Sign in to follow this  
Shady-Shady-Shady

Issues with Wrestler Participating in other Sports

I do not think most coaches from other sports understand wrestling its demands its yr round "demands to excell in it " cross training doing other sports does help wrestling with the majority of wrestlers particularly those who get noticed being smaller and one sport athletes because of it it also tends to keep the separation between the sports going , my sons school has a lot if good two sport athletes who wrestle I think over time with effort coaches from other sports could and do begin to learn about wrestling.

More athletes from all sports should be doing the same training in schools it would build respect for all sports from all the kids and would actually help them all ,too many egos in the way !!

Doesn't matter for wrestlers really wrestling is tip dog as far as training goes no other sport has its demands , cross country and track seems a b but its still just a bunch of running in the end and you don't have people trying to tear your head off launch you through the air and stick you on your back after punishing you

Not forbidden but we will say not supported. Some people think the only way to get better with football is weight room. Not everybody understands the complexity and benefits our sports give. I have had wrestlers play football, track and cross country in college and they all thank me for what I put them through. I even had one of my guys finish basic training and said it was a breeze because of wrestling.

• Upvote 1

Seems to me the football coach needs some learning on the benefits of wrestling. Hand fighting alone is a great skill to have for a football player. Not to mention the myriad of other benefits that wrestling provides.

I grew up in another state where a football coach "strongly suggested" his lineman (and anyone else for that matter) wrestle after football season.  Every year the entire O and D lines wrestled due to this suggestion......they won state almost annually.  I think football coaches could learn quite a bit if they would just allow themselves to take a look.