Sign in to follow this  
crazyotto

Instant replay

I was watching Nebraska v Michigan dual last Fri nite. Nebraska contested a call and the referee went to the table to watch a video. The original call was upheld. I thought the call was good too, not that I was asked! I don't see a need for replay in wrestling at the collegiate level. I thought this slowed down the match. It seemed to take the air out of this one match. The fact that the ref who made the call is the only one to watch the replay was perplexing. Doubtful that a ref would overturn his own call. I hope to see stats at year's end on the percentage of calls that get overturned. My bet is 10% or less. Not worth the trouble.

I think there is a need for replay in wrestling at the collegiate level due to the fact that some things can happen so fast and they might need to be reviewed in order to have the correct scoring. For example, if the ref doesn't know that time is out in a period and calls an escape or takedown 5 seconds after time not realizing that the period is ended. I know I didn't give the greatest example but there are other situations such as the Dake and Taylor match where the ref made a good call on the reversal in which replay could/should be used. Hell even in high school at times, replay could be very handed; I know I could of used it for a match that I loss when the scoring table was confused because of so many points being thrown up quickly by the ref.

Hawk_Eye,

I finally saw a situation that gave replay some creedence. During a scramble in the Penn St v Wisco match time expired. Ref said no td as bottom wrestler still had control of ankle. It was close, and even though the original call was upheld I am glad they went to the replay screen. Now, this happened at the end of a period so the flow of the match was not entirely disrupted. But, maybe I am warming up to the idea!

Haha, I can definitely understand your view point on the matter of instant replay Otto. I remember seeing or hearing multiple times at the NCAA's, where matches would have protests filed for them right after the match for a call or other things of that matter to be reviewed.