Sign in to follow this  
Mpire

Schools Adding wrestling

I think it's more likely to see UoL or UK adding women's wrestling. What a turnaround on Title IX issues that would be. It almost killed wrestling, but may end up saving it. We're down to 77 DI schools sponsoring the sport and probably a dozen of those schools are considering dropping it. NAIA and DIII programs are wonderful, but we need to keep the sport string at the DI level too.

I think it's more likely to see UoL or UK adding women's wrestling. What a turnaround on Title IX issues that would be. It almost killed wrestling, but may end up saving it. We're down to 77 DI schools sponsoring the sport and probably a dozen of those schools are considering dropping it. NAIA and DIII programs are wonderful, but we need to keep the sport string at the DI level too.

Division I schools in Kentucky won't consider adding wrestling until there is a serious lobbying effort with political pressure. Until this group gets organized and funded, don't expect any change.

It would be awesome , any new program would be great but adding one in a state that does not have one would be huge ,there would be plenty of ky kids jumping at the chance to wrestle D1 at home.Doubtful for UK possible for Louisville , no sec school has wrestling .

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah , I forgot , and i didnt know they kept it,you think they will keep it , perhaps it could catch on , but more than likely it gets dropped ,

I thought LSU had wrestling way back but I'm not certain ,

I just

Read an article the other day on Missouri wrestling and they have no plans of dropping the program. Will compete their wrestling in another affiliated league and have already been approved by the SEC to do so.

Mizzou will not be dropping their program. Year in and year out, the wrestling team is the most consistently successful program at the school. Alden and Smith have too good of a working relationship with one another. They just hired two time NCAA champ and world and olympic medalist Sammie Henson as the assistant coach. The way it looks right now, they will continue to participate in the Big 12 tournament as their qualifier. Which will put the Big 12 back up to 5 teams with the addition of West Virginia.