Sign in to follow this  
coachteater

Help make BGSG bigger and better

Bluegrass State Games is ran every July in Lexington. Many Coaches over the years have worked to make it a success and we wish to keep building it. I'll be meeting with the bgsg and trying to both improve everyone's experience and build numbers. I'd like to hear from everyone and see what suggestions you mah have to do this. I appreciate any impute. 

In wrestling,

Scotty Teater 

Not sure not sure if you can do this or not, but do away with all the traditional divisions. Make an elementary division, a middle school division, a high school division, a college/open division. I believe you will find that most people will complain of lack of competition or matches. By making only 4 divisions, this should boost the numbers in the brackets, thus making more matches and possibly better competition. No one outside of central KY wants to travel hours for 1 or 2 matches. Another thing to look at would be adding Freestyle and or Greco. 

I did get rid of traditional divisions this yr.  Made 3-6 man round Robins based on age, weight,  and experience.  Went well and everyone got matches

Edited by coachteater

2 ideas I'm looking into. 

1. Have 2 clinics for the wrestlers.  1 in the morning for the afternoon guys to come to early, then an afternoon clinic for the morning session guys to stay after and do.

2. Looking at holding it out side on the football field.  You could bring canopies,  lawn chairs, and get a tan :)

Thoughts?

Not to be negative, but wrestling outside in July may not be the best idea. Typically July and August in KY is miserably hot and humid. And the clinic idea is ok, but doesn't really have a "WOW" factor. How about have a "featured" match between the morning and afternoon session. Have a Boston vs Brock match, or Coach Green vs JoJo match. You know, something like that.

Not to be negative, but wrestling outside in July may not be the best idea. Typically July and August in KY is miserably hot and humid. And the clinic idea is ok, but doesn't really have a "WOW" factor. How about have a "featured" match between the morning and afternoon session. Have a Boston vs Brock match, or Coach Green vs JoJo match. You know, something like that.

it would definitely have to be weather permitting.  Good for cutting weight though :) 

i like the featured match idea, I'll work on it

Last year it was on a weekend when all of the state's freestyle and Greco officials were in Fargo.  When we only have 4 officials in the state and one retired last year, adding freestyle and Greco would not be feasible.

I love the clinic idea, will make our wrestlers a little better and serve as a warm-up.  Go through USA Wrestling and get a big name.

• Upvote 1

We skipped it for a couple of years but came back this year, our first at Tates Creek. Thought you guys did a great job. 

Like the outside idea, heat don't bother me. :D

More participation is the goal, but it's tough with the timing. 

Anyway, once again, thought you did a great job. Appreciate the effort in trying to make it BIGGER and BETTER. 

Would like to see the dates moved simply because it conflicts with Freestyle nationals. This tournament is probably going to get much closer to KY so that will really hurt the chances of BGSG getting higher attendance. 

2 things-

Would it encourage more guys to wrestle if I used trackwrestling to be able to register. I know this would give you an opportunity to see who is coming. Thought it may be a plus. 

Also , would it encourage clubs to bring large numbers if I gave team trophies? I know we have several who go year around now and with places like etc, no-ox, ik , and CWA I'd love to see large groups and reward them for coming.