Sign in to follow this  
crazyotto

"Age cheating"

My concern lies more in screwing with the kids head. They go through Jr Hi and HS as studs and find college wrestling is very difficult. The mental challenge can be too much to overcome. I have no problem holding back kids for social/emotional/educational reasons. Actually, when I see a "holdback" I assume it is for one of these reasons. 

In my case, all our children had March-May birthdays. All went to school at the first opportunity. All were among the youngest in their class. It would have been easy to hold them back. Especially our oldest son who was among the physically smallest in grade school. Our youngest didn't turn 16 'till summer before junior year. 

As far as sports go, it isn't cheating to hold a kid back so long as you follow the guidelines. Though yes, gloating about wins over much younger competition doesn't hold water in most households. 

Anyway, Karelin makes a very good point. 

• Upvote 1

I'm pretty sure you missed the point lionheart. Most kids are 14 as freshman. A 16 year old freshman should be well adjusted, He two years of growth on everyone else his age. That also means he is 19 as senior which is a clear advantage over folks that are only 17. Most men continue grow and develop into their late teens early twenties. 

• Upvote 2

Agree that good is good at any age when talking about full grown men. But when men(19 year olds) are wrestling boys it certainly makes a difference. A good technically sound 15 year old will typically have  an uphill battle against a well developed 19 year old man. If I were in your shoes i certainly don't think I would bring attention to the fact that my kid was a sixteen year old freshman. It does two things, it says to most that he is most likely academically challenged and it diminishes his athletic acheivements by admitting that he older than a lot of his competition. Someone who wins a state title as a freshman when they are 14 is certainly more impressive than a 16 year old doing the same thing as a freshman.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

How about I bring attention to the fact that with less than half a season of matches as a fresh he beat not only a returning SR state champ.from.ky but a nationally ranked state champ from Indiana and became.a nat freshman champ and OW Winner ,KY first and his first of two..

I mean seriously no matches since before xmas show up at reg without being able to train with a team untill the previous week win.reg then become the first 220 ,fr state champ.ever in.the state and be the only freshman on.a podium full of srs ..he and his brother both forced to wrestle up and still ....smoked everyone like they were all first yr wrestlers  and.brought the gold back to CC,Amazing thats all I.can.bring attention too.

Now top that ,cry all you want hate all you.can but it is what it is its across the board in.the sport many top kids hold back and its worse in college many set out for a yr two yrs or even more training and wrestling then.come.in as freshman,you evidently are a boy in a mans world .

Screenshot_2017-03-08-12-04-41.png

• Downvote 3