Sign in to follow this  
DamonMBarnes

Wrestling cut from 2020 Olympics

I just read an article on another site about that, this is the most disheartening thing to hear about with the sport. Think about all of the guys that are training or wanted to train to make the olympics and now they have no where to go after 2016's games, other than the world cup. Looks like MMA will become more prominent in recieving a lot of college wrestlers after they graduate.

This isn't going to go over too well internationally. When Baseball and Softball were cut they had solid reasoning since the sport was only popular in a tiny handful of countries. Wrestling spans North America, Eastern and Northern Europe, most of Asia, Northern Africa, and the Middle East.

Honestly don't see it happening. There are so many countries around the world that place a much higher emphasis on wrestling than we do here in the states. It would be an absolute travesty.

This will kill a lot of off season wrestling, for programs in the north since there will no long be a need for free style or Greco wrestling. Sad thing to hear. We need to work on a solution. It's prolly wont go over we'll in the mma world since they claim most of their fighters from wrestling. Good possibility it's changed I believe

There is still the World Championships so it isn't like there is no reason to wrestle freestyle and Greco anymore. But the Olympics are extremely symbolic and certain countries (like us) place high emphasis on the Olympics

Wow, our world is overrun with metro sexual hippies, the exact people we as coaches have had to cut or who couldn't handle our workouts.  No offense to anyone, just really shocked at where our world is headed.  I'm thinking the United States is headed that direction also. I'm glad I get to raise my sons, because society would screw them up.

• Upvote 1

Amen jbiggie, dont get me started on these softies. not gonna soapbox but it's sad. Just when you thought MMA was helping wrestling. It has in many ways but unfortunately it's also going to replace it. MMA is the X game version of wrestling. Fastest growing sport in world. I'm a big fan but it is also a culprit.

Lets face it, "Real Pro Wrestling" Mo Lawel, Rico Blackmon and other Olympic hopefuls. All the rule changes, weight classes. They have been trying for many years. Probably losing its A@# financially at the training center. Its not as exciting as punching someone in the face, not as fun either. Todays culture is different.

Not to mention the all mighty $, who is watching, supporting, ratings.

Think of the TRICKLE down effect, USAW and it monies and supporters and young Olympic hopefuls. USAW is gonna get punched in the face.

we all pay.

WRESTLING the oldest Olympic sport.

Light em up! pressoffice@olympic.org

While I love your enthusiasm here and im not discouraging you. Theyre going to get hit with so many emails it would be a waste of time to type a well thought out email thinking anyone will read it or respond. It sounds like this was a shady deal. Read the article on foxsports titled "no wrestling in olympics? Unreal"

The article claims pentathalon has been voted to keep instead of wrestling. Some of the board members had pentahalon connections and the vote was done by hidden ballot?? Wtf....time for a revolution. This is insane.

I feel bad for most if us as spectators but my God if you were an olympic hopeful for the 2020 olympics like a mark hall....this would turn your life upside down.

I believe this will get worked out when common sense prevails. The article mentions that wrestling is much more popular than pentathalon. Wrestling will stay. I remember the head wrestling coach at miami making a comment at an seminar that basketball is a fad compared to wrestling. Keep the faith and do what you can. I think the table at state is a great idea. Can you guys keep that going through to youth state?

We will do our best to keep the table up through little league state. I will see what I can do to find someone that can run it on Sunday for us and then get the letters back to me.

It comes down to $. NBC paid BILLIONS to broadcast the Olympics and wrestling doesn't get ratings. Heck I had trouble finding it on the channels last time.

They will add golf and rugby, both of which have athletes plastered with endorsements. There are no adverts on wrestling singlets. And also not many eyes on the TV when wrestling is broadcast.