FalconWrestling

Region 1 Pre-season Rankings

No planning needed for tomorrow so I was able to get these done. They should provide a bit of a snapshot of what we're looking at with actual practices starting in only a little over three weeks. As always a lot of weights will be wrong, little information is known regarding who will end up where, kids who aren't even wrestling will be on here, really good kids who have been hiding in the shadows won't be on here, and sometimes I even just completely miss a kid. A couple schools have yet to send me any info, you know who you are, so hopefully any corrections coming from post-ranking info will be done by Monday.

1. Zeke Escalera, Union County

2. Daniel Knight, Christian County

3. Keegan Slone, Trigg County

4. Keaton Elliot, Calloway County

5. Jack Probus, Ohio County

6. Christian Maines, Fort Campbell

You know considering I helped coach him with Team Kentucky you'd think I would know what name he goes by these days, is it Zeke? Gavin? Charles? By any means Escalera is a superstar in the making and the heavy favorite at 106. A weight he may actually weigh this year. Behind him is a pack led by veteran Daniel Knight who is sitting at 2nd in the state himself. The weight looks to mainly be a battle between those two.

1. Austin Grant-Hall, Christian County

2. Trevor Poague, Union County

3. Billy Eggers, Fort Campbell

4. Ethan Furtrell, Trigg County

5. Max Dubois, Hoptown

6. Christian Grant, Ohio County

Like Escalera, Grant-Hall is another young budding superstar who turned heads in their first year of eligibility. An outside shot at a state title leaves Grant-Hall the heavy favorite in the region. However, Poague is a very tough wrestler and you should never short someone coming out of the Union room. Eggers has been someone who has been right at the cusp of being a successful wrestler, this may be the year he turns the corner.

1. Cameron Dearmond, Hoptown

2. Ethan Wells, UHA

3. Isaac Aguier, Trigg County

4. Jakerion Merrit, Christian County

5. Billy Pride, Union County

6. Andrew Syester, Fort Campbell

On paper this weight is interesting off the bat as it has no clear cut favorite. Dearmond gets the nod here based off of his higher finish at last year's regional tournament. But Wells, Aguier, Merrit, and Pride all have good shots at the region title.

1. Saul Ervin, Union County

2. Nick Dickerson, Calloway County

3. Ray Hamilton, Paducah Tilghman

4. Seth Slayton, Caldwell County

5. Ishmael Griffie, Christian County

6. Jordan Snyder, Trigg County

Saul should be a scary sight to see coming off of a 2nd place finish. A little bit of fire in an already premier level talent should give most wrestlers in the country pause let alone the state of Kentucky. Ervin, Dickerson, and Hamilton all have big question marks over where their final weight will be. Saul may move up, Dickerson and Hamilton may move down.

1. Rylan Ervin, Union County

2. Kaleb O’Campo, Caldwell County

3. Hudson Zwyg, Trigg County

4. Shane Grey, Ohio County

5. Jacob Vickery, McCracken County

6. Neal Aldridge, Christian County

As of right now this weight seems to be fairly sparse and the few solid picks I have here are question marks for weight. Hopefully this weight gets cleared up with some early information. 

1. Bryce Sheffer, Union County

2. Louie Regaldo, Fort Campbell

3. Devontae Turner, Trigg County

4. Zlato Skuljan, Hoptown

5. Hunter Vlach, McCracken County

6. Joe Fernandez, Christian County

Sheffer is looking to crown off his career with another state title, Regaldo is seeking to get back on the podium after a two year absence. Both will be dangerous opponents for anyone they come across as the two veterans of the region seek the proper finish to their respective careers. Turner leads the rest of a contingent of tough wrestlers but as always weight question marks abound.

1. Micah Ervin, Union County

2. Colin Stevens, Trigg County

3. Alex Curl, Fort Campbell

4. Jacob Bellah, Calloway County

5. Tyler Thomas, Hoptown

6. Klemmer Nicodemus, Ohio County

In a running theme for the region this weight appears to hold some of the region's top upcoming talent in Ervin, Stevens, and Curl assuming all three end up at this weight. As always weight is a question mark but no matter where they are these three are future top contenders in the middle weights of the region. Bellah is a talented veteran who holds a decent shot at the state tournament this season. 

1. Chance Oxford, Union County

2. Ethan Tomerlin, Fort Campbell

3. Dylan Martin, McCracken County

4. Antonio Abren, Christian County

5. Jacob Kramer, Calloway County

6. London Warren, Paducah Tilghman

After years of having it allude him, Chance Oxford goes for the state podium one last time. If Bindner hadn't been wrestling like a man possessed at the state tournament than Oxford would already have that state medal. Tomerlin is a very talented and very young wrestler who seeks to bounce back from a somewhat disappointing finish to his first high school season. Martin potentially leads a couple of tough wrestlers in Abren and Kramer

1. Diion Leavell, Christian County

2. Corbin Ryder, Fort Campbell

3. Jack Haynes, Calloway County

4. Kestin McClain, McCracken County

5. Caleb Riley, Caldwell County

6. Malik Cunningham, Trigg County

A huge question mark here is Ryder's health. A healthy Ryder could potentially upend Leavell and take the region. All of the top three guys here are podium threats just with minor question marks over them such as health and weight. The remainder fighting for 4th should not be ignored by any means. 

1. Dylan Grey, Caldwell County

2. Avery Buckman, Union County

3. Niko Bussell, Christian County

4. Johnathon Bowling, McCracken County

5. Bryan Grant, Ohio County

6. Bailey Conley, Fort Campbell

The top three here are among the Region's best. Proven veterans in Grey and Buckman alongside upcoming star wrestler Niko Bussell. Outside of the top three are tough wrestlers but currently I am unsure if they pack statewide punch.

1. David Woods, Calloway County

2. Matthias Ervin, Union County

3. Katayvon Anthony, Hoptown

4. Colton Stoner, Trigg County

5. Daniel Moll, Caldwell County

6. Evan Martin, McCracken County

Woods and Ervin set up a potentially very interesting battle for the top of the 182 spot. Anthony is more than good enough to play spoiler to either of the two's region finals hopes. Stoner, Moll, and Martin are all three very dangerous wrestlers who could slip into the fourth spot and be a tough matchup. 

1. Jackson Fitzgerald, Paducah Tilghman

2. Kjawuan Majors, Christian County

3. Josh Efinger, Calloway County

4. Payton Ervin, Union County

5. Mark Diaz, Trigg County

6. Joey Mickley, Fort Campbell

As is the nature of this weight there are a lot of questions about 195. Right now Fitzgerald, Majors, and Efinger are a solid top three but there is a chance someone else may slide into the weight class and shake up the qualifying spots. If the current meat grinder at 220 is any indicator expect those who can to be keeping their eyes at other weights if possible.

1. Chance Orr, Paducah Tilghman

2. Colby Culver, Calloway County

3. Ross Hicks, Union County

4. Tige Littlefield, Caldwell County

5. Logan Deasal, McCracken County

6. Jake Miller, Hoptown

From top to bottom this may be the toughest weight in the region. Orr and Culver are state final threats and both hold respectable shots at upsetting Brandon Reed. Hicks is also eyeing a high podium finish, either here or perhaps at a lower weight. Littlefield has been competing for a long time and this is a year even he could find himself on the podium. Logan is one of the better young upper weights in the state and played spoiler at regionals last year, with that first year under his belt and moving into high school he definitely has the talent to turn heads. Miller is a tough wrestler currently stuck at a tough weight.

1. David Nikolao, Fort Campbell

2. Gavynn Davis, McCracken County

3. Payton Snyder, Union County

4. Deion Lane, Hoptown

5. Zach Langhi, Christian County

6. Xavier Chappell, Paducah Tilghman

A big key here is how Nikolao has recovered from his injury. If he is even close to 100% then he is my pick to win the state title. Size, speed, strength, athleticism... heavyweights with a toolset like Nikolao's are rare. Davis and Snyder can take a few matches at state themselves depending on how they have developed. Lane sits comfortably in that fourth spot as the remaining heavyweight field is still a bit hazy.

Team

1. Union County (44.5)

Union just has too much young and too much proven talent this year, hence they are eyeing another state title. Someone has to remind me because I can't remember off the top of my head the last time Union didn't win the Region One title, I want to guess 2005.

2. Christian County (22)

Out of all the teams over the years that have battled for second behind Union over the past few years none have been more consistent than Christian County. Bolstered by some of the best young talent I'd say the Colonels have ever seen Christian County should feel very confident going into this season with nowhere to go but up.

3. Fort Campbell (20)

A calamitous collection of injuries coupled with an already very young team left Fort Campbell with perhaps the most disappointing finish at the regional tournament for a long time. A healthy Fort Campbell is a formidable state power and hopefully now their youth will start to morph into an experienced group of dangerous veteran wrestlers. 

4. Calloway County (17.5)

While not quite packing as much firepower as they have during their dark horse runs the past two seasons Calloway still has enough tough wrestlers, led by state title threat Colby Culver, to be a serious threat for another run at second in the region.

5. Trigg County (14.5)

Trigg is coming off one of their best seasons since the program's revival. The last face of those first teams has moved on and Trigg now functions purely off of the identity they have built for themselves. The pieces are definitely there for a dark horse tournament run from an already dangerous duals team.

6. Paducah Tilghman (13)

I've always said that Paducah is a full team away from being a regional powerhouse. Yet again Paducah threatens with a state title threat in Chance Orr who is the sort of piece coaches dream of building a team around. Some dedicated recruiting and a full lineup Paducah Tilghman is a scary thought.

7(t). Caldwell County (10.5)

This group of Caldwell wrestlers have been around for a longtime, been competing since 7th graders mostly. A couple individual pieces will seek to elevate the rest of the team to a top 5 regional finish.

7(t). Hoptown (10.5)

The deadly dark horse from only a couple years ago. Hoptown may be in a bit of a rebuilding period but holds a handful of wrestlers right on the cusp of being powers in the region.

9. McCracken County (9)

McCracken appears to be finally turning the corner and hitting its stride as a newer program. Several young and talented upperweights bolster a team that is starting to generate respect in the area.

10(t). Ohio County (3)

Not too long ago Ohio County was one of the most feared teams in the region. The potential is still there, it just needs to be developed. 

10(t). UHA (3)

Sort of a mixture between Ohio County and Paducah. UHA has never lacked the talent, but ever since their last large team in 2009, they've lacked the numbers.

12. Todd County Central (0)

A season under their belt and hopefully Todd County Central will start to see some dividends pay off

Pretty surprised the hiring of McCrackens new head coach hasn't been a topic of convo considering the coaching staff he brought with him along with being the father of a somewhat well known college wrestler named Bo

15 hours ago, tja said:

Pretty surprised the hiring of McCrackens new head coach hasn't been a topic of convo considering the coaching staff he brought with him along with being the father of a somewhat well known college wrestler named Bo

You're absolutely correct. There is no reason that this should be the first I heard that Coach Nickal got hired on at McCracken County

It will be interesting to see how much of an impact he makes in his first year. McCracken itself has the resources to be a top tier wrestling program

He brought in some really good assistant coaches to. They have athletes and good kids on that team if that coaching staff stays there for an extended period of time it will really add depth to region 1 overall.

"a man possessed at the state tourney lol" 

Chance will make a run this year at 152. Never count him out. His length always gave me issues, and he's a fighter. Anyone that over looks chance better watch out, i knew exactly who i had that quarterfinal match the day of the drawings. He's a stud. Best of luck to you chance. Go get it.

6 hours ago, TECHnWIN said:

"a man possessed at the state tourney lol" 

Chance will make a run this year at 152. Never count him out. His length always gave me issues, and he's a fighter. Anyone that over looks chance better watch out, i knew exactly who i had that quarterfinal match the day of the drawings. He's a stud. Best of luck to you chance. Go get it.

Fun fact it was either right after your match with Chance or your one with Nathaniel Lawrence but I looked over to another coach and said "Bindner is wrestling like a state champ today"

Kostecki's upset over Erdman was another factor in Oxford missing the podium. I hope to see Oxford close out his career on the podium.

On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 5:03 PM, FalconWrestling said:

Fun fact it was either right after your match with Chance or your one with Nathaniel Lawrence but I looked over to another coach and said "Bindner is wrestling like a state champ today"

Kostecki's upset over Erdman was another factor in Oxford missing the podium. I hope to see Oxford close out his career on the podium.

I apprieciate that sir. It was my last year and i knew it was going to take that with the great competition that was at 138. All kinds of talent with alot of pressure on me coming back to the finals after the loss to duncan the previous year. I have the utmost respect for the tough competitors that i had to battle along the long journey. I wish the best to all the kids coming back this year. Goingto be tough to beat johnson this year. The kid keeps coming. Made for an interesting semis match. And vasquez say no more. Erdman say no more. Studs. Henley will be tough as well.  Best of luck to all. 

mrwrestling's PhotoFYI ....

2 days agoCoaches and wrestlers, 

The Fall Brawl Tournament at Harpeth is set for this Saturday. If you plan on coming, get me your wrestler's name, weight, and division no later than Friday at noon. There is a middle school and high school division. No cards are necessary. The entry fee is $25. For a brochure email Ricky.woods@ccstn.org.

On 10/9/2016 at 1:51 PM, ukpridewrestler11 said:

Union has won regions since 2004 (my freshman year there). 2003 they got 2nd. 

Who won it that year? I remember that was one of Fort Campbell's better years at the regional tournament but I don't think they won it

12 minutes ago, FalconWrestling said:

Who won it that year? I remember that was one of Fort Campbell's better years at the regional tournament but I don't think they won it

You got me wondering,  so I looked at khsaa records. They didn't have team scores, but did show region placers. Ft campbell sent 12 to state that yr(4 champions), I'd say they probably won region that year. Union also sent 12(3 champions) and Christian co 9(3 champions). 

2 hours ago, halfhalfhalf said:

I know Ft Campbell has a region championship in the 2000's. I also know Christian Co does as well somewhere in the mix.

There was one trophy from about 2003 I remember from the room that might be a region championship trophy. What did you do to all those things anyway?

17 hours ago, FalconWrestling said:

There was one trophy from about 2003 I remember from the room that might be a region championship trophy. What did you do to all those things anyway?

The plaques are in the storage closet. The trophies are in the case. 

I tried sending a message but you can't receive messages for some reason. Here's what I heard from someone within the union program 

106: Zeke.

113: Gabe Adams

120: Trevor Poague, Payne Carr, or another surprise person who could slide into the starting spot. 

126: Saul

132: Bryce 

138: oxford

145: Micah

152: Carlos ?

160: Landon ?

170: Mathias 

182: Buckman or Josh ?

195: Buckman or Hicks

220: Hicks or Heath ?

HWT: Payton Snyder

• Upvote 1