Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2014/2015 - JANUARY 14

Freshman Never start of ranked in any state ? My son was a FIRST yr cadet Fargo AA and placed top four at Iron Man highest nationally ranked Freshman in his class in the country as a Freshman and couldnt get a seed at Swowca lol ,A fresh wins a few matches duiring the yr and he gets ranked by state time ,And yes it gives them incentive .

As far as I know.  Rankings are NOT used at seed meetings.   I could just see it. "Hey my kid should be seeded ??? because the rankings say so". It would never hold any weight, and I don't think it should hold any weight at seed meetings. 

As mentioned the rankings are just for fun and to see where some of the wrestlers you can't/don't see are doing and at what weight they are doing it at.  Then again it does not really matter what weight Johnny is going on the other side of the state.  You choose a weight class you are most comfortable at, then train at that weight and try and demolish anyone who steps in front of you on the mat.  I find that for most kids it better if they don't know the kid standing in front of them, they then just do their thing with no holding back. 

The rankings will work themselves out at State, this is a fun forum to read though. The kids are all working very hard twords their individual goals. I for one am glad my son has not been mentioned in the rankings. He likes to fly under the radar. One wrestler mentioned in the rankings is not even wrestling anymore due to a medical issue, but I like to see him recognized, so he will remain nameless.

Bulldog your right about not wanting or knowing your opponent,that way you can just wrestle but unfortunately my son will see his main competition 4-6 times this year.I know from his past he does much better against kids he knows nothing about.

Bulldog ,im completely puzzled by your post ,if your a coach you should know they use the Rankings ???????at tiurnaments .

Go to Track,Or Baumspage ,almost every tournament uses the rankings for seeding , and I have listend in using my ninja skills because I am not a coach at seed meetings in KY , they in fact use them as well be it official or not ,thats why I do not get a couple of the rankings ,The seed committee has criteria for seeding ,the rankers do not follow any criteria or real rules ,even nationally they do whatever they want and are bias ,I see only one national ranking that uses a criteria based point system to determine its rankingsv,usa Olympian .

State Champ criteria is used a lot and always exceeds normal tournament results .

Rankings are never used in seeding procedures for any wrestling tournament.  Like Crazyhorse mentioned, the criteria used for seeding is predicated on "actual" performances at the state, regional, district, or sectional  tournaments, or placement at the tournament the individual is participating in from the previous year, followed finally by win-loss percentages for current year.  That is why when you look at at Track, Kapp, or Baumspage you will see numbers like  "1.1" or  2.1, or 3.4, or 87%", next to the seed nominations.  The first number represents the criteria used, the number after the decimal is the placement using that criterion.  In the example, a 1.4 would mean a wrestler placed at the state tournament (first criteria) specifically, 4th place.  A "2" would be second criteria, 3 would be 3rd criteria, last criteria would be their win-loss percentages for the current year, etc.  There is never a criteria for "rankings" at any level of the sport.  State Champions would always receive a 1.1 for seeding purposes at 99.9% of all tournaments in the country.  However in your larger tournaments like Super 32 or Ironman, they will use placements in National tournaments as a higher criteria for seeding purposes to appropriately seed the individual state champions competing in that tournament.  As an example, go to Super 32 brackets for this year and look at the seeding nominations.  There were state champions from 6 different states competing in one weight class, maybe even a couple more weight classes were stacked like that.  I assure you, they were not seeded by where they were ranked nationally.  Criteria is always used.  Past performance is the indication used to "predict" or "seed" a wrestler for a tournament.

I appreciate the work that any person on any forum puts into compiling a ranking system.  It is very time consuming and speaks to their level of passion and commitment to the sport.  As a fan, it allows me to see the perceived strength of an individual's ability that I would not want to dive into their accomplishments and do the research myself.  At the end of the day, a wrestler has to enter the circle, step on the line, and go.  Therein is the only determinant of whom is truly number one.  Regardless of their seed, but more importantly, where they are in a ranking.

Thanks for the efforts Ranger and Dutch...I find value in what you put out.  Please keep it coming

That is correct they use state placement ,I am totally wrong ,Rankings mean absolutely nothing ,I didnt hear coaches at seed meetings talking about them ,and yes StATe placement supersedes win loss record duiring the yr You are right thats EXACTLY why I said the rankers do not follow any set criteria like they do at seeding meetings .

yes they are meaningless ,so if you think they do not look at rankings like the press at seed meetings keep drinking the Koolaid.

When you pick up the paper on rare occasions to read about wrestling,and they talk about teams they use past state placement and always mention CURRENTLY ranked thats these rankings ,They are not just for fun

Really lol now no newspapers report wrestling in NKY go to the sports section not the funnies ,I have read a few articles this yr already ,

And I have heard coaches bring them up and get told state placement supersedes them again thats why I said rankings do not use set criteria seedings do for the tenth time

And they hype up the wrestler the school the team and the COACH .

My Force is very strong You have been reading about it for yrs Bulldog .

Can we please start using a little punctuation? It might be a little easier to follow some of these mind numbing rants if they were put together coherently. And please, before you attack me for saying this, look at your comments. If they are punctuated, I'm obviously not referring to you. Being someone who doesn't troll the forums nonstop, it is a little hard to follow certain people's comments without feeling some sort of clarification is needed. Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

Aaron Chandler at 152 for Central Hardin has wins over the ranked wrestlers from Anderson, Meade, DuPont Manual, John Hardin and maybe a few more. His few losses are to #2 Ackley, #6 Williams and #13 Eldridge though I have surely missed one. Track has his record at 22-4, and that sounds about right from being at most of CH's tournaments. No, he isn't my kid or even best buddies with my kid. I'm honestly trying to help and ask forgiveness for any bias I may have by being a Bruins parent/fan. As always, much gratitude to Ranger and anyone who helps to put these rankings together.

Aaron Chandler at 152 for Central Hardin has wins over the ranked wrestlers from Anderson, Meade, DuPont Manual, John Hardin and maybe a few more. His few losses are to #2 Ackley, #6 Williams and #13 Eldridge though I have surely missed one. Track has his record at 22-4, and that sounds about right from being at most of CH's tournaments. No, he isn't my kid or even best buddies with my kid. I'm honestly trying to help and ask forgiveness for any bias I may have by being a Bruins parent/fan. As always, much gratitude to Ranger and anyone who helps to put these rankings together.

. It all shakes out at state. My son Belk has wins over 4 top 20 kids and wins over 3 top 10 in Ohio. It all shakd out in the state tourney. So ranking don't mean anything until their next match.
  • Upvote 1

CC has only wrestled outside of NKY in KY once this yr ,so it will be good to see the rest of the state at least once before the state tournament ,He has been practicing some with Moellers state ranked 220 and Hvy and some other pretty good kids in Ohio who are also ranked there ,Its like he has a Force field so far this year he doesnt give up a TD in tournaments or practice .I think he looks at it as his season is just now starting and he is trying to up his intensity ,A very big yr ahead two nat folkstyle events cen reg and Fargo and hopeflly a couple fr gr tourneys in Ohio.

I sure hope Austin enjoy his final state title this year.  To see the big boy smile is something else.  He deserved to have a big smile after number 4.  All the nay sayers or haters need to keep to themselves at the state tourney this year and allow him to enjoy his final romp through the Ky state tourney.  I for one believe he should get a standing Ovations after his final win.   There is not a nicer kid around off the mat (he's a killer on the mat) and deserves all the respect after his sr. and final year hear in the bluegrass state.  

If I don't get the chance to say it at the state tourney congrats Austin.  To many more important people will be congratulating you at the state for me to probably get close enough to do it in person.  

Austin has had a great career one of the greats for sure. He is a warrior but so is raynel brown people can't sleep on him he is an artist and won't stop till he gets it even if it means eating giants

Yes good luck to Raynell He will have his work cut out for him at state as will everyone .

How about Yenter I think he has outdid his rankings more than anyone all year from out of the top ten too what has to be #1 or possibly a tie for the spot.