Sign in to follow this  
Old wrestler

Patrick Downey to the Hawkeyes

I know the board is pretty much dead outside of the season, but this is a pretty big transfer. As an Iowa fan, I'm pretty disappointed with the decision to allow Downey in to the program. I understand that kids will make mistakes, but when you're still making boneheaded decisions, you can't be too reformed. I would rather have Holloway be a NQ, than Downey in the championship bout against Moore (Ohio State). I will be rooting for 9 Hawks this year... 

• Upvote 1

I'm a Hawkeyes fan as well and I share your disappointment. However, I would be surprised if he ever actually gets the privilege of wearing the black and gold. He and Brands, or he and Morningstar, or he and someone will butt heads and he will be sent packing. The guy can't seem to keep his mouth closed on twitter and sounds like a punk every time he opens his mouth or types a word. Maybe the coaches can help this kid turn a new leaf, but if it walks like a duck....we'll, you know.

• Upvote 1

Also, don't forget McKenna to TOSU. Big get for the buckeyes. It's crazy that as good as they are, it's still looking like a 2nd place finish. Very excited for this year.

• Upvote 1

Hard to fathom that Ohio State will need a few key breaks to knock off Penn State. Nearly any other year, Ohio State would be the clear front runners. The Suriano saga has been interesting to follow, too. That will play a huge part on the team race, considering Penn State doesn't have any depth at 125. This seems to be the year of the transfer McKenna, Downey, Suriano (maybe). Definitely going to be a great year for wrestling! 

• Upvote 1

Can only imagine the verbal tantrums between Daddy Downey and our favorite Ky dysfunctional father. Downey wins in arguments over whose son is more accomplished while Ky's worst lowers the bar in intellect. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/18/2017 at 11:22 AM, Old wrestler said:

I know the board is pretty much dead outside of the season, but this is a pretty big transfer. As an Iowa fan, I'm pretty disappointed with the decision to allow Downey in to the program. I understand that kids will make mistakes, but when you're still making boneheaded decisions, you can't be too reformed. I would rather have Holloway be a NQ, than Downey in the championship bout against Moore (Ohio State). I will be rooting for 9 Hawks this year... 

Hopefully, he gets it this time. He is now in a room that doesn't put up w/ crapshows. Although I am a Bucks fan, I like to see these kids grow in a positive manner, even Hawkeyes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 8/20/2017 at 11:29 AM, Old wrestler said:

Hard to fathom that Ohio State will need a few key breaks to knock off Penn State. Nearly any other year, Ohio State would be the clear front runners. The Suriano saga has been interesting to follow, too. That will play a huge part on the team race, considering Penn State doesn't have any depth at 125. This seems to be the year of the transfer McKenna, Downey, Suriano (maybe). Definitely going to be a great year for wrestling! 

Tomasello, Bo Jordan, Myles Martin, Kollin Moore, and Snyder have all been champs, or ranked in the top two. I think Tomasello, BoJo, Moore and Snyder will be favored to win  

Dont forget the Buckeyes won the Big Tens last year. Penn State peaked and is really good but it would not surprise me to see TOSU win it all in Cleveland in 2018. 

• Upvote 1

It will be interesting to see if PSU falls short, if Suriano's points that he scores for the Rutgers would have made the difference. I feel sure that it would be enough to cover the margin. Also I have seen where the Hawks are considering starting Lee at 125. Not sure I would waste his redshirt unless they were looking to unleash a whole new line up. Slide Lugo in at 141, move Wilke down to 174 when Downey gets in the line up. Something like that. I don't see Lee placing higher than 3rd. Tomasello will beat him at Big 10s securing the 1 seed for nationals, then I would bet Suriano would knock him off in quarters or semis at NCAAs. 

Penn State losing Suriano, OSU picking up McKenna does tighten the race up considerably. I also like M. Jordan's move up to 157 and Pletcher's down to 133. I do not like Tomasello at 125.  BoJo is in a fierce weight with Hall and Valencia. I see Penn State having more champions, But OSU having more points from a better all around line up scoring from every weight class. 

• Upvote 1