Sign in to follow this  
Haystack

SEED The State Tournament!!!!

I think grappler-of-old is onto something with his last post.  If we have to keep a 32 man bracket (which I would prefer we not), go back to the three weekend state tournament series.  District, Region, State.  The one thing I would like us not to do in his system, however, is seed the State Tournament.  You seed the District, draw in the placers for the Regional based on their performance the weekend before at the District, and then draw in the wrestlers for State based on their performance at the Regional level.  The state tournament series should be based on performance, not seeding, and the system offered  by grappler-of-old offers a more refined system than we currently have.  Will it keep all the top notch wrestlers from wrestling before the finals?  No.  But it will allow a system by which they are more spread out.  

One of the things about our 32 man bracket is that the best are almost guaranteed to be at State...and place.  When you research the states around us with larger wrestling populations; Indiana, Illinois, etc.  They often have high level kids that never make it to State.  We are concerned about some of our best kids wrestling in the Semis or Quarters when they have #1 and #2 ranked kids wreslting for the chance to qualify for State.  No, we are not those states, but we can learn something from them.  

I once heard a coach say that it is better to be lucky than good...sometimes the draw is just that.

I've been thinking about this again.

I have a better option.

1A:  

Regional tournament held 1st week

Placement to the top 6

Only top five move on to Sectionals (6th place would be the alternate)

Sectionals held 2nd Week.

You now have a 10 man bracket.  (The tournament can still be run in one day)

Placement to the top 10 (all place)

Only top 8 move on to state (That means 9th place would be alternate)

(Now there is a sense of accomplishment into qualifying to the state tourney.

State held 3rd Week. 

Still have a 32 man bracket.

Only 4 sectional winners. (this would reduce chances of to much talent on one side.)

You could then possibly be able to seed the sectional winners based on the previous years performance.

Any state champion gets top seed.

If multiple state champions then the one returning in the same wt.

If not returning same wt. The wrestler that was closest to the same wt last year.

If still not solved then random draw the seed between the 2 wrestslers then move to the next seed.

And state runner up gets top seed or next best seed.

etc. etc.

returning state placers only get seeded. All rest are random draw.

you only have to seed 4 wrestlers it could be done much easier.

Now you're talking! This, or something similar is the way to go. It works well across the river. Allow the kids to settle the "seeds" on the mat.  The brackets even out. The only time this is not the case is if a top kid gets upset at the sectional level. Even so, that "top" kid just might have been overrated to begin with.

• Upvote 1

Rumbler62 is exactly right. It will not be seeded because all other sports including Football and Basketball would want it as well. Basketball is the money maker and if that tournament is not seeded, I do not see anyway the KHSAA seeds the wrestling tournament.

I also agree with GOO but with the Regions just being realigned, I also do not see a format change coming anytime soon either. Im not trying to shoot everything down because I do think they are all great solutions but I just do not see this change coming anytime soon. I could be wrong though.

Even without seeding, you go to GOO's format and you have less of a chance of the "top dogs" meeting until semi's at least.  With only four #1's vs eight it will thin the herd a little more.  Also it gives another wrestler a chance at making it to state and helps alleviate the regional strength discrepancies.  Plus you have an extra post-season tournament.

Further, you take a format like GOO's and then at state you can easily give separation to returning placers. What GOO has proposed is what works in Ohio. Everybody qualifies for one of 16 sectionals. Top four go to one of four districts, 16 man bracket seeded according to placement at sectional. Top four from each district goes to state. Again a 16 man bracket seeded according to placement at district. As GOO stated, this gives making it to state some creedence. Returning top placers are separated as best as possible. This can work for a 32 man bracket as well. Though I think 32 is way too many to qualify for state.

The 32 man bracket for the khsaa means alot more revenue . Think about that for a minute ... $25.00 a tourney pass that adds up quick . I just don't look for any changes soon. I love goos's format where he does in a way have the 32 man brackwet kind of seeded I just doubt the khsaa will change formats soon. Again I'm all for it I've just worked with Tackett and Larry Bouchers before and changes are not easily approved. The venue site could be changed especially if it means a better deal for the khsaa .  I'm sure they get the revenues from the gate and tee shirts etc and alltech gets the concessions and has to provide all the PA eqiupment  which the khsaa will ask schools to donate.  They i'm sure would also pay for table workers etc . There's so many political things going on but getting an arena that will agree to a lot of those terms is hard to find. I may be wrong but I've hosted state tournaments before in softball and I didn't have much say lol... I will say however that they did always want to put on a show for the kids.

I'm glad you like the idea.  I was trying to find a way to meet everyones gripes about seeding and such.

(As most of you know I don't necessarily like the 32 man bracket or seeding)

I honestly don't think you would need to seed if done this way. 

My next adventure will be to look at this years state tourney and see how things may have changes using my new format.  Using the outcome of the state tourney as a reference to who would beat who in the Sectionals since it would be the second week.  (Ie McIlrath defeating Courtney at the state toureny instead of the other way around like in regional).

Any suggestions at to what wt. class(es) to start with?