Sign in to follow this  
Ranger123

Kentuckywrestling.com HS Rankings 2013/2014 - December 17

I didn't see it, but it sounds like the Raider Rumble did not disappoint with a lot of big matchups and plenty of "upsets" (or maybe just kids showing the hard work they have put in).  We still have a long way to go before the showdown at the horsepark and I'm sure plenty of kids will make some weight changes, but here is an early update to spark some debate.  A couple of notes:

1) As a result of CC/St X looking a little vulnerable at a couple weights, I think Union has established themselves as the clear favorite at this point in both dual and tournament formats.  Woodford has put themselves right in the picture for runner up and potentially as a title contender.

2) Only 182 had a shakeup at the top and 182 looks like it could be a barnburner if all of these guys stay put.  I'm not sure where Smith will end up (170 or 182), so there is still a lot in flux at this weight.

WR Rankings December_17_2013.xlsx

WR Rankings December_17_2013.pdf

I was fortunate enough to see the King of the Bluegrass this weekend. I was shocked as 1 team no one had stated or ranked finished second behind NORTH HARDIN. The 195 Parrot for NH is legit. He is extremely quick and strong.Saw another wrestler in 1 weight class ranked in the top 20 go 2 and out. Should be and interesting season.

The Burke twins are not wrestling for Eastern this year.  Also: How do you go undefeated on the season, pin through the KOB and drop in the rankings?  170 - Josh Case?

Ohio county has a 106 Kaleb Sapp that beat your #16 Quintilla at KOB. And lost to Burroughs in the finals also beat #19 louie Rugaldo twice last year. looks like he should be in your top 20 soon

Smith won 182 at the Rumble in the toughest class there ,Meiman was beaten badly at 170 by a good wrestler but still showed very little as far as being able to upend a top notch wrestler who wants it ,that i think all four of the top guys at 182 are If any of them drop ,I would take Smith as of right now in that match up and Courtney and Frankrone as well if they drop,Mathews will remain at 182 either because of weight or his team outlook and he can win either 182 or 170 on a good day .

How do you go undefeated on the season, pin through the KOB and drop in the rankings?  170 - Josh Case?

Not 100% sure.  But my guess would be

1.  no-one posted the results of the KOB.

2.  No-one has posted the results of Easterns matches

3.  KOB is no where near the tourney of the Raider Rumble. (a mid level tourney at best)

4.  Maybe the wins of those who moved above him were more prestigious wins agains tougher opponenents.

Fair enough on the second point, but The Champions of KOB are posted on the KOB thread.  No one said KOB was at/near the level of the Rumble. I reported results for a couple of years and never got a response, so I stopped doing it. 

The kid accomplished something and looked good doing it.  IMO It should get acknowledged. It will all play out on the mat regardless.

3 others to watch (not to win the state tourney but be ranked possibly in the top 9-12 in the 182's). The top 8 (Right now unless someone drops like Mikey Smith or Courtney or Frankrone Mattews from the Rumble at Ryle and non Ryle Rumblees Devin Smith, Braden Jones, Mike Saunders and Jake Fooks (if Jake is wrestling 182 this year and not 195) on any given match can beat each other. Yes the 182's are strong ! The 3 sleepers that arn't ranked in Rangers rankings are .. Brandon Devens (Boyle County) John Blythe (Franklin County) Christian Bowlings (Montgomery County) . There will be more as I learn about who's what and where etc.. but keep an eye out on these guys !

The 170's are just crazy this year and it's hard to predict who will end up where. Some of the top ranked guys like M Smith, Jacob Warwick,Derek Hicks etc are wrestling 182 but look for one or even 2 of them to drop after Christmas and the 2 pounds are added.

With Parrot coming back down to wrestle 195's that really leaves a 3 horse race with him, Thompson and Miller and I'd take them in that order. Saunders and Morrow are also very good but look for one of the strong 182's to possibly jump to 195 as well to even out the studs so to speak... Good luck all and have a great season !

I didn't see it, but it sounds like the Raider Rumble did not disappoint with a lot of big matchups and plenty of "upsets" (or maybe just kids showing the hard work they have put in).  We still have a long way to go before the showdown at the horsepark and I'm sure plenty of kids will make some weight changes, but here is an early update to spark some debate.  A couple of notes:

1) As a result of CC/St X looking a little vulnerable at a couple weights, I think Union has established themselves as the clear favorite at this point in both dual and tournament formats.  Woodford has put themselves right in the picture for runner up and potentially as a title contender.

2) Only 182 had a shakeup at the top and 182 looks like it could be a barnburner if all of these guys stay put.  I'm not sure where Smith will end up (170 or 182), so there is still a lot in flux at this weight.

3 others to watch (not to win the state tourney but be ranked possibly in the top 9-12 in the 182's). The top 8 (Right now unless someone drops like Mikey Smith or Courtney or Frankrone Mattews from the Rumble at Ryle and non Ryle Rumblees Devin Smith, Braden Jones, Mike Saunders and Jake Fooks (if Jake is wrestling 182 this year and not 195) on any given match can beat each other. Yes the 182's are strong ! The 3 sleepers that arn't ranked in Rangers rankings are .. Brandon Devens (Boyle County) John Blythe (Franklin County) Christian Bowlings (Montgomery County) . There will be more as I learn about who's what and where etc.. but keep an eye out on these guys !

The 170's are just crazy this year and it's hard to predict who will end up where. Some of the top ranked guys like M Smith, Jacob Warwick,Derek Hicks etc are wrestling 182 but look for one or even 2 of them to drop after Christmas and the 2 pounds are added.

With Parrot coming back down to wrestle 195's that really leaves a 3 horse race with him, Thompson and Miller and I'd take them in that order. Saunders and Morrow are also very good but look for one of the strong 182's to possibly jump to 195 as well to even out the studs so to speak... Good luck all and have a great season !

Have to agree with you CC seemed as if it would be very tough this year even with a couple studs n state finalists and champs missing from last yr ,

Not so sure now they seem to be in dissaray but did not come together till around mid season last yr ,ONE thing for certain everyone not taking the sport seriously or thinking they can skip this tourny or that one for any reason is not good for a team or its chances ,Time to man up ,

HEard so many kids were out taking acts duiring the rumble i know school is school but if your a wrestler and care for the sport schedule your ACT at another time ,not duiring one of the states biggest tournaments ,like who misses a playoff game to take an act duiring football season its hillarious .

The ACT is offered many times throughout the year which is why I have never understood why wrestlers would take it during wrestling season.

You can't just blame the wrestlers many of them are told by their parents when to take the ACT. I for one postponed my ACT testing until after the season.

This school years ACT scheduled dates

Sept 21, 2013

Oct 26, 2013

December 14, 2013

February 8, 2014

April 12, 2014

June 14, 2014

Ranger123: I do not envy you in the least trying to put these rankings together. I know some individuals will get their feelings hurt but life goes on as usual. It is tough trying to place individuals who you have little information about into a weight and a so called rank worthy position. Like many observers on here from in and out of the state, we all know you have placed some of these young men in the incorrect weight class and some that may or may not should be even ranked at all. Of course there are many that did not make it into the ranking that should be there. Is that your fault? NO!!! Of course you will get ridiculed and spat on by many folks on here but I am sure you lose very little sleep at night over it. I just want to commend you on the courage to continue to do this even through all the *itching you receive daily I am sure!

I tell young wrestlers all the time that it is not what you are ranked but what you can do on a mat. I know when I was in my youth (several/many years ago!!!) my parents and coaches made me understand you should not give a rats butt about someone deciding if you are number 1 or 100. I beat many number 1 ranked individuals and got beat by them as well. Young men need to be mentally tough and want to go meet that challenge head on!! Remember the guy on top has everything to lose so who is the pressure on?

Bulldog-leader: You are right about the ACT scheduling but if your wrestler has not taken it yet then why discourage him from doing so? If he/she is a Senior and waits to take it during their senior year then you should definitely let them. Reason being, if they bomb it then they have a chance to improve their score if they are really serious about going to college. Now, coaches and parents should encourage their young men/ladies to take their ACT starting their Freshman year. That way they have the ability to find out the areas they are weak in and can help to prepare themselves. The statistics show the more times you take it the better you do. Plus, there are some guidelines in the NCAA that you might want to check out to help assist your athletes. It will be a big deciding factor in receiving sports scholarships also. It is one thing to be an exceptional athlete but another to be a exceptional intelligent athlete.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL YOU KENTUCKY WRESTLERS THIS COMING WEEKEND!!!!  

IN-G

You are correct however there are 6 possible dates to take the ACT.  Two before and 2 after wrestling season.  Plus in KY every Junior takes the ACT for free at their school.  If you are serious about attending college and wrestling you have opportunity to juggle both of them so that they don't cross over.

Plus if you are an above average wrestler you would want to hone  your skills even more, for the possibility of a scholly in wrestling. 

To me there are very few reasons to take the ACT during wrestling season.  If they are a senior they have already taken it once their Jr. year at school.

Bulldog-leader

I do agree with Mpire and you that there are just some tournaments you may not want to miss, ie.. Ironman, Raider Rumble, Dragon. Those type you are going to see some of the top competitors in your state or country. If your guys are taking it before their Senior year then good and then you can be selective about your test dates and should not miss out on the season. My point was if you have Seniors that have not taken the ACT then you make want to really consider taking the test. That way you can get another chance before you run out of time. Now there are some things to take into consideration when hoping for that scholarship as an athlete. If you are the best in the country then you might get a full ride maybe. I have spoke with many college coaches and very few wrestlers get full rides. So that is where the combined GPA and the ACT score come into play. If you are NCAA exempt you are most likely going to receive more than if you are non-exempt. You can still be NCAA eligible and be non-exempt. Now, NAIA falls under different guidelines and I am not as familiar with that side.

I hate seeing any young man/lady miss out on a chance to compete but we have to look out for their future too. It is all about setting the kids up for success on and off the mat.

That was pretty much the point ,missing a not so important dual for the ACT would not be that big a deal ,Missing the Rumble or any big tourny when you are a starter for your team in KY and that team is depending on you for the W or even if your just an above average guy trying to get noticed for some ranking cred and a shot at getting noticed is another thing all together .There seem to be many opportunities to take the ACT only four in your life to get it done at each tourny if your a starter .oh i forgot in KY jr high kids get a shot LOL well 4 5 or 6 if your Brock LEvel

Ranger, as always I admire the work you do and think it's spot on for the most part.  Was wondering if you had thought about doing a pound-for-pound ranking like Flo does for college wrestling?  I'm sure it would generate some serious discussion.  If you don't have the time it would certainly be understandable.  However I would be interested in your opinion on this... thoughts?

• Upvote 1

I'm sure if Ranger had more help, he'd be willing to a pound-for-pound ranking.

But I believe he's the only one putting these together, and a lot of coaches still do not send him information.

Wow! Christmas must have you guys in the mood to hand out the compliments. Thanks! Working out the middle school right now. Would have finished that Monday but took our varsity B to Harrison County tournament. I'll try to put a P4P top into the next round after New Years.

My New Years top 6 rankings;

106-

1. Hurst (wc)

2. Hernandez (hc)

3. Burroughs (nh)

4. Stephans (mcc)

5. Siddons (moore)

6. Ochenbien (nold)

113-

1. Hernandez (hc)

2. Vega (fern)

3. Sheffer (union)

4. Scaggs (dh)

5. Bindner (stx)

6. Hall (moore)

120-

1. Boston (wc)

2. Poynter (moore)

3. Beeler (meade)

4. Erdman (ryle)

5. Francis (jc)

6. Krebs (cc)

126-

1. Austin (chc)

2. Carr (wc)

3. Duncan (trin)

4. Emerson (old)

5. Dezember (union)

6. Sparh (cc)

132-

1. Fausz (cc)

2. Blackwell (union)

3. Heidorf (trin)

4. Erdman (ryle)

5. Haddad (stx)

6. Lannum (danv)

138-

1. Ervin (union)

2. Matlock (chc)

3. Perez (lar)

4. West (nh)

5. Wilkerson (old)

6. Vasquez (laf)

145-

1. Whalen (hc)

2. Kahl (trin)

3. Oxford (union)

4. Andreoni (wc)

5. Jude (jc)

6. Little (nh)

152-

1. Lampe (stx)

2. Brown (walt)

3. Gahefer (union)

4. Sells (chc)

5. Agnew (cald)

6. Green (laf)

160-

1. Lampe (stx)

2. Jones (walt)

3. Raush (nold)

4. Overman (ch)

5. Belk (ryle)

6. Shacklett (meade)

170-

1. Meiman (ryle)

2. Miozza (trin)

3. Turner (cc)

4. Ryder (ftc)

5. Case (east)

6. Mink (way)

182-

1. Smith (moore)

2. Courtney (wc)

3. Frankrone (trin)

4. Matthews (cc)

5. Dodd (fern)

6. Fooks (bc)

195-

1. Parrot (nh)

2. Miller (scott)

3. Thompson (conn)

4. Saunders (bull)

5. Morrow (way)

6. Mcintosh (old)

220-

1. Myers (cc)

2. Mueller (sk)

3. Matingly (jh)

4. Scaggs (fern)

5. Niece (jc)

6. Carter (union)

285-

1. Young (laf)

2. Daugherty (ch)

3. Lawson (nels)

4. Brown (union)

5. Johnson (dh)

6. Sinclair (cc)

Not bad Kentuckywrestler .. I would have to say just a few differences... 182's Fooks has been wrestling 195 all season. He may go 182 but you left off Saunders from Bullit Central. Also Braden Jones beat Dodd in the finals of the 5 star. They've wrestled twice and honestly Dodd hasn't gotten a move on him. He did do a good job of covering up etc and wrestled a smart match but if they go again I'd take Jones in a second. Also Jonah Schacklet from Meade is wrestling 182 and Cole Sherman is off to a good start for Union at 182.. Where is Devin Smith ? It's a shame but Logan Jones is done for the season at 160... Class kid and I'm sick about it...