Sign in to follow this  
mommaswatching

Anywhere but Alltech, Please

The Louisville Gardens holds a little over 6000 people and in the past was used for events like circuses, basketball, wrestling, concerts and other such events. Broadbent would be nice but I cant remember the KFEC allowing parking passes for such events and parking there ranges from six to ten dollars, dont think ppl would want to incur the extra cost.

The Gardens would be the most logical place. but the biggest problem would be lodging. Parking around the Gardens might be a little stiff on Friday during the business day. JCPS was going to buy the Gardens from the city at one point until Cornish wanted the building. There hasnt been an athletic event held there in 2-3 years. JCPS then wasted money on a "super gym" lol at Valley HS but it only holds 3500. Bellermine Knights hall could be an option but that depends on thier BB schedule and they have limited concessions. Like I said , the Farm Machinery show is the biggest problem because they take up so much hotel space and bring in the big tourism bucks. I do wish they would renovate the convention center for sports, it would be perfect with hotels in walking distance like the civic center.

I have a 4 yr old daughter who had an asthma attack Friday evening after we left the event, and had to have breathing treatments throughout the day on Saturday. The area WAS filthy!! Her white tights were ruined, and that was just from being in the seating. The area was to small for her to play on the floor, and I did not let her run around the arena.  I have traveled to Frankfort and Lexington for the past 7 years for the  State Wrestling Tournament and State Cross Country Meet, and I do NOT think the Horse Park is appropriate for Wrestling. As a mother, and a Team Mom, I was upset that regular folks aren't allowed on the floor to take photos during a match, or for the Medal Ceremony. In Frankfort, this was allowed. Also, what in Haiti was the restriction that you could only take photos, or record matches, from your seat, and were not allowed to use a tripod? That was the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard.

I agree that a rotation to each of the Regions would be the fairest thing for all involved. Why should one Region benefit more over the others? 

I live in the Louisville Area, and for one would not mind paying $8.00 to park daily, it sure beats paying $300 for a 2 night stay at a hotel. I just think that KHSAA needs to look at all aspects before renewing their contract with Alltech, and take into consideration that the Athletes especially, may have sensitivities to their surrounding and could (not necessarily WILL) affect the outcome of their matches due to those sensitivities.

I think that it should be put up for a vote of all involved as to where it should be held. I would definitely cast my vote for an 8 year rotation.

• Upvote 2

So let me understand this, the arena is why the atmosphere is bad?  

I think the excitement in Frankfort was do to the fact people were closer together and it was smaller venue which made it louder.  There is just not enough people to fill up the horsepark.  To me, that is the only downside to the horsepark.  From a comfort and convenience standpoint, I think the horsepark is an improvement.  More restrooms, concessions and more room.  Some have mentioned adding mats.  I had a hard enough time trying to keep track of all the matches going on.  I do like the tarp/plastic idea to minimize dust.  I think this would greatly reduce the problems people are having with allergies.  Turning the lights down for the finals simply took away from the matches.  Couldn't see very well.  I'm certain they can work on getting spotlights mounted for the finals.  As a matter of fact.  Even if we had to hire a lighting crew and add a little to the admission to cover the cost, it would be worth it to me.  Seems like that would be a fairly easy fix.  Definately some things that can be improved upon, but I think it was way over due to moved from Frankfort.  Those who want it in Louisville are probably from there.  If it's going to be moved again, I think it should stay in Lexington...much more centrally located.

If it's going to be moved again, I think it should stay in Lexington...much more centrally located.

I'm not for sure how you define "centrally located", but here is a brief look in terms of population.  The state of Kentucky has 4,339,367 people according to the 2010 census. Out of those 4.3 million people, 1,266,454 live in the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area. In the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area 269,096 people actually live in Indiana so if those people are removed then 997,358 people are KY residents in the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area. That comes out to 23.0% of the population who live in the LouisvilleMSA alone.

Since you advocate for Lexington in your post I will use the Lexington-Fayette-Frankfort-Richmond, KY Combined Statistical Area (a very large region geographically) for population numbers. In that CSA there are 685,419 people. That comes out to 15.8% of the population.

We could further consider the top 10 cities in the state of Kentucky population wise that aren't already included and see which city they are geographically closer to.

1. Louisville - Included in the Louisville MSA

2. Lexington - Included in the Lexington CSA

3. Bowling Green - Closer to Louisville

4. Owensboro - Closer to Louisville

5. Covington -Closer to Lexington

6. Richmond - Included in the Lexington CSA

7. Hopkinsville - Closer to Louisville

8. Henderson - Closer to Louisville

9. Florence - Closer to Lexington

10. Frankfort - Included in the Lexington CSA

As you see. Of the six cities not already included four of them are closer to Louisville by more than 50 miles. The two that are closer to Lexington are only so by a mere 15 miles. 

This is by no means a definitive study---but I think it's pretty clear that your original statement is false. When speaking in terms of population, Louisville is more centrally located than the Lexington.

I'm not for sure how you define "centrally located", but here is a brief look in terms of population.  The state of Kentucky has 4,339,367 people according to the 2010 census. Out of those 4.3 million people, 1,266,454 live in the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area. In the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area 269,096 people actually live in Indiana so if those people are removed then 997,358 people are KY residents in the Louisville Metropolitan Statistical Area. That comes out to 23.0% of the population who live in the LouisvilleMSA alone.

Since you advocate for Lexington in your post I will use the Lexington-Fayette-Frankfort-Richmond, KY Combined Statistical Area (a very large region geographically) for population numbers. In that CSA there are 685,419 people. That comes out to 15.8% of the population.

We could further consider the top 10 cities in the state of Kentucky population wise that aren't already included and see which city they are geographically closer to.

As you see. Of the six cities not already included four of them are closer to Louisville by more than 50 miles. The two that are closer to Lexington are only so by a mere 15 miles. 

This is by no means a definitive study---but I think it's pretty clear that your original statement is false. When speaking in terms of population, Louisville is more centrally located than the Lexington.

Nice info. Move it to Louisville!

• Upvote 2

Coach McCoy, has a multi year contract been signed with Alltech? If so, how long? Is it possible to have a committee to look at other venues?

Silly me. I forgot to do my population study before i made the comment lol! I could give 2 sh...where it's held in terms of distance. I drive my kid to practice twice week further than louisville or lexington. i just know for some the distance is an issue for them. I was speaking in general terms. Not where most people live but rather Lexington being a large city more in the center if the state.

Louisville still has 1.2 million in it's combined metro area population minus the counties from Indiana. Over 1.4 with the Indiana counties. Not trying to be too technical, but i'm agreeing with you. Louisville is more centrally located, and still only 30-40 min from Frankfort. 

The area was to small for her to play on the floor, and I did not let her run around the arena.... . Also, what in Haiti was the restriction that you could only take photos, or record matches, from your seat, and were not allowed to use a tripod?

You are to be commended for not letting your daughter run around the arena.  I was run over several times by youngsters during the weekend when I didn't dodge quick enough.  The reason the tripods were not allowed, I was informed, was that a girl crashed into one during Friday's matches and they were afraid of more incidents ( I read that as possible lawsuits).  We were allowed to use ours at our seat as long as the legs were not unfolded from the center and it was immediately retracted when finished.

• Upvote 1

Louisville still has 1.2 million in it's combined metro area population minus the counties from Indiana. Over 1.4 with the Indiana counties. Not trying to be too technical, but i'm agreeing with you. Louisville is more centrally located, and still only 30-40 min from Frankfort. 

Definitely could be true.  Just using the most recent stats I could find quickly on the internet based on census information.

Silly me. I forgot to do my population study before i made the comment lol! I could give 2 sh...where it's held in terms of distance. I drive my kid to practice twice week further than louisville or lexington. i just know for some the distance is an issue for them. I was speaking in general terms. Not where most people live but rather Lexington being a large city more in the center if the state.

But if you are talking about being centrally located, wouldn't you want to be centrally located to where most people live?  I can't find it right now but at one time I ran the numbers on driving times for every school listed on KHSAA under wrestling for NKU's arena, Alltech Arena, and somewhere in Louisville.  If I remember correctly the drive times for Louisville were shorter.  I'm going to try to find that spreadsheet soon.

• Upvote 1

Ok I looked up the population center of Kentucky and it is in Willisburg in Washington county.

Which is 60 miles from Louisville and 45 miles from Lexington.

Do with this information as you wish.

Ok I looked up the population center of Kentucky and it is in Willisburg in Washington county.

Which is 60 miles from Louisville and 45 miles from Lexington.

Do with this information as you wish.

Interesting.

Look up the zip codes of the participating schools too. Most schools participating at the KHSAA State Wrestling Tournament are from NKy and Louisville. 75% of the participants are from there.