Ranger123

2017 KY All Star Classic

Here is the lineup as of tonight:

MS Freestyle match #1: Spencer Moore (Walton-Verona) v Jonathan Gilbert (Madison Co)

Great matchup of two defending state champs (75 and 70 pounds respectively). Based on the scores these guys put up at the FS state tournament I'm pretty sure this won't be a low scoring bout. 

MS Freestyle match #2: Bryant Beane (Walton-Verona) v Jeffrey Kinley (Madison Co)

Kinley has a state title under his belt, but both have multiple state placements including a very deep 86 lb bracket this past season. Beane got some great experience under his belt as part of the Schoolboy national team this summer.

120: #3 Bradley Miller (Taylor Co) v #6 Ricky Garcia (John Hardin)

A couple state players making a return trip to the All Star Classic. Both of these guys will be challenging for that top spot on the podium at either 120 or 113 if they decide to make the drop.  

126: #1 Tylan Tucker (Woodford Co) v #3 @ 132 Nate Wheeler (St Xavier)

These guys have been on the podium year in and year out as long as I can remember and have been part of Team Ky on numerous occasions. This could be an interesting, strategic battle of two very experienced wrestlers.

126: #3 Brandon Miller (Taylor Co) v #5 Preston Mattingly (Apollo)

A battle of state runner-ups (113 and 106) from last year; both likely moving up in weight a bit. They have some similarities in style; who can do it better. 

132: #1 Ryan Moore (Walton-Verona) v #2 Blake Evans (Pleasure Ridge Park)

Our first 1v2 matchup of the day. State champ from 126 versus the runner-up from 132. True match to see who is #1. 

138: #3 Kaden Darbro (St Xavier) v CJ Cardwell (Woodford Co)

Another state placer from the deep St X roster making his first All Star appearance against "under the radar" Cardwell. For those who didn't see Woodford much last year, Cardwell was a starter at 126 much of the season while Tucker was recovering from surgery and he wrestled very well. He will be prepared here as he had a great 5-2 showing at the tough, tough IHPO event. 

145: #1 Trent Johnson (John Hardin) v #2 @ 138 Chase Yost (Woodford Co)

4-time state placer Johnson comes into the season looking for that elusive state title after coming so close against Sheffer last season. Yost already has a title, but came up a little short in that tough 120 bracket last year. These guys are two of the best positional wrestlers in the state. 

152: #2 Derrick Smallwood (John Hardin) v #3 Noah Duke (Ryle)

Smallwood had a crazy draw at state last year and DNP, but we all know he is tough as nails and can compete with anyone. Duke is just an 8th grader, but showed his talent last year by making the podium at 145. This is a good opportunity to see if he is ready to challenge for a state title before he takes his first HS class. 

182: #1 Chase Blanton (Harrison Co) v #2 Diion Leavell (Christian Co)

Another awesome 1v2 matchup. This one could be action packed early. But I'm pretty sure both these guys are playing football and this could become a 6 minute war of attrition. 

220: #1 Bryan Pratt (Meade Co) v #1 @ 195 David Woods (Calloway Co)

Grand finale!  Battle of defending state champs here. Both guys were semi-surprises at state and get a chance here to show us they are ready to repeat that performance. I expect some fireworks here. 

Ranger, again thank you for putting on this event. Very exciting for our state and our kids. This is a great motivational event also for the younger kids. I know I would have loved to wrestle in the All-Star classic  if they would've had the event when I was in school.  Good luck to all of our athletes who will be competing October 15!  Props to all of you all for accepting this challenge.

Coach Rusty Parks

Thanks coach. The kids make it great. Hopefully we have another great crowd to cheer these guys on. Coaches, wrestlers, parents please get the word out. This event only works if the wrestling community supports it. 

Great event and without delving into politics, it’s a nice Sunday afternoon distraction for some of us!

Why is the event so early?  Oct 14/15 is week 8 of the KHSAA football season. 

It is a kickoff to the season. Not part of the official HS season. Just a fun exhibition event to get us all excited for the upcoming season by watching many of the state's best compete. 

My only prediction

Derrick Smallwood over Noah Duke, Noah will keep it close til the 3rd and gas.  A minor football injury has kept him off the mat for the last two weeks.  He will still be hard to finish on and keep it competitive.  Heck who knows he may even surprise me and win. 

On 9/27/2017 at 8:38 AM, charger said:

Ranger, again thank you for putting on this event. Very exciting for our state and our kids. This is a great motivational event also for the younger kids. I know I would have loved to wrestle in the All-Star classic  if they would've had the event when I was in school.  Good luck to all of our athletes who will be competing October 15!  Props to all of you all for accepting this challenge.

Coach Rusty Parks

Hey Ranger how can i get max powell in at 160 he had to sit all of last year due to transferring policy but he is ready to go call me 502-551-3787 

Thanks 

Coach  Sullivan

A couple slight adjustments due to injury and adding a couple more matches:

126: #2 Colton Lampe (Fern Creek) v #4 Aaron Brossart (Ryle)

138: #6 @ 132 Dillon Burton (Newport) v #8 @ 132 CJ Cardwell (Woodford Co)

152: #5 Keaon Taylor (Doss) v #6 Drevon Jones (Newport)

There will be short meeting at 2:00 for anyone interested. Rusty Parks Sr.  KY FCA Wrestling , will Be putting out details of our Up coming camp in June, at Lindsey Wilson . We are trying to get as many people on board to promote this awesome weekend of God and Wrestling. We have Nate Carr, Jim Gruenwald, Corey Ruff and Company , Invicta Wrestling all on board as our Clinicians and speakers . All details coming Sunday at JH. Come support KY FCA and KY Wrestling.

Double Legs and Jesus!!! Doesn’t get any better!!! 

See you Sunday!

• Upvote 2

Personally want to thank all involved in making it happen!!! Great Event!! It’s like a family reunion, fantastic way to kick off the season!!! So many unbelievable relationships because this awesome sport!! Thanks Jason

• Upvote 1

Such a fun day of wrestling. Definitely excited for the first day of practice tomorrow!! 

Thanks to everyone who helped make this happen! Great crowd, great matches and it was great to see everyone from the around the state! 

• Upvote 1

Just to echo and expand on the words of the last couple of posts, thanks for such a wonderful event. Had a great time. I love seeing everyone as well. A lot of times we only get to see each other once maybe twice a year. Great to see Coach Parks and Coach Carr sitting together enjoying the show! A special thank you to all of those that stepped up and took on the challenge....especially at the last minute.  Can't wait to see what the season has in store!

A couple of the matches I remember

at 220 Woods launched and pinned Pratt and won OW.

I believe it was Nate Wheeling from St. x over Tylan Tucker.

Brossart of Ryle beat Lampe in a wild 13-12 match.

Smallwood over Noah Duke.

Bradley Miller over Rickey Garcia 3-1

Nate Wheeler over Tylan Tucker 4-3

Aaron Brossart over Colton Lampe 13-12

Brandon Miller over Preston Mattingly 4-2

Ryan Moore over Blake Evans Fall

CJ Cardwell over Seth Lutes 18-5

Trent Johnson over Chase Yost 15-5

Derrick Smallwood over Noah Duke 13-4 Noah is still looking for his lunch money.  Derrick looked great.  Guess it's time to start training.

Keaon Taylor over Griffin Dulak 11-5

Chase Blanton over Diion Leavell 4-3

Woods over Pratt Fall

• Upvote 2

Brossart did an amazing job, just needed a little push from the corner. Lol. Noah looked fine. Smallwood is a daggone Hammer! Blanton and Leavell was fun. Glad CJ pulled off the win. Great job by all. Best of luck to everyone this season. 

Thanks for posting the results Chris. After a quick stop for a bite to eat at one of my favorite burger joints WW Cousins I was ready to crawl into bed. 

I think this may have been the best All Star Classic to date. A LOT of exciting matches. Love seeing the kids show up in the preseason and compete. State champs putting it on the line against our state's best. Love the competing spirit. I will be posting some video later. If anyone has any pics please post them. I never even thought about Coach Parks and Carr back in the gym together.  

A couple added notes/thanks.

Great to see kids like Pratt, Leavell, Blanton (and I'm sure others) walk off the football field and not worry about being perfectly prepared, just competing.

Thanks to kids like Seth Lutes and Griffin Dulak agree to compete in about 48 hours notice and wrestling hard and adding to our exciting matches  

Thanks to the middle school guys for agreeing to go out and wrestle freestyle and show some of the big guys and fans how exciting it can be.

Thanks to my wife for not killing me when I run up a couple thousand dollars on the credit card for this event and working the gate all day.  

On 10/16/2017 at 10:36 AM, Ranger123 said:

I think this may have been the best All Star Classic to date. A LOT of exciting matches. Love seeing the kids show up in the preseason and compete. State champs putting it on the line against our state's best. Love the competing spirit. I will be posting some video later. If anyone has any pics please post them. I never even thought about Coach Parks and Carr back in the gym together.  

where will the video be posted