Sign in to follow this  
overtimeking

cumberland or campbellsville

which one do you see doing better over the next few years cumberlands tough but (cam) is brought in some young guys that will help them out alot like

jacob murton

jarius murton

eithen henley

bo ersay

derek scott

tyler woods

mike clark

daniel rucker

scott yates

lori lawson

thats just a few they could really be in the topp of the nations ranks in a couple years i will have to say campbellsville

I don't think Campbellsville has the experience to finish above Cumberland. Especially in tournaments, Cumberland has too many all-Americans and 3 that are capable of winning a national championship in Brad Cooper, Returning champion Delrico Choates, and Runner-up Eric Flinchum. That's racking up some serious points in tournaments!

I agree that Cumberlands may have the upper hand next year but I believe Campbellsville is on the right track and only a year or two from being very competitive with them for the "Bluegrass Braggin Rights"

i know cumberland will graduate cooper flincham and delrico then (cam)  will move on top i think if delrico goes 133 i think murton might give him a pretty tough match could be interesting i saw  murton over the summer at camp and he is an animal could be a national champ as a freshmen

I think both programs are great . and cambellsville is on the up and coming. But CUMberland has just as good recruits with a stronger team . I think that CAM  will get to that level in the near future and we will have some great duell  matchups. Also I think jacob has a great chance of winning nationals one day but not over delrico choates or as a freshman

i wouldnt be to sure about that my moneys on murton he is just as good with college guys as he is with others maybe noit as dominate but i think that he can beat him assuming there at the same wieght

Overtimeking, have you seen him wrestle quality collegiate wrestlers that you are basing your opinion on?

I agree.  We all thought Jarius was dominant, but we saw (or read about) what happened when he ran into Mr. Cooper.  Jacob is a great wrestler (one of the best ever in KY) and will compete for a championship before he graduates, but I think he still has some work to do.

the boys told me that little murton wrestled a tough kid from Ohio University and the coach from UTC and some other division I guys at the Campbellsville Camp. He did very well from what I'm told. The UTC coach thought he was better than any of their new recruits that he has wrestled with.

after reading an Ohio forum it looks like MR COOPER, may be dealing with another campbellsville wrestler besides Jairus next year. these ohio people are telling us that zach flake will major decision cooper. my research shows that flake was an ohio state champ, SR. National runner up and junior college National champ. Sounds pretty good, but can he really major cooper? that is hard to believe. If any of this is true campbellsville is sounding tougher and tougher....updated line ups anybody?

Battle of the bluegrass! this is going to be a fun year to watch!

after reading an Ohio forum it looks like MR COOPER, may be dealing with another campbellsville wrestler besides Jairus next year. these ohio people are telling us that zach flake will major decision cooper. my research shows that flake was an ohio state champ, SR. National runner up and junior college National champ. Sounds pretty good, but can he really major cooper? that is hard to believe. If any of this is true campbellsville is sounding tougher and tougher....updated line ups anybody?

Battle of the bluegrass! this is going to be a fun year to watch!

Major Cooper?  I don't think so.

Guest valley152

major him... :lol: :lol:, he wont be able to beat him let alone majore him...and as for litte murton he wont get close to touching delrico choates either.......i put my money on cumberland....

so this ohio kid is no good? are junior college national champions usually not as good as naia runner ups or something. I think flake major decisioned his guy for the juco national title. . flake was a SR. National runner up. How did cooper do at Sr. nationals. i know that was h.s., but how else can we compare the two. any similar opponents or are you just saying cooper is the best and you don't even know anything about this ohio kid.

so this ohio kid is no good? are junior college national champions usually not as good as naia runner ups or something. I think flake major decisioned his guy for the juco national title. . flake was a SR. National runner up. How did cooper do at Sr. nationals. i know that was h.s., but how else can we compare the two. any similar opponents or are you just saying cooper is the best and you don't even know anything about this ohio kid.

I'm just saying that it is a pretty bold statement to say someone is going to major Cooper.  He walked through the tournament until the finals where he lost 3-2.  I'm not saying Cooper will definitely beat this guy, but to dismiss Cooper as having no chance seems crazy.  What did the Flake guy do in '05-'06?

NJCAA Champ last year!

2x placer in OH in High School

Obviously a good wrestler but I think he will need to prove himself at NAIA

Guest valley152

going from high school to college is a big difference and you gotta figure that cooper has the college experience where this kid is just coming out of high school....i still have to put my money on cooper all of the way this year.

Flake is a NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association) Champion from last season. He obviously has alot of talent to win that title. I am not that familiar with the difference in caliber of wrestling from JUCO to NAIA but I am guessing it is a step up for him like someone going from NAIA to DIII to DII to D1. He is moving up from the Junior College ranks (2 yr schools) to NAIA (4 yr schools) meaning older wrestlers and probably wrestlers with higher caliber wrestling experience during their collegiate carreers. He wrestled for Lakota West in High School in Cincinatti. He may have wrestled some of the KY kids in the past. Does anyone know if he and Cooper have met before?

I would think the first thing on his mind is to make the Campbellsville lineup. I heard it will be very competitive for starting spots.

We met hid dad and his younger brother Alex at the Border Wars tournament a few years ago, very nice folks. Alex finished 5th last year in OH at 130 for Lakota West in Cincinatti. A good wrestling family just across the river from N. KY.

Should be fun to keep up with his progress, good luck to him!

It could add to the Cumberland vs Campbellsville matchup this season 

I'm goin' on a little tangent.I won't get in the argument about who would win, but I've seen a couple of times on here comments that junior college wrestling isn't as tough as the other divisions. This is untrue.

Many aa's and national champs were juco products..a good wrestler is a good wrestler despite division.

one ex.- brock lesnar was a juco champ who won an ncaa title. many others.

I wouldnt give up on the idea of Delricho going to 133 and losing to Jake,Del is a quality wrestler and one of the best underdogs I've seen in a while,reminder the 125 national champion coming up to 133 isnt even a state champion,but a state placer 3 or 4x's in Florida,the one he beat in the finals was a state champion,not 2 take anything away from Jake,Only freshmen I have seen so far come straight into college and dominate is Cael,and the Schlatters and maybe others in the D-1 level,Jake will definetly All American if not better,but he will have to learn on the college level as well,Just like Jairus is doing right now,and just like another CU wrestler at 174 is the coolest guy around david clemens

Cooper will not lose in the finals to someone out of the JUCO level unless that guy is really experienced but with some work with those JUCO champions who knows what will turn out,But I dont see Cooper or Del losing to anyone at a freshmen level or anything else

Guest BigE

103 martin over Carr

112 Parks over Sullivan

119 Chiu over Ervin

125 ???

130 warner over veach

135 Peace over Howard

140 Ashbrook over Jackson

145 courtney over banks

152 cooper over Wheeler

160 wolsifer over Barnhill

171 Rupp over Baker

189 Starks over Jones

215 Dockery over Watson

285 Byrd over Young

Flake is a NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association) Champion from last season. He obviously has alot of talent to win that title. I am not that familiar with the difference in caliber of wrestling from JUCO to NAIA but I am guessing it is a step up for him like someone going from NAIA to DIII to DII to D1. He is moving up from the Junior College ranks (2 yr schools) to NAIA (4 yr schools) meaning older wrestlers and probably wrestlers with higher caliber wrestling experience during their collegiate carreers. He wrestled for Lakota West in High School in Cincinatti. He may have wrestled some of the KY kids in the past. Does anyone know if he and Cooper have met before?

I would think the first thing on his mind is to make the Campbellsville lineup. I heard it will be very competitive for starting spots.

We met hid dad and his younger brother Alex at the Border Wars tournament a few years ago, very nice folks. Alex finished 5th last year in OH at 130 for Lakota West in Cincinatti. A good wrestling family just across the river from N. KY.

Should be fun to keep up with his progress, good luck to him!

It could add to the Cumberland vs Campbellsville matchup this season 

Good point but reminder that Rulon Gardner was a JUCO champion,he may have not won a Division 1 title BUT made all american but he did go on 2 win a Olympic Gold Medal...so my point is a JUCO transfer can be just as good as a D-1 transfer it all goes back 2 how much you want it

Noone is saying Juco wrestlers cant win it all at another level. But overall, the different levels or divisions get more difficult up to the D1 level.

Its an interesting topic in itself, how many wrestlers have moved up from a lower division to win D1 titles?

We do know NCAA I is the best......after that you can't say the pecking order is NCAA II then NCAA III then NAIA etc....and from what I am reading you can't put JUCO behind all those groups. JUCO's are only 2 year schools so they can't be grouped with the others.

It looks like most Junior college national champions or All-Amercian transfer to Division I or II schools and the ones that do go NAIA usually do very well. some results from last years NAIA National tournament on intermat and the Naia website suggest that to win a NAIA national title you increase your chances by landing one of the top JUCO national champs or all americans. here is what I am reading:

Last years NAIA national tournment results from the naia website:

Burk Barnes 3rd place at 125........former Junior college all american

Jimmy Rollins National Champ at 133.......former Junior College All- american

Mark Dickman National Champ at 149......former Junior college all american

Mike Rio National Champ at 157 former Junior College National champ

Tyson Springer National runner up at 165 former Junior college all american

willie parks national champ 184 former junior college national champ

Team National Champion DANA College had A LOT of junior college transfers listed on there website. DANA college, Lindenwood and others beat several division I, II and III teams and wrestlers. Cumberland and Campbellsville have been beating lots of NCAA II and III schools also.

based on what I am finding out.........the people on this board don't know anything about Junior college wrestling and how good they are.

it looks like at least half of all the NAIA National Champions came from the junior college level........that is amazing and that tells me that CU and UOC better start trying to recruit those boys if they want to bring the national title to kentucky!

I am pulling for cooper because he is a ky boy, but the ohio people say Flake has always been better than cooper and he is still better than cooper. I guess we will see.