Sign in to follow this  
coffeesgood

State Champion awards??

I noticed the champions had little medals...no brackets, no plaques like in years' past. Did anyone else notice this, and does anyone know if brackets and plaques will be given out later?

I noticed that they weren't given plaques or brackets either. The medals didn't look like they were much either. I think they went cheap on this years championship. It got really quiet in the arena after the Union County fans left. I feel like the later classes got shorted on the fan base. By the time the Heavy's wrestled there was little crowd left.

Everything about state sucks now, (except the kids wrestling their hearts out). I hate the dusty Horse Park. Most kids spend the day fighting allergies and slippery mats. The guy running it is a clown and its all about the money. I sure miss Frankfort. It was a much better atmosphere. These kids wrestle all year for this, it should be a festival... That's my rant... My kids laying in bed eating ice cream. Best reward ever for a senior wrestler!!! Lol

• Upvote 2

I noticed the champions had little medals...no brackets, no plaques like in years' past. Did anyone else notice this, and does anyone know if brackets and plaques will be given out later?

They should take take notice of the middle school state awards

Medals as big around as softballs , finalist singlets,1/8 thick brackets.

• Upvote 2

Everything about state sucks now. Not what I worked my ass off for. A medal the size of a penny. Come on. Look at the greater wrestling states like OH. Parents get to sit right in front of the mat. They get much better awards, they don't have to wrestle in horse poop all day and I'm sure there warm up area isn't 32 degrees. Come on KY, how did they think this would boost wrestling in Kentucky?

• Upvote 1

Yes, the medals have to get better. I've seen middle school district, and region medals with plaques on the back stating weight/place/year/tournament that looked better than the high school medals. Over 5000 ppl at $15 apiece they should be able to squeeze out better medals.

As much as I like the medals, boards and singlets of the middle school (btw the KSWA got it right)....I would still trade that for placing and winning a high school state championship. At the end of the day, it's how well you did at the tourney that's memories are made of.

Like I tell my 5/6 year old kids....you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

• Downvote 1

I may be part of the minority and don't want to start a debate about the arena, but I really like the tournament being at Altell Arena but shame on the KHSAA for the pitiful little medal they gave out this year. At the least, they could give out a bracket to the champions. Seems incredibly cheap on the KHSAAs behalf!

That's a great idea pioneer. I think there is man who runs a porta-potty business who might be willing to support the tournament. 

On a separate note, the first time i wrestled was 8th grade and i got 6th at state and got a huge medal and couldnt wait for state, thinking they would give huge medals in high school needless to say i was disappointed but at least they still had the plaque and framed bracket

• Upvote 1

Heck the youth medals are nicer then the HS

As much as I like the medals, boards and singlets of the middle school (btw the KSWA got it right)....I would still trade that for placing and winning a high school state championship. At the end of the day, it's how well you did at the tourney that's memories are made of.

Like I tell my 5/6 year old kids....you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

Right on there!!

Paul, I'm getting a plaque and brackets made myself.  I'll order for you and Austin as well.  What a joke that the parents have to go get them made themselves.  The KHSAA can be assured that when my wrestler is finished, I probably will never step foot in their tournament again unless things change and change quickly!

Do the math and they made 6 figures plus because a large part of the 5,000 paid for all session passes.  If they're spending that kind of money for rent then they need fired, period!  Complete set of awards should be $1,000-$1,400 or less for 14 deserving young men.  Sad!

I can understand the money aspect about the awards but come on KHSAA. How much cost could be involved in giving a poster sized bracket? Pitiful!

I guess the title was just more than enough for me, I've looked at my medal and hand printed bracket only a handful of times but I have the memories.

You're absolutely right the title/memories are what's important, but that still doesn't make it right.  I suspect that for a voluntary nonprofit 501©3 organization the KHSAA staff is doing quite well instead of giving back to the athletes and schools that they're supposed to be serving.

• Upvote 1