Sign in to follow this  
ILOVEFOOD

New state location idea.

I think a 16-man bracket will make things a lot better for a few reasons. To me, it makes it more special to say you were one of the 16 participants -- not 32 -- to advance to State in your weight class. Thirty-two is too big a number and, like iwin said, sometimes brackets don't have 32 wrestlers.

Why do you guys think the basketball tournaments mean so much to the players? Those tourneys have 16 teams each. Why can't wrestling be like that?

I think the key word there is past.. I like Iwins posts... Just saying with the sport growing like it is with new schools coming aboard each year it's great the way it is...... and I'm not a huge fan of the khsaa sorry to say but in this case they hit it right.... jmho

This is the type of thread I truly enjoy. Everyone is expressing their opinions without any arguments. I can see both sides of it, and could even go either way. I'm just old school and old habits are hard to break.

I think a 16-man bracket will make things a lot better for a few reasons. To me, it makes it more special to say you were one of the 16 participants -- not 32 -- to advance to State in your weight class. Thirty-two is too big a number and, like iwin said, sometimes brackets don't have 32 wrestlers.

Why do you guys think the basketball tournaments mean so much to the players? Those tourneys have 16 teams each. Why can't wrestling be like that?

The thing about basketball is that it is not a growing sport it has and will for a long time be one of the dominant sports in kentucky. I mean come on you are in a state that has MANY national titles on all levels of college basketball. But wrestling on the other hand is still growing and if you take away from the state tournament it will cause a stop in the growth.

32 man bracket is perfect for this state...does keep up participation in the state...it's just the truth. Alltech is awesome venue for State....the DIRTY DUNGEON is one dirty place with LOUSY food !.........Love AllTech......Most states would love to have a venue like that ! I am sure some changes will take place this year to make it one of the best ever......Haven't we gone down this road before ?....Like DejaVu !!!!

Thirdround, you really enjoyed watching the finals from about 10,000 (exaggerated) feet away? Alltech was mostly clean, don't know about the food since ours was catered, but the atmosphere sucked. Frankfort's atmosphere made the State Tournament in my opinion. I know what it felt like under the lights with the crowd on top of me. When I was getting booed, I LOVED IT! It's possible we could make changes that make Alltech more suitable. Changes such as an elevated platform for the finals, seats on the floor for the wrestlers who competed at the tournament. Something that helps make it feel like that there is a crowd there.

The thing that the dungeon had over the all tech was the pre-finals celebration! At the dungeon they seemed to not care as long as nothing big was thrown onto the mats. The all tech tryed to stop most of it such as popping all the balls. Dont get me wrong state is about wrestling but the pre-finals celebration is like no other it is the celebration of all the hard work the wrestlers put into the season and the last big tournament most seniors will ever be in.

and not to mention who wants a state finals with out a spot light?

Let me ask does the host team of regionals keep all door money or does that go to the khsaa or divided among schools. If it goes to the host school how would a sectionla-divisional- state format help the school make more money?

The gate is split between the host and the state. Host keeps concessions. I stand by my belief that a trip to state must be earned. Kids get it. I have witnessed many a kid get excited about qualifying for district. For many, the district meet is the toughest comp they will see all year. For others (St Eds, Graham, Perry, Moeller), winning/finishing high at state is the goal. To boil it down: sectional is like the first round or two of the KY state. District is the next few rounds and state is the qtrs-semis-champs. As for ranked wrestlers getting left behind due to tough district assignments, yes it happens a couple of times every year. Although, if you can't get out of your own district then your probably weren't going to place high at state. Seeding at sectional is done via committee, while district and state seeds are earned via results at prior event i.e. a 2nd at sectionals gets you a 2 seed.

How about a 24 man bracket? Top 3 go to state, #4's are alternates. That would make the 3/4 matches at Regions much more important. #1's get byes in the first round.

Thirdround, you really enjoyed watching the finals from about 10,000 (exaggerated) feet away? Alltech was mostly clean, don't know about the food since ours was catered, but the atmosphere sucked. Frankfort's atmosphere made the State Tournament in my opinion. I know what it felt like under the lights with the crowd on top of me. When I was getting booed, I LOVED IT! It's possible we could make changes that make Alltech more suitable. Changes such as an elevated platform for the finals, seats on the floor for the wrestlers who competed at the tournament. Something that helps make it feel like that there is a crowd there.

If you only knew how much I enjoyed the finals last year....I could have been sitting on hot coals....I was in heaven ! It was one of the absolute best nights of my life !

Lighting would change everything for the Finals this year.....I think if they fix that the elevated platform would not be needed. KHSAA puts on a good show.

Nice points by everyone , as I said the 16 man is exciting when the matches are going and the comp is better but i think it's boring , seeding is a must,the 32 does add more kids more interest and more matches , I like it better than 16 , and I think with seeding the best kids will get the chance to meet later , you also have to like the ideal of an upset or two although they are rare one will change things up and one will happen , kids get caught have awkward matchups and bad days , anything can happen .

And 32 should help fill all tech quicker than 16!!!!

No 24 just doesn't sound right

I guess you could seed the top eight in a 24-man bracket. They'd all get byes in the first round, like someone said. I, too, like that idea, but I doubt it would go over with coaches.

I wasn't a big fan of the 32 man bracket at first, but now that we have it down to a 2 day event it works. Plus I agree that allowing those extra kids the chance to get mat time on the big stage only promotes the sport.

I've been crying about seeding the state tournament for years. I don't see it ever happening. Maybe if there was extra time in between region and state the coaches could pull it off, but at this point I think too many coaches think it would be a pain with lots of fighting. Would love to see it happen and add that much more excitement to the finals when the best of the best are consistently there.

I used to hate the 32-man bracket but have come around on it. While I would prefer the 16-man bracket, it sure does seem like we have more schools wrestling than before. Hard to say how much of that is cause/effect from increasing the bracket size, but something is working.

Anyways, I'm now saving my venom for the small school/big school state dual split.

refresh my memory mpire. in ohio do the state finalists only wrestle the finals on Saturday (just one match on last day of event)?

Here is the schedule. It is a drawn out event, especially for the winning wrestlers. Look at the down time between matches, it is unacceptable imho. Use DI for example: Win 1st round match on Thurs at 6:00, wait until 11:30 Friday to wrestle again. Win that qtr match and wait until 6:30 to wrestle semis. Then wait 24 hours to wrestle in finals. This is due in part to the fact that all three divisions are wrestling simultaneously, even with the staggered schedule. Primarily however, the event is drawn out to increase the gate. A ticket is needed for each session, either through an all session pass $75 or individual sessions at $15. For the fan the event moves along well and the parade of champions gives me chills every year.

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/wr/boys/stsched.htm

Oh geez don't start the seeding thing again.

Don't like the idea don't understand why others do and my mind will never change on this.

Maybe if it was seeded when I wrestled I would have gotten second (big deal) i still would not have won the wt. class and still doesn't change the fact that I lost. losing in the finals or losing in the semi's (which I did 3 times) it really doesn't matter.

I'll give on the 32 man bracket. I don't think I would mind the 32 man bracket if there were still a District/Region/State set up. I don't like just one post season tourny to reach state.

GOO out.

I am a fan of the 32 man bracket. It does keep things interesting and allows for points, points, and more points to be earned either in the championship bracket or the wrestle offs. When I wrestled I placed fourth at regional's but was the only heavy from my region to place at state. I even beat the number one seed from our region to advance. It was exciting, especially for a first year wrestler, and if the guys I help coach get to feel that same excitement I did, then my vote is for it to stay the same.

Goo if you had districts first 32 man bracket wouldn't be needed , I think Regionals are fine and I don't see where districts are needed , I mean why , and where would all the kids come from , simply not enough , although seeding is Definatly a must , excited to see the duals never having seen any state duals ever in any state ,

X and CC will have a war I am guessing , and I am sorry I admire Union greatly and it's studs and coaches but I saw them and I know their three main studs were gone but I don't think they could beat X or CC I may be wrong and it may be a dumb statement that may have already happened or something but I don't see it .

And I know x beat CC by a point or two at the Rumble but CC is totally reorganized as far as wrestlers and their weights it is a different machine all together. It should be good .