Sign in to follow this  
Chris Duke

Do the numbers support having Districts?

What is the reason for holding Districts?  If we just held a Regional tournament you would see 16 man brackets and maybe a couple 32 man brackets with a lot of holes. We need to open up our season for one more week and let these wrestlers get some good out of state competition.

• Upvote 6

District Tournaments •

Each District will host an OPEN Tournament for all member schools to qualify for Region.

• The top 4 place winners in each weight class qualify for Regional.

• Districts will determine a fair method for site rotation.

• There is no limit on the number of wrestlers entered per team for any given weight class.

• Entry fee is $16 per wrestler with no maximum entry per team.

• A wrestler may only wrestle in one weight class.

Individual brackets per weight class will be constructed using the following guidelines:
Bracket Type Place Scoring

1-4 Wrestlers = 4-man bracket

5-8 Wrestlers = 8-man bracket

9-16 Wrestlers = 16-man bracket

1 st-16pts / 2nd-12pts / 3rd-9pts / 4th-7pts 5 th-5pts / 6th-3pts

• Pay $450 host fee: Checks payable to KSWA

Looks like this is the answer.  Its a money grab!! I know our 152 last year didn't even get a match at Districts a total waste of time.

are you talking about youth or middle school.  Sorry kind of out of the loop on this one.

I know years ago middle school only had region and some kids had to flip to see who placed 3rd and 5th. 

12 minutes ago, grappler-of-old said:

are you talking about youth or middle school.  Sorry kind of out of the loop on this one.

I know years ago middle school only had region and some kids had to flip to see who placed 3rd and 5th. 

Middle School

Mr. Duke, While that may be the case in your region, I know that's not the case in many of the districts around the state and that at least many of the brackets in District 1 were full 16 or larger brackets. As we grow the area programs the brackets get fuller. If we go to just regions then would have some brackets at the 32 man level. Middle school is about growing wrestling around the state, not limiting young wrestlers opportunities. That comes at the high school level. Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, naplesme said:

Mr. Duke, While that may be the case in your region, I know that's not the case in many of the districts around the state and that at least many of the brackets in District 1 were full 16 or larger brackets. As we grow the area programs the brackets get fuller. If we go to just regions then would have some brackets at the 32 man level. Middle school is about growing wrestling around the state, not limiting young wrestlers opportunities. That comes at the high school level. Just my 2 cents.

I like Naplesme attitude. It's about growing the middle school. We seem to keep missing opportunities to do this though. I like the Districts as well. We should be filling these brackets up with kids. and since we have coaches out there that vote against these items, our growth is slow!

14 hours ago, Chris Duke said:

District Tournaments •

Each District will host an OPEN Tournament for all member schools to qualify for Region.

• The top 4 place winners in each weight class qualify for Regional.

• Districts will determine a fair method for site rotation.

• There is no limit on the number of wrestlers entered per team for any given weight class.

• Entry fee is $16 per wrestler with no maximum entry per team.

• A wrestler may only wrestle in one weight class.

Individual brackets per weight class will be constructed using the following guidelines:
Bracket Type Place Scoring

1-4 Wrestlers = 4-man bracket

5-8 Wrestlers = 8-man bracket

9-16 Wrestlers = 16-man bracket

1 st-16pts / 2nd-12pts / 3rd-9pts / 4th-7pts 5 th-5pts / 6th-3pts

• Pay $450 host fee: Checks payable to KSWA

Looks like this is the answer.  Its a money grab!! I know our 152 last year didn't even get a match at Districts a total waste of time.

I don't think anyone is getting rich off districts, KSWA included.  They make $3200 off host fees, most of which is used to pay for awards/trophies. The host team keeps the per wrestler entry fee, which works out to $1600 for a 100 wrestler tourney...some districts will have more, some less.  I agree, some districts are small and a district tourney in a really small district is not fun.   But some districts do have enough to run a decent tourney.  And your district tourney (district 5) should be better attended with Cooper returning and the addition of R.A. Jones' team.  We are seeing growth.  I think it's too early to talk about killing districts at this point.