Sign in to follow this  
mat-king

McDonough's Medal

"I read many places and saw some photos saying/showing McDonough throwing away his second place medal. Someone standing there took it out of the trash and posted the picture online. If I knew how to post a photo I would. I didn't see how he acted on the podium or if this was done in front of everyone, but I wonder what your thoughts on this are?"

Seen this on yappi. WOW is all I can think to say

I never did like the attitudes of the hawkeye wrestlers... Especially when metcalf lost to caldwell and pushed him.. I did however like Daniel Dennis, really wanted to see him win a championship, liked his drive. Other than him, never cared for the hawkeyes.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest if it is true. Right now McD is innocent until proven guilty but this is very plausible. I am going to look at it from a slightly more positive angle. Guys like McD and Metcalf are so competitive that anything less then greatness is beyond unacceptable to them.

I called Delgado breaking out last year but he showed at NCAA's that year just how incosistent he is. At one moment he is destroying McD then the next he finishes 7th at the NCAA tournament, a loss to Levi Mele isn't that bad but still an example of my point. Delgado is probably the most talented wrestler at 125, and if he wrestles like he has been then he should win nationals. 125 is the most competative weight this year outside of 174, here is how I see it right now, but a lot depends on brackets and of course who shows up at the tournament

1. Jesse Delgado, Illinois

Tons of momentum coming in to the tourny

2. Matt McDononough, Iowa

The only person who has beaten McD more then once is Delgado. Of McD's 7 career losses, 3 came from Delgado (the other losses are to Angel Escobedo his freshman year, Brandon Precin and Anthony Robles his sophomore year, and Alan Waters this year)

3. Nico Megaludis, Penn State

Nico is a straight up baller, kid has ice in his veins. Last year he had that incredible run to the national finals, and when the lights come on you can rely on Nico to turn in his A Game.

4. Alan Waters, Missouri

Waters has turned in excellent regular season results throughout his career only to falter and lose at the NCAA tournament. He has one of the weaker wins resumes of the field outside of his win over McD and two wins over Garrett this year.

5. Nahshon Garrett, Cornell

Garrett has been very impressive his freshman year with wins over the likes of Jerome Robinson and Steve Bonnano. A superb athelete with tons of potential, I have Garrett a bit higher then most will have him but I'm going with my gut.

6. David Thorn

After coming in huge at the start of the season with his pin of Bonnano Thorn faltered and his some bad losses to Josh Martinez of Air Force. However, the national tournament is a whole other animal and Thorn showed his potential at the start of the year, which was good enough for a top 3 spot.

7. Jarrod Garnett, Virginia Tech

I am definately shorting Garnett here who could finish as high as 4th. I am basing a lot of this placement on the fact he didn't impress me that much when I watched him at Virginia Duals.

8. Nathan Kraisser, North Carolina

I was hesitant to put Kraisser on here since outside of his win over Garnett he doesn't have the most impressive results. But I couldn't make a better argument for any of the other guys I wanted on here. There are around 5-6 more guys competing to break into the top 8 such as Josh Martinez and Steve Bonnano.