Sign in to follow this  
jacca112514

Finishing order

How do you figure what place a person came in if they didn't make the podium? Like for example say a person got lost in the second round of the consolation round where would they place?

I don't think you can figure the exact place.  Best you could probably is say the losers of the placing round earned places 9-12 and group the losers of each round that way.  Of that group you could possibly rank one ahead of the other if they wrestled earlier in the tournament, but even then the losing wrestler sometimes wins the rematch in the same tournament.

Track shows he went 1-2, which a lot of good wrestlers did at that tournament. That puts him between top 16-24. The argument is yours to be made from there.

One could argue if you won your first and lost the second you were higher than someone who lost won then lost but who's to say you wrestle tougher comp as you go but it's random so there is no way of telling without wrestling out to the end .

I was just trying to figure where my son finished so that he would have a goal to beat next year. I think next year's goal should be the podium

That was my son's goal he set this year, to make the podium. In 2 years he had never gotten past the first day. 

I saw some good wrestlers from strong regions get knocked out by the #4 wrestlers from "weak" regions.

So I am not sure the "stacked regions" argument works so well.

I do think it is clear that if you can choose between heavyweight and 200, heavyweight is a lot easier.

Brandon Johnson is a beast, though.

He has thought about packing on some more muscle and going heavyweight but I don't know how good he would do because he is not built like your typical heavyweight because he 6'2" tall

He has thought about packing on some more muscle and going heavyweight but I don't know how good he would do because he is not built like your typical heavyweight because he 6'2" tall

Johnson was not the typical HWT either. 6'3 and 280 his sr year he wrestled smaller last year and prolly 240 his sophomore year. If the kid has the frame to go heavy, great. Beware though, more weight and muscle sometimes limits speed and mobility. Have him hit the weights also. To be able to man handle the big boys, you should also be able to sling some iron.

For the most part with the big boys I really do think it's all about heart. Master a few techniques, and dig deep. Obviously that's not going to get you to a D1 level. But it can get you on the podium at state.