Sign in to follow this  
Evolution

Cooper- Myers Battle !!!!

Turner has steadily improved all year , his match was very close at first but he seemed to take over as it went on he is an excellent rider as is Mathews !!!

Chamberle DID NOT WRESTLE , saw him on the stands but he didn'twrestle anyone , they said he had Strep throat or something , Mathews , match was awkward , a whole lot of stalling by his opponent on bottom that never got called , he balled up and refused to open up at all ,

Sk did not look as they usually do , with Chamberle out and CC winning all the close matches it was a blowout of epic proportions ,

It honestly felt like it was all Pre game warm up before the final match with a few highlights here and there ,Turner looked great Fausz as well , Parrot is good but seems to have excellent skill and knowledge yet does some things very wrong .Mueller got

In a scramble with a heavy and got the short end of the stick a d ended up beneath 285 lbs of CC hvy that is improving as the yr goes on ,

He needs to wrestle ATM more and more , he's a good kid and could

End up a st champ if he picks up a few things and keeps training ,

As for the JV matches , I do not see how kids win jr high state and cannot shoot its frustrating watching them I want to scream its very annoying , how the heck can you be in CC room and not be able to take any sort of shot , you see the skill and ability but it just never happens ,

If I were a coach it would change in one week , same goes for those gassing , it wouldn't happen . Just saying close to being great but a few easily fixed flaws on CC team

Saw the head coach at Prodigy start the yr with shots for an hour straight the first week of one yr , everyone was an offensive machine that yr and to this day they all

Shoot from lightest to heaviest .

Just remembering after the last match , Stephen and Kevin both were totally wiped out you could tell they actually were in a battle . Great match one everyone wanted to see yet one they both deserved to win , and I think their hearts were not into this match I know they both want to win , both respect each others abilities and It's a big match and all but they are actually friends , both good kids and very skilled wrestlers who gave everyone what they wanted .

Still something didn't seem right about it all . Their match being last , all the hype , and schools coaches and kids there watching that we're actually supposed to be in the duals to begin with , sort of a sideshow feel rather than a real match ,funny hearing critiques , and actually knowing that the two kids on the mat probably know more about wrestling and can willl and have done more in The sport than any two kids who have ever wrestled each other ever in the state and most watching And commenting could not come

Close to doing what these guys have ,

Just funny knowing a little about them

Seeing them since they were little guys and what they have put into the sport and watching people critique analyze and pick over them is sort of weird , perhaps I'm

Looking into it to deep or I'm

To close but it kind of pisses you off ,

• Upvote 1

Well, I for one wasn't about to miss it. My son and I missed a trip to Columbus just to see it. The match itself was phenominal. From a technical standpoint alone it was so much fun to watch. But what I was most impressed with was the sportsmanship they both displayed after the match. You could tell they both have the upmost respect for each other. They way Stephen extended his hand to help Kevin up after the match...It gave me chills. I was telling everyone it was going to be tough for me because someone was going to walk away with a loss.

Now that we've got that over with. Best of luck to the both of them for the rest of the season...thet won't need it. I will enjoy watching them put an explaination point on their all ready stellar high school career. They're both the whole package. What I hope for my son to become.

Just remembering after the last match , Stephen and Kevin both were totally wiped out you could tell they actually were in a battle . Great match one everyone wanted to see yet one they both deserved to win , and I think their hearts were not into this match I know they both want to win , both respect each others abilities and It's a big match and all but they are actually friends , both good kids and very skilled wrestlers who gave everyone what they wanted .

Still something didn't seem right about it all . Their match being last , all the hype , and schools coaches and kids there watching that we're actually supposed to be in the duals to begin with , sort of a sideshow feel rather than a real match ,funny hearing critiques , and actually knowing that the two kids on the mat probably know more about wrestling and can willl and have done more in The sport than any two kids who have ever wrestled each other ever in the state and most watching And commenting could not come

Close to doing what these guys have ,

Just funny knowing a little about them

Seeing them since they were little guys and what they have put into the sport and watching people critique analyze and pick over them is sort of weird , perhaps I'm

Looking into it to deep or I'm

To close but it kind of pisses you off ,

There's always going to be couch quarterbacks lol..I wouldn't take it personally.. I mean I can yell at Aaron Rogers but sures the heck doesn't mean I can play like him :P ......As for the slideby move wow hope my nephew can perfect that before his senior year next year or for that matter even learn what it means... perfection at its finest...

Have to sy it again. Those 2 young men are awesome. Do they both stay at 52 or will 1 of them move? It was like watching a NCAA final!!! Feeling eachother out great defense. One take down wins it. Again awesome job by both. Can't lie I was wanting Cooper to win but what a great match buy 2 outstanding young men

Mpire - Congrats to Stephen on a big win. You should be proud to have such a respectful son and to show the sportsmanship that he did. That is awesome to watch. As far as a side show....you should be ecstatic to know that people rearranged their lives to come watch the show. You know, the ref's have to pick from a random draw kit to figure out what weight to start at. I guess it just fell the way it did. ;) Either way, it was great to have them go last and have the all the people in the building stay until the end. That was perfect in my mind and I'm sure in the back of your mind....you thought the same thing. JMO.

Great match last night by two great wrestlers. I for one would not care to see a rematch, my reason being that it would probably come in the postseason. That would mean one of these fine wrestlers will be out of a state title. Either one can win 152 ot 160, so hopefully for nky's sake they split and bring two titles home. I for one would like to see Kevin bump to 160. But if they do wrestle, a rematch I am sure would be just as exciting as the first. Fine job men

Ok now that I watched the video Im going to make my comments

#1 great match by everyone even santa (tom hardy)

#2 a great lesson to teach young and beginning wrestlers, find a great takedown that works and drill it 100x a day like Stephen probably does with his slide by.

#3 I dont understand why Copper was content wrestling upperbody, seems like Stephen has an advantage there (stronger hips and bigger chest)

#4 Cooper looks small for a 152 but maybe its the video

#5 Hope everone has a great season going forward

Agree with bigedcoach. Great match between two evenly matched wrestlers. Myers slide by is a thing of beauty. I don't think Cooper saw it coming. Myers leg defense at end of 2nd was great. Cooper was in deeeeeeep and could not finish. Myers definitely stalling in 3rd, did he ever take a step forward? Cooper pushing the action looking for td and stall call. I think the ref did a nice job, could have given the stall warning sooner but I think he did a nice job. Two good wrestlers can make life easy or miserable. These guys made it easy, very clean match with no crazy scrambles. A wrestling fan can only hope for a re-match. My bet is that one of these guys goes 60 (the winner of this match gets choice, ha!) so they both have clear path to state finals.

They will not be the same weight at state !!!

And yeah random

Draw , wink wink right !!!!!!! Kevin is a bit shorter and thick and powerful Stephen a bit taller with maybe some reach , although Stephen is stronger than he looks he was smart not letting Cooper get inside where he is very good , I wouldnt say Cooper is small for 152 but maybe it's me , but i think both could make 145 if they wanted , Stephen did not go all out on his shots a good pick attempt and a half hearted shot or two and a trip attempt ,.smart throw attempt in the third with Cooper pressing and at the edge of the mat , a lot more in both of their arsenals than what was shown a lot of respect and intelligence by both not trying the flash and hitting basics .

I think Stephen is better suited than Kevin for 160 but it's just my opinion Stephen is a small 160 but has a bit of height and reach , Kevin is powerful and likes ties and has a style that would let him rack up points on bigger 160s , it doesn't really matter , Both can win at any of 4 weights if they wanted , maybe more but I didn't say that , they might actually in all honesty beat everyone up to ATM and they have both beaten Him , Before :)

Now my opinion is off the videos from last year (nat duals) and this match, Stephen looks like he has been able to get some food away from Austin at the dinner table (not fat) He just looks big. weight class for both isnt an issue. They both could probably win from 145 - 170 easy Nationally they probably are both 45's Like you said Mpire when you have 2 great wrestlers the one with the best basics wins and usually the one who wins the first and last takedowns

I went to practice today and everyone was did u see this, did u see that? What if this, what if that? Everyone was excited that it had happend, including myself. I first off want to say thank you to Steph and Kevin. You guys didn't have to do that match, you chose to. Very admirable of both of you. I've heard people say this and that about the match, but for what its worth, I thought it was great. Super slick slide by by Steph, thought Kevin was gonna score at the end of the 2nd. The 3rd was fireworks! Very enjoyable to see a 6 minute hard fought match. All I could think to myself is, "I want my kids to work like this when they are live wrestling". I guarantee if your kids can work and keep that pace for 6 minutes, they will be animals. I seriously doubt that Kevin or Steph even log on here, but if they do, I want to say thanks again. You guys are great and I wish you all the best at the next level. I'll be keeping up and rooting for you.

Yeah Steff is hard to score on a bit lasy now and then a bad HS habit but he scrambles his but off and has good balance , wish everyone could see the match or at least part of it with French , his leg extended up to frenchs head and still he hopped all over and never gave up a takedown , I am sure everyone at the rumble thought it was crazy , I can honestly say he hasn't given up an honest takedown all year :)/> When it counted

And no they didn't have to wrestle the match they could have went other weights and kept their records secure , fortunate for Steph he won ,"Kevin has already Signed "and I am sure he will do well at Chatanooga , funny I was talking about that school a day or two before they announced Kevin was going there our friend Matt Koz wrestled there and he was a beast and is a fierce coach totally brutal ,

As for training younger guys just build good habits and find a decent partner to drill extra with , it makes the difference , because you never know when they will build bad habits and what may save their butts one day .

And if a HS coach says you can't beat a good kid with a simple move as Stephens did his fresh yr argue the point , Stephen beat Dance with a slide bye and a scored a lot more a few weeks later , he usually shoots for scores though , different against Kevin and Marrinelli ,

I used to watch Kevin he always had a fierce standing Russian two on one he hammers people with it , he has a good shot now as well he is a complete wrestler ,

I guess it was good they had a great match and gave everyone what they wanted ,I had hoped if they wrestled it would have been at GMVA and not SK , I know it made it easier for the KY fans but it was just my preference , guess its good after all it was in Ky where these two good kids are from , best of luck to Kevin and they should be proud it was an exciting match,now it's over and I hope they can get motivated for a big state run and a nice finish on the yr , I think if it were up to them they never would have wrestled each other it was pressured on them , I hope they both win state in a big way each take their 3 titles , and me and old man Cooper get to watch our sons wrestle in college and maybe catch a match or two of Austin's together, he's a nice change from all the little guys who get all the props ,

I would also like to say that he always impressed me coaching his son ,not sure why he is not a coach , but he did a great job with all his boys from what I hear and know as far as Kevin goes ,

I think I have seen Kevin and then Hiero around since second or third grade or so , they all deserve titles ,

Ha, ol man Cooper took over the Twenhofel program for a while when Kevin was in middle school. He had a hell of a team. I've talked with him on a few occasions and he seems to be a real down to earth type guy. Not sure of his wrestling background, but his offspring gets it done!! I won't swear to it, but as far as I know, Kevins brother Brad was probably the most successful collegiate wrestler to come out of Kentucky. As for my younger guys, thanks for the advise Mpire, it will go to good use.

He was always vocal and never hesitated to call out moves , some coaches are so mellow I think kids respond better to coaches who are more active or vocal at least in youth and jr high . Some

Coaches in youth just set back and seem to watch and you can see in their kids faces when they wrestle kids who's coaches are more vocal or active that they think their own coaches are slacking on them .

I have seen some dad coaches that are of the chain yelling all kinds of crap three moves at once and get up get up get up get up ,

At least have a couple of solid moves and an escape and a takedown that you know, your kid knows and you understand , my kids say I do not know anything because I can't do any thing ,or I can't teach a move I cannot do , not sure if they think that or simply do not want me trying to get them to drill but I do know how to make them pick up a rock and do lunges for a half hour or so .

And yeah I would let ol man Cooper coach my little guy any day or my big one . I think he would have fun coaching Austin no telling what it would look like he would have some poor 220s beat to death with snaps Russians and I am

Sure he would have Austin going for his Head Cruncher head and arm it seems like a Cooper type move , I would be worried though I think he would make Austin wrestle hvy ,knowing him college open hvys , I think he made Kevin wrestle up four of six classes when he was a youth ,

Ha, ol man Cooper took over the Twenhofel program for a while when Kevin was in middle school. He had a hell of a team. I've talked with him on a few occasions and he seems to be a real down to earth type guy. Not sure of his wrestling background, but his offspring gets it done!! I won't swear to it, but as far as I know, Kevins brother Brad was probably the most successful collegiate wrestler to come out of Kentucky. As for my younger guys, thanks for the advise Mpire, it will go to good use.

Brad was successful, and very dominating in KY. He was real slick, loved watching him wrestle. He did have a successful collegiate career, three time NAIA All American, but i think the most successful would have to be Kyle Ruschell. four time NCAA div 1 national qualifier, and two time div 1 all american.

and mark cooper is a great guy, great coach and great dad. also someone i would like to model myself after as a "wrestling dad". his kids' and nephews' success is enough said. the coopers are probably the best wrestling family in ky history.

The last part of your post literally had me laughing out loud! Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt what you said at all. I just really understand what your saying as a Dad. All though I wrestled, I feel like my son often thinks ol Dad don't know what he's talking about. If he turns out to be as good as yours, I'll be tickled. I just want him to reach his potential, whatever that may be. I look forward to meeting you Mpire.

For sure even in Ohio everyone has heard of them when people used to bring up Ky they always mentioned them , we always had fun watching practices and talking a little wrestling and everything else .

Yeah me too , I remember making my kids do walk the walls at the gym I always tried to mix in a little wrestling stuff Iin their gym workouts that is when Stephen actually trained , anyway he looked at me and said why should we do them you can't even do them , well I showed him I hit about thirty of them ,

Just kidding I couldn't do one if my life depended on it , but I wanted to well ..... Strangle him ... But instead I said I can't but so an so and so and so can so you better then I showed him a few thing he couldn't do that I could and told him he would

Never ever be able to do them and he won't , it's not his thing and everyone needs to excell and train harder at what they wish to do be or accomplish , I was always to hard on old steph I know but it's funny that slide by everyone keeps tailking about I made him and his brother hit it in their drills for years twice a day , they used to drill before they got on the bus in the morning , I knew I didn t know as much about wrestling as most coaches or even a lot of dads

Who wrestled but the same principles apply to wrestling as they did my sports if I out train you I will beat you and I always had them train extra more and harder , a big advantage having a brother near your sise and age and I tried to learn as they did and Added what I knew in with what we and they learned about wrestling and I always listened to those with more experience than me which was just about everyone . Either way drill over and over and it becomes second nature , and he does have a good slide by him and Austin but its not what he hits , Lol look at it closer