<---me (montgomery county)

149- Kaleb Joyner (Illnois somewhere)

157- Aaron Hickey (Campbell county)

Nick Cooper (Henry Clay)

165- Benjamin Mason

174- Corey Banslaugh

184-Atharasis Agamemnonos

197- Matt White

235- no one

285- I think a UK football player is going to take this after there season is over

These are just the people who showed up to the meeting there were about 5 who couldn't make it.

We are going to be wrestling through www.ncwa.net , when we get our schdule I will post it

Ohhh thats really good,its still silly they even got rid of UofK's wrestling team when their stats were good when they were around,so do you all have alot of guys coming out so far?

I saw skaggs in there,he graduated from 03,man I wonder if you can actually come back in06 and be good,glad to see some talent entering the room

good luck

yea we are looking for mat but as of right now we can't afford to buy one, the chaffins said that if prestonsburg doesn't have a team we can go pick up their mats since their father bought them... but thats IF they don't have a team...do you know of any mats we can use ?

Max, great job buddy, let me know your schedule (practice and comp.) I will try to come up and work out with you sometime. Keep up the hard work guy's.

Whats this club about? Can anyone join and when do you guys wrestle? how do you join and how much is it? someone please send me a private message with all the info, maybe ill join, that is if i'm aloud.

Well guys, here is the deal all of those people who are listed in those weight classes basically quit besides about 3-5 of us. Most people decided to do other things (frats, club dodgeball, etc.) or they just don't have the grades to be wrestling right now. Good news though I managed to get UK student government to pay for our singlets custom ones that are SICK! headgear as well, and stock blue singlets all cliff keen :-D. We have no money and no wrestling mat which is rough.Hopefully we will get some fundraisers going in the off season so we can buy warmups and a used mat. We have wrestled at a few tournaments already and have done fairly well considering none of us are cutting weight and we don't practice as much as other teams. This season will be our test year I guess you could say, next year we will have a much organized season and hopefully a fuller line up. Thanks for the support from everyone. P.S if anyone has questions just email me max.ballestero@uky.edu 

I don't know how these schools fund their club teams and all that, but this is something you could look into.  Auburn and Florida both have teams that show up at a few early season tournaments we go to (Georgia Tech Open, UNC-Pembroke Open), Georgia Tech and Central Florida also have club teams that seem to be well funded.  The Patriot Open (at University of the Cumberlands, usually the first weekend of November every year) allows club teams to compete as well as the above mentioned tournaments, so that would give you a decent amount of tournaments for the first semester.

On a side note, with the exception of a few freshmen/redhirts, the majority of the teams that show up to Georgia Tech Open are clubs, so you would have a good look at what club nationals would be like, if they still run a national tournament.  If you need any contact info for the schools I've mentioned, message me and I'll see what I can come up with.

Champion School of Wrestling is opening soon in Kentucky, with Joe Carr Sr. running day to day operations.  They may be someone you guys should team up with to help get your program started.  Not a better person to have on your side than a 3x AA and former coach at UK.  For more info, check out the website at www.teamchampionwrestling.com or email Coach Carr at Info@teamchampionwrestling.com.

Hey thanks for the info dan, I will definitely get in touch with around preseason so we can try to attend the same college opens you guys go to. They still hold club nationals but due to our money issues I'm not sure if we will be able to make it this year. And tcw coach thanks for that info as well, I will talk to coach carr and see how they can help us out. Thanks guys - max