Sign in to follow this  
ynss

Weight Class Decisions

Better to wrestle up in the early season and drop down after the holidays or wrestle in the weight class you are and become familiar with your competition?

Get to where you want to be all year. I have never been a fan of dropping a wt. class after christmas. If you can't make it before then don't try afterwards.

It messes with the team chemestry. By dropping you take someones spot and open another for someone else. I always made the wt. class the 1st possible time. Only time you should move up is if the coach asks you to.

• Upvote 1

Wrestling is an individual sport no matter how harsh that sounds, I'm gonna do what's best for me rather than the team, and in many cases making the team stronger

How does wrestling up a wt. class help you out as an individual.

If its so that you wrestle people heavier, then make the lower weight and then wreslte up.

If you actually weigh the higher wt. class half the year then you get use to that weight. You will have to learn how your body works at the lower wt. when you reach it.

Therfore making wt. at the biggining of the season is more benificial to you than not.

Depends on the individual ,maybe the 2 lbs is the breather they need to be comfortable at their new weight ,and staying down is smart in some aspects but DOES without a doubt increase the chance of getting hurt and DOES have a negative effect on the mind ,so do what keeps a kid motivated to train learn and wrestle hard and let see if cutting will give them the advantage they need ,regardless of what anyone says the best kids usually cut and cut hard ,but if they dont want or need to why go through the strain unless they are young and you want them wrestling the more skilled kids that are usually lighter ,then let them blow up in HS and use their skill to their advantage ,.....

I would look at the schedule if it is loaded from day 1 then a coach would want most kids making weight if not then its a different case and yes moving kids around sometimes hurts the team anyway i have seen coaches try to move some kids up and drop others down only to lose both its a gamble and not worth it in my opinion let studs be studs and let the rest move to where they have to unless its a sure thing .