Sign in to follow this  
cmccoy

Tweet from Jason Frakes (Courier Journal)

I think the appropriate sarcastic response to that would be:

"Good work Kentucky High School media for not covering wrestling enough to have rankings yourself."

The media will cover events if notified.....All booster programs need to get a Media Chairperson to get them to cover your events and cover events your teams have wrestled in.  It's not like basketball in this state as we all know.    He also has a point on the rankings.....Middle School gets more attention now.   Just my opinion !

He tweeted to me that he can't come to tournaments because they all last until 1 am because "they're so unorganized."

He also said you guys do NOTHING to promote wrestling.

You buncha slackers LOL!

Sounds like someone stuck on another sport who listens to people from those sports , if a tournament takes all day or two days what does it matter it's how that sport is , just because it does not follow a timeline doesn't give someone the right to ignore it !!!!as for promoting a sport the kids do that on the mat , the medias job is to cover it , as for rankings is there an official rankings person ????? If not the Khsaa should handle it !and the media should go through them .

not to be devils advocate but when we did the rankings, we had new rankings every 3 weeks with no internet, common email and no web page . They were also very accurate. The courier and other papers cater to basketball because its what sells, just like Trinity and StX sells in Louisville. Sad state of affairs is that You have to cater to them, a consistant flow of information. Bob White and Jody Demling and I had a great relationship but I knew where wrestling stood. Bob came to every tournament I ran for 15 years because he knew it was going to be an easy story and had access to brackets and any information he needed. Not every community has a Josh Claywell that is a true fan of the sport. Your are only as important as you perceive your self to be.

Khsaa states at the state tournament about 4-5 times during each day that they do not rank wrestlers.
So I would not look for them to do it any time soon.

Fact of the matter is if we dont do a good job promoting ourselves and producing rankings , wrestling will never be taken seriously by the media. Cant blame them, if we cant keep our own house in order why should they be made to come fix us up.

As far as rankings go, Ranger has been a huge disappointment. He put in many hours of hard work over the years and that is much appreciated, but to just walk away from doing the rankings consistently without an official "retire" notice, is rude. Ranger went out of his way to prove the old KHSAA rankings were illagitament and to compare his rankings to theirs in the hopes to prove how much better he was.He got his way and they quit doing them and even adopted using his rankings as official for the state meet. So i dont wanna hear anyone coming to his defense in saying he just did it "for the boys" as an unselfish act, wrong. He did it for his own ego as well. I fully understand he has better things to do, i get it, but at least announce your walking away so a new Ranger can step up.

• Upvote 1

First of all, kudos to Ranger for taking on such a thankless job. My criticism wasn't aimed it him. His rankings were much appreciated, but I think it illustrates the problem. With so many resources throughout the state, why is one person in charge of ranking the entire state?

I shouldn't have made a generalization about the "wrestling community," and for that apologize. I've met plenty of good people in the wrestling community during my time at The Courier-Journal, people who were very understanding and patient with a wrestling novice. I can't thank them enough.

I know there are good stories to tell in the wrestling community and feel like I've told a decent share of them. Could I do more? Of course. At the same time, it becomes frustrating in trying to gather basic information throughout the season and getting no response. I can't tell you the number of times I've called or emailed a coach, simply to get info about an upcoming meet, and received no help.

I received one response on Twitter that rankings are of no use to the wrestling community. I doubt that's the case, but - if so - that's fine. I can tell you they are of great use to the media in giving the public a general idea of who's good, both teamwise and in each weight class. I've gone out of my way to publish these rankings whenever possible.

Sorry to post such a long response but wanted to let everyone know that I wasn't trying to attack the wrestling community. However, in just the six years I've had this job, the amount of communication and cooperation from coaches, officials, etc., has drastically decreased.

If you have any suggestions or comments on how we can improve this, feel free to email me any time at jfrakes@courier-journal.com

Good luck to all of you during the upcoming regional and state meets. See you in Lexington!

Jason Frakes

The Courier-Journal

First of all, kudos to Ranger for taking on such a thankless job. My criticism wasn't aimed it him. His rankings were much appreciated, but I think it illustrates the problem. With so many resources throughout the state, why is one person in charge of ranking the entire state?

I shouldn't have made a generalization about the "wrestling community," and for that apologize. I've met plenty of good people in the wrestling community during my time at The Courier-Journal, people who were very understanding and patient with a wrestling novice. I can't thank them enough.

I know there are good stories to tell in the wrestling community and feel like I've told a decent share of them. Could I do more? Of course. At the same time, it becomes frustrating in trying to gather basic information throughout the season and getting no response. I can't tell you the number of times I've called or emailed a coach, simply to get info about an upcoming meet, and received no help.

I received one response on Twitter that rankings are of no use to the wrestling community. I doubt that's the case, but - if so - that's fine. I can tell you they are of great use to the media in giving the public a general idea of who's good, both teamwise and in each weight class. I've gone out of my way to publish these rankings whenever possible.

Sorry to post such a long response but wanted to let everyone know that I wasn't trying to attack the wrestling community. However, in just the six years I've had this job, the amount of communication and cooperation from coaches, officials, etc., has drastically decreased.

If you have any suggestions or comments on how we can improve this, feel free to email me any time at jfrakes@courier-journal.com

Good luck to all of you during the upcoming regional and state meets. See you in Lexington!

Jason Frakes

The Courier-Journal

jason, i feel you have apologized for doing absolutely nothing wrong. in fact i thank you for calling out the coaches who dont help you. these are probably the same coaches who whine about not having enough kids on their team. ridiculous. we feel your pain as well, we can rarely get results of any of the meets across the state. i have a challenge for you, next year please come to us, the community and try and get your answers. i am sure we will all do our best to help.

Floridafan ---come on really. Last time I checked Ranger isn't paid by anyone to post or do rankings. I can't imagine that running the KSWA and just finishing up the mState tourney or running his own team....state champs I might add , his family and work duties would have anything to do with not updating results. Or...could it be that he's tired of reading the crap that people give him for doing what everyone else can do themselves if they do choose to do so. Get over yourself. If you want rankings...do us all a favor and post them. This is a public site. Have fun!!

Sounds like someone stuck on another sport who listens to people from those sports , if a tournament takes all day or two days what does it matter it's how that sport is , just because it does not follow a timeline doesn't give someone the right to ignore it !!!!as for promoting a sport the kids do that on the mat , the medias job is to cover it , as for rankings is there an official rankings person ????? If not the Khsaa should handle it !and the media should go through them .

Ranger has always done a great job. But i think he will get some relief soon. With KHSAA going to track wrestling and all of the school having to put their results into track wrestling. it's a matter of time before it will all be completed online.

I appreciate you Ranger.  I appreciate the amount of time it takes to put together accurate information compiled from the entire state.  With that being said; the rankings do need to come out every two to three weeks.  I log on this site everyday in anticipation of a new set of rankings, and I'm let down a little bit everyday.  Not a big deal, but I do want that information.  Instead of complaining about it I'd like to offer a hand.  I'd be happy to help put the rankings together.  I study the rankings anyway and I use track wrestling to see results as well.  Tournament directors have to make an effort to post the results either on track or in the results section of this site.  It does take forever to put them together because I'v already started doing it for myself, but I am willing to help.  Let me know.

Floridafan ---come on really. Last time I checked Ranger isn't paid by anyone to post or do rankings. I can't imagine that running the KSWA and just finishing up the mState tourney or running his own team....state champs I might add , his family and work duties would have anything to do with not updating results. Or...could it be that he's tired of reading the crap that people give him for doing what everyone else can do themselves if they do choose to do so. Get over yourself. If you want rankings...do us all a favor and post them. This is a public site. Have fun!!

all i am saying is if you take on a job, then finish it. if you no longer have the time then pass the torch.

• Downvote 1

I appreciate you Ranger.  I appreciate the amount of time it takes to put together accurate information compiled from the entire state.  With that being said; the rankings do need to come out every two to three weeks.  I log on this site everyday in anticipation of a new set of rankings, and I'm let down a little bit everyday.  Not a big deal, but I do want that information.  Instead of complaining about it I'd like to offer a hand.  I'd be happy to help put the rankings together.  I study the rankings anyway and I use track wrestling to see results as well.  Tournament directors have to make an effort to post the results either on track or in the results section of this site.  It does take forever to put them together because I'v already started doing it for myself, but I am willing to help.  Let me know.

trithis, this is what i mean. sigep567 would want to do this as would others, but they feel like they are stepping on rangers toes so they dont. they ask for permission out of respect.

sige, please post what you have please as i believe the entire wrestling community would love to see them. thanks for your offer.

I can say this about Jason Frakes from personal experience, if you ask him to do something and help give him the resources to do it, he will.  It's pretty simple, just take the time to e-mail or call.  I had a wrestler a few years back who won a state title.  The kid was a pretty good story.  Honestly, when you think about it, we have a lot of kids in this great sport similar to this kid.  He didn't have a lot of natural talent, but he had a lot of guts and determination along with a tremendous work ethic.  Three years after starting the sport in which he won two matches his first year, both by forfeit, he won 50 matches and a state title.  I asked Jason to please do an article on this kid.  I gave Jason stats and the brief overview of the story and wouldn't you know it, he came out to the school, interviewed the kid and a week later, there was an article in the Courier-Journal.  In Bullitt County, after every meet in which we competed, I would make sure to send my results to the sports editor of the Pioneer News.  No, not every meet's results wound up in the paper, but about 75% of them did.  It just takes a little time and effort on our part.  I know time is precious and limited, especially during the season, but it can be done.

The guy that used to do the coaches association rankings before Ranger did his, was an assistant principal, Head Coach of 2 high school sports, family, state wrestling comitte member. Mailed them out to every member of the coaches association, was president of the association. And in all people would bash him for his work. Rankings are a thankless job, makes you a target if your also coaching a team. If Ranger want to do it, he should follow through , if not Chris McCoy should find someone in the wrestling community to help him with it. Also too many kids are ranked, it shouldnt matter if you work hard to get your name on a web site, beat some people, win some tournaments, place high or win the state tournament.

As for wrestling media and promotion;

Except for region 6, there are no real rivalies in duals. . Student populations dont follow wrestling closely except for close friends. As good coaches , we dont waste weigh in on Wed night duals to get just one match per kid when you can go to an all day Saturday tournament and get 3-5 matches. How many of our ADHD society will spend all day in a hot smelly gym from 9 AM - 9 PM so cheer for what could be an hour or an hour and a half in total action. Wrestling is a hard sport to follow. There are many coaches that dont share information and live in a cave. Maybe the use of Track Wrestling and a score board  will help. I think we should stay concerned on the growth and maybe more promotion will happen 

Our local paper has given us full access to print any articles we have and they print a number of pictures that we give them.  This is great and much appreciated.  Good luck getting any attention in the Lexington market though.  Even though Region 7 will have all kids from Central Kentucky, the news channels will be covering some basketball game between two losing teams at East Middle of Nowhere.  The Herald Leader is no better.  With that being said, Coaches and officials do the sport no favors in bringing in new fans or even catering to existing ones.  

The officials don't have access to the results of a tournament any more than a fan does.  In fact, a fan can follow the tournament a lot better than an official can.  An official cannot watch what is happening on the other mats. 

I know Region 1 guys have been joking about me becoming the next Ranger one day ever since my senior year of high school (Chase Boone first made the comment for you curious folk). I would definately be up to it at some point soon, but I would prefer to not have a college wrestling career to worry about. But if I was to do it then my vision would be more of a commitee then one guy doing everything. Someone in each region whose job it is to pick a top 4 guy at each weight, then the number one guy whose job is to rank the names given to him and check to make sure his regional guys are doing their job. I would also invite anyone who wants to do rankings to throw in their two cents. D1 Wrestling has around 6 or 7 different sets of rankings (Intermat, D1, TOM, etc).

I wish I could do my own rankings -- I really do.

But only seeing six teams the majority of the time throughout the year, I don't think there's any way I can justify that. If I had some help, that'd be a maybe -- but it would take a lot of help from coaches throughout the state. I know Region 2 coaches wouldn't be an issue in terms of me being able to stay in contact with them; it's the coaches in the rest of the state that I'd be worried about.

The rankings are a huge undertaking and Ranger has done an awesome job with them. I hope he can keep them up, but I know he's a busy man and doesn't have as much time for the rankings as he did when he started them.

And Ranger, if you need any help, you know you can always ask and I'll help in any way I can.

Josh

The officials don't have access to the results of a tournament any more than a fan does.  In fact, a fan can follow the tournament a lot better than an official can.  An official cannot watch what is happening on the other mats. 

I meant officials in the sense of those people running the tournaments and wrestling for the KHSAA.  I did not mean referees.

I will be glad to put together a team to do the rankings. I did not post this to put down or belittle Jason Frakes or Ranger. I posted to show that wrestling does matter to the media. Coaches are the biggest problem (me included) for not promoting our sport by emailing results etc. to the proper places. Jason and Ranger....please let me know what I can do to help. I will gladly do what it takes to promote the growth and info about our great sport.

I will be glad to put together a team to do the rankings. I did not post this to put down or belittle Jason Frakes or Ranger. I posted to show that wrestling does matter to the media. Coaches are the biggest problem (me included) for not promoting our sport by emailing results etc. to the proper places. Jason and Ranger....please let me know what I can do to help. I will gladly do what it takes to promote the growth and info about our great sport.
Please put the ranking team together . We have 3 people so far that said they will help. Thanks for coordinating. Sunday is a big day for wrestling with the release of the state draws. It would be nice to have top 8 ranked at least. I love to follow all weight classes at state and rankings are key. Our wrestling is improving in the state but our coaches and admins aren't keeping pace. Thank you to the 3 that have volunteerd.