Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2012/2013 - November 22

Thats what I was wondering. I think it's completely inappropriate for the coaches to allow this. I have no problem with an open practice but when a kid is challenging for a position the parents have no business in the room. That is between the kids and the coaching staff. I just didn't want to be upset about something if it was common practice throughout the state. I feel that at some point the kids have to stand on their own two feet and earn their spot without daddy in the room. If my son were being challenged for his position there is no way I would feel right about being in the room, that is his time to earn it. These kids work hard and having someone's dad on the sideline during wrestle offs can be intimidating. I think it's just an obstacle they shouldn't have to deal with at that time.

Is this your first year of wrestling? I have seen this over the years from some different teams. I have also seen coaches clear out even the wrestlers during wrestle offs. I don't think there is much of a advantage if dad's are present, unless one is holding a billy club.

Unless that parent is the coach or an assistant, why would they be in the room?

Here's the gazillion dollar question. , if a kid is intimidated by a dad in the room how Is he going to stand on his own two feet , as long as dad isn't coaching what would be the big deal "but it always is " NOW what if a coach is DAD that's a hundred times more intimidating to a kid even if dad coach isn't in the room the kid wrestling a coaches son knows everyone is wanting dad coaches kid to win and he worries about repercussions should he win , Seen it over and over , you answered a lot more than one question with your answer!!!!!

There are more than one reasons for closing rooms and the reasons are negative as well as positive , no reason to hide anything above water .

When my boys wrestled my work schedule afforded a lot of time off in the winter. I routinely cruised on over to watch practice. I never got in the way, never said a word. It was not my room. I did witness a number of wrestle offs, some of my sons included. I was never asked to leave, and in these instances when my kid was on the mat I steered clear of the area. I have no problem with a parent being in the room as long as he/she is not a distraction. I coached ice hockey for many years. At the beginning of each season I had a mandatory meeting with all the parents. I let them know my door was always open. I asked for input. However, I made it clear that I was the coach. I have a resume of success. I made it clear that if you want to criticize you better be ready to lace 'em up, hit the ice, and lend a hand. If you've never skated or played the game then.......well then you better think things through before cracking on me.

• Upvote 2

Is this your first year of wrestling? I have seen this over the years from some different teams. I have also seen coaches clear out even the wrestlers during wrestle offs. I don't think there is much of a advantage if dad's are present, unless one is holding a billy club.

I've been around wrestling for several years but have never witnessed this. I don't know if its an advantage or not I just see no point for daddy to be in the room during wrestle offs. Daddy can come watch practice and come watch their kid at the meets but at wrestle offs the kids should decide it one on one without daddy in the room.

Nice post and I have seen rooms like that and parents should know not to interfere talk on a break or afterwards , still I have seen coach dads use rooms to their kida sole advantage and people openly say they know they saw wrong being done but simply chose not to make waves ,

Most of the parent out of the room stuff is to keep things under wraps , and many parents know as much about what their kids need as their coaches they have seen them wrestle longer and what works for them and doesn't , yes the room is the coaches but no coach has the time in with some kids as the parents give each their time and if both are smart they will work together , I have seen it done it been through it I know it works a parent needs to know what they Know and who knows more or better a coach also cannot be so arrogant as to think they know it all or that a parent cannot have good input or ideas ,

If you can't work together you hurt the kids ,

Just my thoughts fire away but I am right

Back in my day parents never showed for practices....never even thought about it. I coached Little League for many years....this generation has more parents taking an interest in their kids sports.....For the past 6 years I was in the ROOM....wouldn't miss a minute....This year coaches have closed practices, I don't like it, but- The coach makes the rules ! We live by their wishes ! It's really killing me....real bad ! Especially when it's my son's Senior season !!!! All for a reason....not my plan, somebody bigger than all of us ! Still ripping my guts out.....I wrestled 2nd grade through college....passionate for this sport !

I almost forgot.....I did get to coach him Middle School.....in fact I coached him in Middle School State where he placed 3rd !!!!

And you probably know more about your sons thoughts his reactions and what it takes to get him to work and improve than Anyone else , I feel for you I didn't wrestle but I did coach since day 1 but I have one who does his own thing and knows a lot but not as much as he thinks and I have another who is somewhat the same but knows I have been there every step and knows I know what he does and what he needs to work on to improve , it's not good at all , if parents maintain themselves in the room it should be fine lol and honestly it's the lazy parents who want The interested ones out because they do not want to spend the time They fear their own lack of knowledge and want to depend on the coaches , as I said I never wrestled in school but I felt the sting of parents who were mad about the work that we did together the extra that separates the good from the great ,

There I feel I nailed it

You know what I loved most about his years wrestling so far.....Not the trips to a podium....It's what I see from him in practice. Nobody in that room gives it like he does...he's a damn MACHINE.....I am most proud of his work ethic to be a Champion than anything else....He's got the heart of one. He wins like a Champ and loses like a Champ, something I hope he has learned from me. He picks himself up from the few losses he has had and comes back better each and every time. I am so darn proud of that kid.......He has come so close...so very close.....whether or not he gets it all this year.....to me it doesn't matter. He has nothing to prove to me, he has to prove it to himself....He just never gives up, something I have learned from him....I am blessed !......God, family, school and then wrestling.....I never knew it was in that order, he does ! Win or lose...I love his chances ! He will always win in life from his years of wrestling !

Nice , all a person can do is give it their all and win or lose they answer only to themselves no one else , NO one wins all the time and no one is perfect and some have almost unbeatable advantages so all you can do is go with what you got , and enjoy the ride As best you can ,

And I love it when they are Machines Buzz-saws , Beasts , Norse Gods , on the top of the podium kind Of kids who snatch their baby brothers up on the podium with them

, that kind Of stuff , good to be proud and great to have something to be proud of

. Now get them to take out the trash or the dogs and everything would be great lol

He hasn't got to the top of that podium yet....but he's giving it all he's got to wrestle under the lights on a Saturday in February......I hear you on the trash and dogs deal...too close to home with that one...lol....Good luck in Ohio.....Bring back the hardware !!!!!

Yeah ,theres a bounty on their heads LOL its all good they will give more than they get ,thats all you can ask for,I liked All tech ,i also like being on the floor.got two big ones in Ohio hopefully they represent ,Austin has a monster to deal with and stephen has well everyone its going tobe a wildass ride .Goodluck what about Fargoyou guys inn.

Here's the gazillion dollar question. , if a kid is intimidated by a dad in the room how Is he going to stand on his own two feet , as long as dad isn't coaching what would be the big deal "but it always is " NOW what if a coach is DAD that's a hundred times more intimidating to a kid even if dad coach isn't in the room the kid wrestling a coaches son knows everyone is wanting dad coaches kid to win and he worries about repercussions should he win , Seen it over and over , you answered a lot more than one question with your answer!!!!!

There are more than one reasons for closing rooms and the reasons are negative as well as positive , no reason to hide anything above water .

My head hurts after reading this.

My head hurts after reading this.

Down boy....Josh old buddy....You are a Journalist. He knows what he is talking about buddy and I can understand it. He has been there and done that as I have....and guess what Josh ? I have a Journalism/Broadcast - Marketing degree....Go figure ! Keep up your good work covering wrestling and we can teach you a few inside things about the best sport on the planet ! OK now....everybody group hug !

Not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about. Just that I can barely read his posts without sentence structure and all that jazz.

That's why we love Mpire in here...He gets it going and to top it off he truly is a great guy...Would do anything for you kind of guy and his passion for his sons and wrestling is probably unmatched....That is awesome in my book ! Fantastic results by the way, of the Central Hardin Duals !

Well to make the post you quoted simple .

Wrestling coaches usually have kids in the room and use their position to their advantage . A parent should at least be able to watch a practice to be in a room to not only watch their kida in order to help them but to keep an eye on the funny stuff

Now I guarantee that 75 % and I would bet more of the major teams have or have had a coaches kid go through or be in a program .And some of those rooms are the ones that keep out parents , not that it matters usually no one wants to make waves when they see bs in a room ,

Look at the top teams in your state right now and answer my ? .

Lol no I'm not.a Journalist or an english major. But I have a few articles here and there , and so do some people I have trained,

They also have a few plaques trophys awards and at one time or another a ripped set of abs. Even poor ATM Was shredded at one time .

I'm glad a couple wrestling enthusiasts can decipher my ramblings rants and raves.

And Sam just beat the coaches classic winner at 160who was ranked third in Ohio d1 at 160 and who beat the Ohio d2 ranked kid sat by 1. 7 to 2 ,

Understand that , Stephen weighed in under 154 He has made 152 in a week and knocking out top ranked kids from Ohio for the second time this yr ,

In proper English. Hes wrestling bad and still whipping tale. But the biggest tests are ahead .

And who has the new USA rankings I want to know where ATM landed on the soph fresh rankings and if he made the overalls . ????saw up to 126 that was it

No , Ranger has his hands full, he's makin a list and checking it twice he's gonna find out who's naughty or nice ,

I'm getting Coal ,

Ranger is waiting for this weekend a lot of stuff Pre x mas tourny why put out a ranking then have so much happen over a two week period where everyone's going to come back and say a beat C C beat D by 3 how is D ranked above A , so and so never made weight and D is dropping or bumping anyway .

Have to do a post Pre Xmas , Ranking or just do a Pre then a Pre state ranking , all the holiday fireworks are about to begin , hearts will be Broken new heroes will arise and some will fall .

So does he do a before or after Xmas ranking ??????

okay, got a ton of updates. Santa is delivering them tomorrow night. He promised. I was chatting with Coach McCoy the other day and trackwrestling is a blessing and a curse. We went from little to no results a couple years ago to information overload. I have processed as much as possible and post tomorrow.

I should be able to get a couple iterations prior to state.

I just peeked and saw that Santa has already stopped by my house. Hopefully he stops by Kentuckywrestling.com and drops off some rankings soon! Merry Christmas all.