Sign in to follow this  
RYP

University of Louisville to add wrestling as member of ACC

Not yet, but we can dream.

Virginia Tech, Maryland, Duke, NC State, North Carolina, and Virginia all have wrestling and the ACC holds a wrestling championship. This time could be critical for the wrestling community to lobby Louisville to add the sport. I believe Louisville competes in all other sports offered by the ACC except mens lacross and wrestling. Why not add the ones that you currently don't offer? Maybe the ACC is lobbying Louisville to add wrestling. I would call Tom Jurich if I thought there was any chance he would take my call.

RYP is right about the timing being good, sure its a long shot but it has to start somewhere.

A little political pull along with a plan to fund might go a long way. Louisville is a State school and there is currently a void among state universities offering the sport of wrestling.

Some good resources for puttling a plan together: KHSAA, KY Wreslting Coaches Association, Ky Middle School Association and KY.USAW

Louisville is spending $85 million a year on athletics, the most of any of the ACC schools, surely they can manage a wreslting team.

House Joint Resolution 203 / Sponsored by Rep. Steven Riggs- Louisville

A RESOLUTION encouraging Kentucky's public colleges and universities to include wrestling programs in their athletic offerings.

WHEREAS, wrestling is an individual as well as a team sport; and

WHEREAS, wrestling requires participants to possess both physical and intellectual skills; and

WHEREAS, wrestling is a relatively inexpensive sport; and

WHEREAS, numerous Kentucky high schools have instituted wrestling programs; and

WHEREAS, the National Collegiate Athletic Association has sanctioned wrestling as an intercollegiate sport;

NOW, THEREFORE,

Be it resolved by the House of Representatives of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:

Section 1. This honorable body expresses its concern over the lack of collegiate wrestling programs within the Commonwealth.

Section 2. This honorable body hereby encourages Kentucky's public colleges and universities to include wrestling programs in their athletic offerings

Download HJR 203:

• Upvote 1

A couple of years ago I saw Tom Jurich at the airport.I wanted to approch him and ask if there was ever any way that Uof L might get a wrestling team.But I didn't because of the confrence they were in.So now the time seems right to ask.I sent Mr.Jurich an e-mail and thought some of you might want too, also. His e-mail address is tom@gocards.com. You never know stranger things have happened.

• Upvote 1

House Joint Resolution 203 / Sponsored by Rep. Steven Riggs- Louisville

A RESOLUTION encouraging Kentucky's public colleges and universities to include wrestling programs in their athletic offerings.

WHEREAS, wrestling is an individual as well as a team sport; and

Download HJR 203:

When was this filed?

Just sent my email. I have sent him a few over the years. Got a response years ago saying they couldn't do it. I think that was even before they were in Big East.

It helps that Pitt was added to the ACC. It doesn't help that Syracuse was added and dropped their wrestling program in 2001. It also doesn't help that one of the current ACC members with wrestling, Maryland, just joined the Big 10. It's a longshot for Louisville to add wrestling, but I hope it happens.

Sorry to butt in but the thread topic needs changed everyone sees it and gets excited then it's like damnit it's a nice subject but it's trying to get it on board and not already on board , good luck with it it would be great and good job drawing everyone in .