Sign in to follow this  
mat-king

Returning olympic medals

Seen on the indiana forums that some wrestlers will be returning olympic medals in protest. 
So my question is do you think this will help, and could you return your medal if you had one?

Its easy to say yes I would return if I had one, because I dont, and never will have one. I would like to think I would be able to give it back for the greater good, and hold my memories as token, but if I was wearing my gold medal around my neck right now that I got by beating Jordan Burroughs and several other world class wrestlers I dont know if I could do it.

It is a good message to send however. Whats cool when you think about it is that it seems, to me at least, that a gesture such as this is made for the kids solely.

Seems an odd way to protest , wouldn't marching or having a World Wide Save Wrestling Day be more appropriate , I mean its a no Brainer have everyone who wants to save Olympic wrestling around the world do something united on a set date and show how much it is loved ,,I would Keep my Medal and have a little Kid wear it on that day to send the message that him or anyone his age will not have the chance to get one ???? Still say the quickest way to keep the sport is to get kids involved and that is not being done at the moment or in the past in the state ,create an interest make it available and doable and Make heroes of the champions so that other kids will want that thunder , only eight kids last yr on Kys Fargo team I think in cadet and jr , with two full squads headed to NHSCA that did very well and many kids looking to go who couldn't ???? Hard to believe only eight opted for Fargo , seems most would give freestyle a shot at least and there might be at least 20 in cadet and Jr ,also srs should Be convinced to go many often times opt out because of college , I think it's a cop out , if I were a college coach I would Want my soon to Be fresh going win or lose serious as a heart attack or just for fun I would want them on the mat .

Seems an odd way to protest , wouldn't marching or having a World Wide Save Wrestling Day be more appropriate , I mean its a no Brainer have everyone who wants to save Olympic wrestling around the world do something united on a set date and show how much it is loved ,,I would Keep my Medal and have a little Kid wear it on that day to send the message that him or anyone his age will not have the chance to get one ???? Still say the quickest way to keep the sport is to get kids involved and that is not being done at the moment or in the past in the state ,create an interest make it available and doable and Make heroes of the champions so that other kids will want that thunder , only eight kids last yr on Kys Fargo team I think in cadet and jr , with two full squads headed to NHSCA that did very well and many kids looking to go who couldn't ???? Hard to believe only eight opted for Fargo , seems most would give freestyle a shot at least and there might be at least 20 in cadet and Jr ,also srs should Be convinced to go many often times opt out because of college , I think it's a cop out , if I were a college coach I would Want my soon to Be fresh going win or lose serious as a heart attack or just for fun I would want them on the mat .

Lets not forget the financial aspect. Going to Fargo isnt cheap.

No ,not at all , that's why they raise money have fund raisers and should plan ahead of time !! Most states do the tax exempt stuff haw their kids go out and raise money and do other things to raise funds , I have seen more talk on this site about saving the Olympics than about the states Fargo Olympic style wrestling team , doesn't really add up to me the first step would be to have a team , a lot of talk very little action as far as raising interest in the Olympic styles . In the state , pushing Sombo when hardly any kids even wrestle freestyle Greco seems more than odd

Kentucky's culture regarding freestyle and Greco leaves much to be desired. If you want to try and lead a charge for Kentucky to accept them, then be my guest. The year I went the only two kids at my weight were Jayce, and I. Kyle Terry was the state Greco champ without wrestling a match

Kentucky's culture regarding freestyle and Greco leaves much to be desired. If you want to try and lead a charge for Kentucky to accept them, then be my guest. The year I went the only two kids at my weight were Jayce, and I. Kyle Terry was the state Greco champ without wrestling a match

Forfeiting into a freestyle or greco roman state championship is not uncommon. Ive seen it happen too many times to count.

I would love to lead a charge , lol I'm nit that fast it may be a brisk walk , I would like to see the sports grow. , I would much rather have seen wrestling take off as a prime time sport than MMA UFC , I think it has never been promoted or pushed properly , understanding it seems boring to some I think more should have been done to glamourise the sport making it more mainstream and people should have been better educated in the aspects of it ,

When Pro wrestling was at its peak actual wrestling missed its chance to take advantage of its namesake , it could have been promoted and guided much better but was not ,

If I had the resources I would lead a great charge raise awareness , have REAL awards and show how it ties in to other sports MMA , Pro wrestling , football etc , creating a pro wrestling Real pro wrestling was a great idea but it never achieved its real purpose ,