Sign in to follow this  
tskin

Battle of the Bridge Wrestling

I am the head coach at Scottsburg High School in Indiana and have talkaed to a few of you last year.  Last year i started a all-area team for the local Southern Indiana teams (the 14 school in the southern indiana area near Louisville.)  What I would like to try to do this year with the help of the region 3 and 4 schools is to put on a all-star meet between the two areas.  the two kentucky regions have 18 schools to choose from so it should be fairly even in that matter.  My thoughts are to get someone on the Kentucky side to put together a team and we will have our team and then maybe have two meets at the end of season.  One in Indiana and one in Kentucky.  I think this would be a great way to bring more attention to our sport in the basketball dominated states.  If anyone thinks this is a good idea please let me know I think I have enough backing in our area to make this happen.

Thanks

Coach Skinner

http://www.scottsburgwrestling.com

I am the head coach at Scottsburg High School in Indiana and have talkaed to a few of you last year.  Last year i started a all-area team for the local Southern Indiana teams (the 14 school in the southern indiana area near Louisville.)  What I would like to try to do this year with the help of the region 3 and 4 schools is to put on a all-star meet between the two areas.  the two kentucky regions have 18 schools to choose from so it should be fairly even in that matter.  My thoughts are to get someone on the Kentucky side to put together a team and we will have our team and then maybe have two meets at the end of season.  One in Indiana and one in Kentucky.  I think this would be a great way to bring more attention to our sport in the basketball dominated states.  If anyone thinks this is a good idea please let me know I think I have enough backing in our area to make this happen.

Thanks

Coach Skinner

http://www.scottsburgwrestling.com

The Louisville side could choose its' team by winners of the Jefferson County Tournament of Champions.  Coach Coomes at Eastern High School (and Ky coaches association president) would be the person to talk to about organizing this.

If anyone could make contact with Coach Coomes and have him contact me at tskinner@scsd2.k12.in.us that would be great.

Coach SKinner

Coach Coomes if you are out there please contact me at tskinner@scsd2.k12.in.us

I really think this will help to bring more attention to the sport of wrestling.

Thanks

Tyson Skinner

Head Wrestling Coach

Scottsburg High School

Coaches are not allowed to be involved with their wrestlers after the State tournament.  At this point Team Kentucky would not be able to have a High School head coach involved and still comply with KHSAA rules.  All-Star events would need to be approved by the KHSAA board and that would take at least a year to get approved.

Coaches are not allowed to be involved with wrestlers after the state tourney?  Does Kentucky not have USA wrestling?  In Indiana almost 80% of high school coaches are also the club coaches for freestyle in the summer, is this different from Kentucky.  Also I shot our asst Commissioner of the IHSAA a email about wanting to do this after the season last year and he emailed me back within a week saying as long as the athletes were not wearing high school uniforms and it was a go!

Who coaches the Football and basketball all-star teams in Kentucky when they play Indiana?  I am pretty sure it is high school coaches.  Someone on the Kentucky side just needs to take the lead over there for me and contact the right officials so we can get this ball rolling for this year. 

Thanks

Tyson Skinner

I like your attitude tskin!

Let's get the ball rolling.

Listed on the KHSAA, Eastern's school phone number is (502)485-8243. You might be able to talk to him there. Let him know you were looking for him on KentuckyWrestling too.

I have called and left a message on Coach Coomes voicemail at school.  If anyone else oout there wants to help get this going for kentucky just step up and get in touch with the proper people in charge in the KHSAA for aproval and lets get it going.

Thanks

Tyson SKinner

I have called and left a message on Coach Coomes voicemail at school.  If anyone else oout there wants to help get this going for kentucky just step up and get in touch with the proper people in charge in the KHSAA for aproval and lets get it going.

Thanks

Tyson SKinner

Coach,

I'm sure we have plenty of coaches willing to do this with KY USA Wrestling. Coach Coomes is not very active in the off season. E mail me the specifics and I will see if I can get one of our Directors involved.

Keith D Smith

North Hardin HS Wrestling Coach

Kentucky USA Wrestling Chairman

(270) 351-0515

Keith.Smith@Hardin.kyschools.us

http://eteamz.com/nhhswrestling/

http://eteamz.active.com/kyusawrestling/

In regard to the all star match.....and coaching after the state tournament.

I assume these would be ALL seniors wrestlers.  Basically their high school wrestling career is over.

The KHSAA has no rules over these young men.  However, if they participated in a spring sport,,,that is differant.  someone should contact the KHSAA and get an official ruling.

Coach Skinner,

Can you provide a list of the 14 schools making up the S. IN all state squad.

I think S. IN vs Jeff Co will be a great matchup!

The 20 teams making up Jeff. Co. are:

1. Fern Creek 

2. Trinity 

3. Seneca 

4. Saint Xaiver 

5. Eastern 

6. Southern

7. Pleasure Ridge Park 

8. DeSales

9. Central 

10. Ballard 

11. Valley 

12. Moore 

13. Doss 

14. Fairdale

15. Jeffersontown 

16. Manual

17. Iroquois

18. KSB 

19. Western 

20. Atherton 

21. Holy Cross 

22. Kentucky Country Day

23. Shawnee 

Have you thought of sanctioning this event thru USAW to avoid all the HS issues? How bout using a cause to help promote and help out a needy organization at the same time, make a donation from the proceeds and create more good will with wrestling.

Ok guys I have emails Mr. Bobby Cox concerning a few items about this event.  Now this is what the IHSAA says.  The bolded text are Mr cox's responses to my email.

..............................................................................................................................................

Mr Cox,

I emailed you last year about trying to set up a all-star meet against

Louisville area schools after the State tourney.  I have a few other

questions just to make sure everything will be OK.

1.  From what I understand no athlete that competes in this will be

allowed to were there school singlet or warmups correct?  THAT IS

CORRECT.

2.  I am looking into getting a outside sponsor for this event to

possibly donate the uniforms.  Is that OK?  THIS IS PERMISSIBLE.

3.  Athletes do not have to be seniors to compete in the all-star event

do they? UNDERCLASS ATHLETES MAY PARTICIPATE UNDER THE RULE 15-2 OF THE

IHSAA BY-LAWS.

4.  Would a High School coach be allowed to coach the Southern Indiana

squad for this event?  YES, SO LONG AS THE EVENT IS NOT SPONSORED OR

ORGANIZED BY A MEMBER SCHOOL.

5.  Would the "all-star" squad be allowed to have a couple practices to

warm up for the event? YES.

Thanks for all your help.  I am currently trying to get someone to get

the ball rolling on the Kentucky side of the river so this event may

happen.

Thanks

Tyson Skinner

Head Wrestling Coach

Scottsburg High School

.............................................................................................................................................

So from the Indiana side of things it looks good just need to see what the KHSAA says.

As far as the teams involved.  here are a list of the South-Eastern area squad.

Jennings County

Seymour

Madison

Southwestern (Hanover)

New Washington

Scottsburg

Salem

Eastern (Peking)

Charlestown

Jeffersonville

New Albany

Floyd Central

Providence

Corydon

Honestly I haven't considered using the USAW.  My main concern has just to get this off the ground.  After we get both sides in agreement then we can look at what else can be done with this.

Thanks

Tyson Skinner

coach,

Making this a USA Wrestling event will help KY Coaches out with Liabilities, and KHSAA restrictions. The Tournament sanction fee is only $35 in KY, and covers both in state and out of state events.  Both sites would need to use there own USAW Assoc. to sanction there event. Something to consider.

What exactly are the KHSAA santions.  If someone could please send the list of questions I have sent to our board and get some answers that would be great.  Other sports in Kentucky have all-star type events correct?  What do they do to make theirs work?  The one down side is if this becomes a USAW event then you always have that chance that wrestlers on the teams will not be members of USAW.  Which if it is a sponsored event for everyone to be covered just like in club wrestling everyone would need to have a USAW card ($30.00).  I just don't want to force a wrestler to buy a 30 dollar card if he normally wouldn't.

Thanks

Tyson Skinner

How did we handle the middle school All star teams in the past?

Or the Junior olympic teams in the past? 

I truly don't think that there will be a problem coaching the team.  As long as they are not all from one school and that schools head coach is in charge.

We in Nky have contemplated an event like this with the Cincinnati teams, and SE Indiana, but nothing has ever come about.  (I think it is a whole lot of talk but no follow through).

It looks like Ind. has their issues worked out.  If a coach or two in Lou. can take the bull by the horns and run with it, this event could happen.  Maybe this can lead to other match ups.  (WKy vs E Missouri)  (SKy vs Tenn) (EKy vs WV) (Nky vs S Ohio).  This could be a series of events.

:-o Oh wow now I have my head spinning.  :-o

Keep spinning!  That sounds like a great idea.  I would love to see the N Ky vs S Oh matchup.  We would probably get our tails handed to us, but it would give a few guys a chance to really shine.

What we would probably need to do is have two coaches correct?  The rule just states that you cannot coach your own wrestlers in the off season.  If there were two coaches, then technically, if one coach has a kid on the team, he would have to be coached by a different coach from a different school.  Am I correct in this interpretation?  I am in South East Kentucky, so it wouldnt apply to us since you are only looking for northern Kentucky, but if this got off the ground, we could make one with all the border states if possible:

SE KY vs W. VA

S KY vs Tenn

W KY vs Missouri

N KY vs Indiana and or Illinois

From my understanding of the rule, we could do this if we had two head coaches, therefore, for example, I could could the McCreary County Kids in our area and the McCreary County Coach could coach the Oneida Baptist kids (just using two schools in the same area to give an example).  What does everyone think?

this is the best idea ive heard in a long time it helps the kids on both sides and in time could prove to be quite a rival classic i like your idea about taking the jeff tournament of champions and if the champs dont want to participate go to the runners up we wrestle usa in indiana every summer the quality can help kentucky wrestles in this area tremendously dont give up coach and just to let you know you have alot of people on this side of the bridge very interested we will do what we can from over here