Sign in to follow this  
hotlava

Bearcat Brawl 12/3/10

16 teams

BARDSTOWN, BOONE CO., BOYLE CO., CHRISTIAN CO., CONNER, COOPER, COVINGTON CATHOLIC, FERN CREEK, HENRY CLAY, LAFAYETTE, MADISON CENTRAL, MCCREARY CENTRAL, NEWPORT, PAUL DUNBAR, WALTON-VERONA, WOODFORD CO.

• Upvote 1

4 POOLS OF 4 

POOL A - Walton-Verona = Cooper = McCreary = Dunbar

POOL B - Christian Co. = Boyle Co. = Covington Catholic = Henry Clay

POOL C - Madison Central = Fern Creek = Newport = Conner

POOL D - Boone Co. = Lafayette = Bardstown = Woodford

Tough day in Walton today.  I don't get up North often, but usually expect great competition when we do.  The Woodford Christian County duel was tense.  Can't say that I agree with the calls, but I don't think the official had much of a choice.  CCHS, I feel for you.  Woodford has to get in control of their coaches and team.

I'm not a fan of his calls, but guess I can understand them.

It's early in the year.  What resulted from that duel is not Kentucky Wrestling.  We are all better than the ugliness that showed from that duel.

It is the second weekend.  Let's all learn, train our wrestlers, and move forward.  

Good luck to all this season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Madison Central and Woodford were both missing top kids yesterday. Would like to see that dual with all the wrestlers. 

Great tournament, I was initially concerned with a 16 team dual on 3 mats.  Walton Verona did an excellent job of running the tournament effeciantly and we were finished much earlier than expected.  C. Huston, R. Moore, M. Anderoni, C. Yost, and T. Deck looked impressive as expected.

Tyler Storck, Christian Shelby, and Hayden Sherroan were solid for Henry Clay.  Despite being a young team of a handful of 1st year wrestlers, they managed a 6th place finish.  Storck went 5-0 with 3 pins, 1 tech, and a forfeit. 

The CC and Woodford duel was intense.  Yes, Woodford is passionate and hard nosed - are you familiar with their history? lol  At the end day, the calls a ref makes may not always be the right ones but it's the responsibility of the coach to accept it and control their team.  When a wrestler returns to the center of the mat attacking a refs call with profanities - it will never end well.  CC has a tough squad and will most likely produce some amazing talent this year. Good luck to everyone this season!!!

• Upvote 1

From what I hear Walton Verona were down some studs as well perhaps it could have been a.       Lot.   Different .

And a schools history of being over dramatic or having intense coaches is no excuse for being over dramatic or over the top or pretty much a whiney .........of a coach .

Being intense being led by genius coaches is one thing Woodford now is another .

Just wanted to THANK all the teams that participated this year. A lot of good matches with some great competition. 

Several teams were missing kids but for the most part everyone looked good. Woodford County has a solid team. They will be a tough team to beat this year, especially in duals.

Madison Central, another strong team with a strong showing.

Overall a great weekend to kick start the season for several teams.

Here are the final placements:

1st Woodford 51 over Madison Central 27

3rd Walton-Verona wins by FF over Christian Co.

5th Cooper 51 over Henry Clay 29

7th Fern Creek 45 over Boone Co. 33

9th Boyle Co. 66 over McCreary Central 24

11th Newport 60 over Bardstown 18

13th Covington Catholic 54 over Conner 27

15th Lafayette 48 over Paul Dunbar 18

Congrats to ALL the teams and I wish everyone a safe and successful season.

Coach Roth

• Upvote 1